1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The next big panic

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Oct 9, 2018.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Sheep would rather bitch at the media (and in the process act like he knows something about meteorology when he clearly knows sheepdip) than actually source info where it is best sourced. Media fuck up science communication on a daily basis, but about half of that is due to the public's inability to understand the nature of estimates and uncertainty. See the weather thread for an example.
    Why ratings don't tell you everything.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Simplistic ratings are for the target audience. It doesn't always work, but provide a lot of folk with too much info and they tune you out.

David-imoddavid likes this.
  3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Ehh...we need the water any way. I've lived through enough of the bad ones to know what to worry about.

4. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Interesting article but the media crazy WAS the discussion.

Hurricanes are easy IMO. You hear of a tropical storm coming toward you pay attention to https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ for path info. If it becomes a hurricane with you in the cone consider leaving at T-3. If you live in a hurricane area have 5+ gallons of gas and 5 gallons of water on hand all season if possible. With five gallons of gas you can get out of town a decent distance if there is a run on gas. 5 gallons of water will keep you alive a while. Oh and if you stay consider the people that die in flooding are usually because they tried to cross running water etc.

https://gizmodo.com/how-a-hurricane-is-going-to-kill-you-1786044931

Stay safe folks.

Now tornadoes on the other hand sneaky sons of bitches and these things..... well add a chainsaw and remember the 5 gallons of gas?
    sharknado.jpg

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

How's that working for you now? :crackup:

GixxerBlade likes this.
  6. sheepofblue

Perfect I would have left the coast even at a CAT2. Now if it can drag the rain away from Baa-rber for a dry weekend....

I was surprised though. I thought the loss of solar energy at night would reduce it. The shallower warmer water was a bigger factor though. Oh and it is a CAT4 while the pros called for a CAT3 at landfall..... does that mean I need to be a drama queen all day :beer:

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

This thread is a turd. Stop trying to polish it. :crackup:

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Would we notice a change? :D

dtalbott likes this.
  9. sheepofblue

triggered.jpg
    aflac-duck.jpg

10. sheepofblue

One of the tenacles is almost touching us. Looks like Atlanta is getting the full storm though. Watch out for tornadoes folks.

11. Venom51

I'll try to keep the car cover on the Volvo....

It's rained for about 8 seconds this morning.

12. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

We've had mist all morning. Kinda got my hair fucked up.

StaccatoFan and sheepofblue like this.
  13. Venom51

Oh the horror...the frizzing must be unbearable.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

He might break a nail trying to tame the split ends.

dtalbott likes this.
  15. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It's the knots in his undercoat that are the problem.

R Acree likes this.
  16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Back on topic, but I think these "disasters" are actually really good for the local economies. Between the insurance payouts and the government assistance, massive amounts of money pour in and the whole area gets revitalized. Without the storm, all of that money would sit in the coffers of the insurance companies.

17. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

All y'all suck it.

18. sheepofblue

:rolleyes: then rates would eventually go down. It is not good for anyone prepared and for stupid folks it could be fatal. But that is true of a lot of life. Go out for a walk in Fairbanks AK in January without proper prep and you will likely die from that also. I hope there is no one hurt but there will be. Who knows a weatherman might even starve a brain eating amoeba that got trapped while he was standing in a ditch.

19. sheepofblue

20. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

But how many sit ups can you do after that Volvo impact:D