1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So who are the Adv riders here?

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Mar 19, 2018.

1. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

How big is that fuel tank???

2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I joke with my friends that on the next trip, I'm going to take a black sharpie and write "6 GALLONS" on the sides. But then I won't get to talk to every person we meet on the trail. Between that and the pink tu-tu, I got to meet a lot of fun folks in CO. :rolleyes:

acorn27 likes this.
  3. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

I'll be riding my WR250 from Eagle River WI to High Rock Bay at the tip of the UP in Michigan this weekend. I have a 2 gal tank with a 30 oz MSR fuel bottle if things get dicy (probably won't). Always nice to not have to worry about running out of gas.

4. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

I'm partial to the 1150GS's. I've never owned a GSA, but if I need that much gas, I rig an aux tank for roughly 11 gallons total.

5. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Anybody going tripping anywhere this fall?

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Just returned from 3300 miles in Central Europe on my Africa Twin. It was a nice ride.

jrsamples likes this.
  7. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

Planning on Baja ride, tip to tip in November and March. I'll ride my 701 in November and the 501 in March because there will be more offroad on that trip.

jrsamples likes this.
  8. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Dang, you guys are living. The trip I'm trying to work out soon seems pretty small now: Utah, Tule desert, Doll House in Canyonlands, then Big Empty in southern WY if it's not too cold. Camp every night.

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

A lot of ADV Honda’s at my house lately :D

and GROMs and a hey that’s a Monkey in the middle :cool:

In fact that wasn't all the Africa Twins there, couple more lurking ;)

Best selling big ADV bike right now.

[​IMG]

10. duggram

Retired and living the dream!

11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We just did very close to that route for our family vacation back in August. I wished I was on my bike the whole time.

jrsamples likes this.
  12. rd400racer

I'll have to say, I'm kind of digging this new Guzzi that's heading our way in the near future. As long as it's not a porker it might be the bike I've been looking for. It looks slightly retro but supposed to have all the modern tech such as TC, CC and of course ABS.

[​IMG]

motoboy likes this.
  13. duggram

Is that the Stelvio 1200 NTX? 598 pounds with 8.5 gallons of fuel, and $16,190. Sure looks good but too heavy for me. I'm still waiting on the T7 and 790. I read on ADVrider that deposits are flying into Yamaha dealers on the T7 and we probably won't see them until next fall.

14. rd400racer

Nope,it's the brand new V85TT, so I suspect it's an 850. Yamaha has been teasing the T7 for so long that I won't believe it until I see one in the flesh. Even then, it's too much of a dirt bike for me. I've already got a YZ250:D

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Yes, it is a smaller version of the Stelvio, likely to have a bit better manners on dirt roads. It is purdy, though. Even with the smaller displacement versus the Steve, it is still going to weigh somewhere around 450 dry. In that grouping the Beemer 800 GS should be the better bike with a little more h.p. at 85, 392 lbs. dry, and 9.1 and 8.5 inches of travel. I can't see the V85 having over 6 inches of travel on those legs, but I could be wrong. They are all still too heavy for lil-ol-me, sticking with my Hyper.

16. duggram

It's amazing to me that there is a a parallel twin coming out that we can think of as a dirt bike. But I understand you. I got a 701, which I really like a lot, but it's just a better highway version of my 501 with a close ratio trans. The weight of the 701 is 320 dry and that's great for an old man. However, I still feel like I'm wanting that perfect highway/two track mid weight bike.

17. duggram

Thanks for the info and opinion. I'll need to keep up with the V85 progress.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

We're all waiting for the perfect bike. For now, at least for me, its still the KLR650.

19. Inquizid

Inquizid Member Well-Known

KLR vs 701 is like apples to oranges.

I could see the appeal of both depending on the circumstances.

Multiple bikes always seems the solution to the quest for the perfect one. Although a hyper gets pretty close for me.

20. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jrsamples and Britt like this.
  21. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Picking up my new 1090 KTM on Saturday. I liked my 12GS, but the heads were too easy to touch the ground with.

jrsamples and duggram like this.