1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting that new-car shine

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Sep 22, 2018.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

FCA :Poke:

2. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

OOOOF! (new information, says spun off now tho as of 2 years ago... christ) :Puke:

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I think we are violently in agreement. Even the wraps come with their own issues. When it does its job and protects the paint from that rock that just went smashing into it they don't come out of it unscathed every time. If you don't replace the damaged section than you end up after a few washes with a spot that collects shit and turns black. They become a maintenance item as well or you have to live with the impact marring just as you would the paint. The edges are also another area that can lift slightly and collect crap under them and the only way to get rid of them is to trim the edge back.

BigBird likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

yep. they made some $$ selling off, but that article was a 2015 and I believe FCA at that time.

5. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

nothing like applying mass production and assembly line efficiency/acceptable QC to something that's supposed to be rare and special...

[​IMG]

BigBird likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Yeah! I'll kick your ass if you disagree! :crackup:

The price of a professional, well-done wrap is certainly a hard pill to swallow but, if done on day one, it really makes a lot of sense. Had I done it to the 'Vette, I wouldn't even be thinking about a respray now. A respray now is almost like throwin' good money after bad cuz I know if I don't wrap it after a respray, it's just gonna go to shit, making a respray almost pointless. To make it a point, I'd have to wrap the respray...now my respray has cost me twice as much as an initial wrap.
    If only I had known...

7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What about that rubber crap instead of a wrap?

8. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Wrap it the o.e.m color problem solved!

You're welcome!:D

BigBird likes this.
  9. joec

joec brace yourself

Dude... Just drive the thing into a snowbank the first chance you get. It's inevitable up there anyway. :)

10. fastfreddie

Damn. WTF is that shit called? (I forget.) I think it's more of a temporary or constant maintenance thing, like, spray it down the side of your Jeep so you don't pinstripe your paint with the shrubbery when you go wheelin'. Some people swear by it...cover the entire vehicle with it.

11. fastfreddie

Derp!
    :crackup:
    I considered a Monster Dark wrap but...not sure how a satin finish could be replicated on vinyl.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

There's PlastiDip and now AutoFlex
    https://jalopnik.com/this-removable-paint-is-like-plasti-dip-but-all-grown-u-1783482823

13. fastfreddie

That's is, PlastiDip.

14. Venom51

Plasti-Dip.

15. fastfreddie

What-Ever. :D

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

All of this stuff makes me think of those miserable plastic covers people used to put over furniture to keep it nice. Yes, it protects the vehicle but it also keeps you from enjoying it completely. Somebody said something similar on here in a conversation about not riding your motorcycle too hard, something akin to not having sex with your wife because you’re saving her for the next guy:crackup:

17. Venom51

Ehhh….I just like my shit to be in good shape while I own it. I tend to keep shit forever however so there really is no saving it for the next guy,

BigBird likes this.
  18. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

WHATEVER you use, I'm a fan of washing thoroughly with dawn detergent, and maybe wash it one more time. The goal is to remove any other waxes prior to applying C-Magic, er...I mean, whatever you choose to use!

Not all waxes play well together. They won't damage your car, but the optics probably won't be good.

19. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

Nice. They are good folks. Tell 'em that you found out about them from the idiot with the Backdraft and the RS5. I learned about him from that Skip character and a neighbor who used to work for ProLine Racing and they sent lots of cars over there. Along with his vehicles.

Yeah, that's how I found out it was done. That was posted and then the phone rang.

https://www.facebook.com/glasslifeatlanta/posts/859407074269956

-steve

BigBird likes this.
  20. Venom51

That's a bad ass ride Brunton.