1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Protecting that new-car shine

Discussion in 'General' started by In Your Corner, Sep 22, 2018.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Is a ceramic coating actually ceramic? I thought that stuff had to be baked at high temp.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Can you get us a deal?

:crackup: Sorry, had momentary blast of cheapass racer come over me :D

3. Do what I did to my Jeep. 3m clear bra the whole thing, when it gets scratched off roading peel that piece off and put a new one on.

Your welcome.

4. Just looked at the website, might have to try it on the boat. Definitely have confidence and stand behind their product, that says a lot.

5. Just buy it and use it as. WERA expense :). That was too easy

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

How much do these various techniques cost? How much do they add to resale value?

7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Funny y'all being so persnickety about the finish on your vehicles.

When I bought my F150, I was still a smoker. I smoked a Camel on the way out of the dealer lot and put the butt out in the ashtray.

When I got home, I went into the garage and got the 16# sledge, climbed into the bed of the truck with it, held it out at eye level and dropped it into the bed.

I suppose that things are different for a car owner, but I haven't owned a 'car' in almost 30 years.

On topic... Is Meguiars (sp?) worth buying? They seemed to have the best marketing campaign last time I looked for wax.

speedluvn and sdiver like this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Why? Is it superstition, kind of like laying on the ground in new leathers?

9. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

The best advice is to not worry about it so much. What follows in this post can become a rabbit hole to insanity. :D

The gold standard for a daily is paint protection film plus ceramic both with professional application. Not talking about concours cars which are rarely driven and continuosly detailed.

You can learn paint protection film application but expect to make some expensive mistskes.

CQuartz UK and Opti Gloss Coat are a couple great ceramic products which can be used successfully by a non-pro. You pay a pro for the paint correction that goes into it before the ceramic.

Washing is a whole different story. Many are using foam cannons and detailer products for excessive grime. Consider Opti No Rinse for occasional touch up washes and car dusters in between.

Always use appropriate tools so as not to scratch the paint. Work the wheels and other high grime areas separately, then with clean products go top down. Dont let grime from the bottom contaminate your tools and create scratches in other areas.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    BigBird, Aberk and panthercity like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah....that comes under the must be approved by Evelyne category :crackup:

11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Most of these products are done by only a handful of chemical blending companies. Most of the "brands" are a packaging and marketing effort. The entire market is based on customer perception. Do you see anyone producing test results that can conclusively prove that "their" product produces a higher level of shine or paint depth when compared to their competitors? My advice is to try a few products, finds what works for you and produces results that please you and take anything any of them say in their marketing with a small mountain of salt.

I have products from Meguiar's that I like. Particularly their leather conditioner. Not because I can prove it protects and nourishes the leather better than other products but frankly I like the way it smells and that fact that it isn't greasy on the surface when you buff it off. Their M105 and M205 compounds and finishing polish all work very well.

Compounds, polishes, waxes and sealants are entirely open for debate about which product is the best. I like the synthetic polymer sealants for one specific reason. Glancing a piece of black plastic with it won't result in a white stain that quite frankly sucks to try to remove. That's it. Does a Carnuba wax add more depth and gloss. Perhaps and it does if you believe it to do so when you use it. Does it last as long as the synthetics? I don't know does you car sit in the sun all day everyday? Does it live in the garage 9 months out of the year? Too many variable in all of it to say specifically that product A is better than product B.

BigBird likes this.
  12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Is that what the CMRA BOD did?

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nothing has ever won at Pebble beach due to the wax that was on it. Everything that wins did so because of the 200 to 1000 hours of labor put into it before the wax ever got applied.

BigBird and TurboBlew like this.
  14. So unless it’s for her car she will make you pay out of your own pocket, and still do her car.

15. Sounds like way too much work. We have a guy named StringBean detail the wife’s cars. StringBean has a “shop” in the hood. Not sure what he uses on the car as he puts his polish in little squirt bottles but he’s quite a character and funny as hell to watch Buff a car.

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Mcguires leather stuff. Mmmmmm smells awesome. Love that shit.

17. Schitzo42

Schitzo42 dweeb

I had the Backdraft done with ceramic coating at Glasslife Atlanta four months or so ago. The RS5 is up there right now getting done.

-steve

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Exactly! Hence the hundreds of dollars of unused product in my cabinet in the basement :D

19. We moved this weekend. I have more than one neatly organized totes of unused or just used a tiny bit of high end stuff. Really all I ever use is stuff to buff out scratches.

20. Rs5? Damn you. I love those. We couldn’t even get an s when we got the q7 a few months back.