Odd-Ball Picture of the Day

Discussion in 'General' started by bitchcakes, Sep 27, 2014.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

That's the scene of the only fatality, an 18-year-old man who was in that car, which was hit by the falling chimney.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

When I was in juniir high our industrial arts teachers were Mr nale and Mr Workman. Not kidding.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I did the same thing in the 80's when I rode as a courier :crackup:

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Seven at last count. Including a baby that died when a tree fell on it. :(

5. I go through about a pack a day, probably only actually smoke about half a pack. I’ll never relight a cigarette. I’ll be happy to do any cardio side by side with a non smoker and I’ll have a smoke before and after.

6. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

I remember the ESPN anchors always struggling to keep a straight face when saying his name! They always made a point of saying what place he finished in in the race, even if it was last place :crackup:

panthercity likes this.
  7. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

And bringing up the rear is Dick Trickle... [emoji23]

8. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Living on the Island of Misfit Toys

Not trying to make light of the tragedy, it still sucks for all those affected.

When I was watching the news yesterday morning to get hurricane updates, they showed the gas explosion story. They had officials on the phone who kept dodging questions saying the investigation was still ongoing and they had no official cause. I just laughed out loud as I already read the reason on The Beeb. :D

9. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Five years ago today, we lost Fluffy.

[​IMG]

10. Johnny B

Here's the funny part. The other gas company, National Grid, is having labor problems. Thousands of their workers have been locked out. National Grid has to respond to every emergency complaint phoned in, even if they're obviously bogus. (Like the call from Tom Brady) So all the locked out National Grid workers have volunteered to come help Columbia Gas deal with the mess. (Tens of thousands of households had been told to shut off their gas until a safety inspection can be conducted at each house.)
    Governor Baker ripped them a new one for dodging the issue.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

12. Johnny B

So my gas company is being taken over by my electric company.

13. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Electrical sparks and natural gas. Now there's a great idea.

panthercity and Sabre699 like this.
  14. joec

joec brace yourself

Does the tank still say bostongas?

15. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

most likely an old meme i was amused by the top 25 white people stuff memes the other day
    014a5aaa4ac1772252adbec82b3072ba1f5d77936597bfca430bfa4cea297281_1-688x628.jpg

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Good thing I can't relate to any of that. I mean, who wants to be shit white? That's somethin' that comes out of a poodle's ass.

pfhenry likes this.
  17. Brianj666

Brianj666 Well-Known Member

18. Johnny B

Nope. That isn't even the original tank. After it was replaced with this new one, a friend of mine was commisioned to recreate Corita's brush strokes on it.

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if you were aware of the story, but it was rumored that Corita intentionally painted the profile of Ho Chi Minh in the blue stripe.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  19. joec

joec brace yourself

Yep. I know all of that. Was the tank repainted in the last 20 years? I wonder how true that ho chi mihn thing is. I was there when it was redone in the 90s

When I was there earlier this year I didn't get over there to see it. But it was always one of those welcoming sites the years I lived there. Like seeing the citgo sign.

20. Johnny B

From Wikipedia:

The Rainbow Swash is the common name for an untitled work by Corita Kent in the Dorchester neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. The rainbow design painted on a 140-foot (43 m) tall LNG storage tank is the largest copyrighted work of art in the world. Highly visible from daily commuters' drives on Interstate 93, the landmark is considered one of the major landmarks of Boston, akin to the Citgo sign.

Originally created in 1971, the Rainbow Swash comprises large streaks of rainbow colors over a natural gas storage tank on Dorchester's waterfront, located about two miles (3 km) south of Downtown Boston. The landmark 140-foot (43 m) design is highly visible from the Southeast Expressway and passed by hundreds of thousands of commuters daily. The design was transferred to its present location in 1992 when the original LNG tank was torn down.

In 1971, then–Boston Gas Company president Eli Goldston commissioned Corita Kent to paint the Rainbow Swash design on one of two adjacent LNG tanks facing Boston's Southeast Expressway. The original design was painted on an 8-inch (20 cm) scale model, from which 20 painters reproduced the work on the 140-foot (43 m) high tank.

Since the 1970s, the Rainbow Swash has been controversial. The mural was criticized as purportedly featuring a profile of Vietnamese Leader Ho Chi Minh's face in its blue stripe. Kent was a peace activist, and some believe she was protesting the Vietnam War, but Kent herself always denied embedding such a profile. In 1992, the original rainbow-painted LNG tank was torn down and the Rainbow Swash was recreated on the adjacent tank despite objections from veterans groups. However, the blue stripe is less pronounced in the 1992 reproduction. Less controversially, the yellow stripe is said to resemble the profile of Fred Flintstone looking southward.

In 2000, Boston Gas was acquired by Keyspan and the Keyspan logo replaced the Boston Gas logo under the rainbow. Keyspan was acquired and merged into National Grid plc and the National Grid logo was placed over the Keyspan logo in September 2007.