1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Proof that global warming will kill everyone

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Amusingly, all those are caused by climate since the climate drives the weather. Weather patterns are controlled by the climate within a region so, our weather might be caused by change, but then again, it might not be. What we get into with all this climate change arguing is that no one asks if the people claiming that everything is caused by climate change are talking about "man made" climate change. Most of them refuse to understand, or admit, that the climate, both regionally and global, is constantly changing even before man came along.
    WATCH OUT, CHICKEN LITTLE IS FALLING! (Wait, I think I said that wrong.):(

2. csm800

csm800 Well-Known Member

This is from the national hurricane center: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/climo/

"Hurricane return periods are the frequency at which a certain intensity of hurricane can be expected within a given distance of a given location (for the below images 50 nm or 58 statute miles). In simpler terms, a return period of 20 years for a major hurricane means that on average during the previous 100 years, a Category 3 or greater hurricane passed within 50 nm (58 miles) of that location about five times. We would then expect, on average, an additional five Category 3 or greater hurricanes within that radius over the next 100 years."

Not one every 100 years - one every 20 years, but don't let the data get in the way of fear peddling global warming BS.

3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

And, then this guy came along...the blame is on him now. At least George Bush is off the hook.o_O

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...s-trump-is-complicit-for-dangerous-storm.html

4. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I guess Alinsky should have clarified what type of crises he was talking about.

I had a runny shit this morning. Fucking Trump.

blkduc likes this.
  5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Not one mention of the sharks.....fake news

6. csm800

csm800 Well-Known Member

sheepofblue likes this.
  7. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

A few points:
    1) That's a general description of interpreting intervals, and doesn't relate directly to the map estimates shown in the report. Somewhat unconventionally, they describe intervals like that; a more common and appropriate interpretation of a 20 year interval looks at as the chance in any given year of that event (or something greater) occurring (i.e., a 5% chance).
    2) The method outlined in that climatology assessment is based on a model from 1987 and the results are based on data through 2010. Expanded and more recent data, and refined models for fitting rare events to an appropriate right-hand tail distribution have been developed, and an increasing trend has been established.
    3) Estimates of rare events are difficult, and carry a lot of uncertainty because they are based on scant data -- the confidence of an estimate goes down as the interval increases. See Houston flooding for recent data rendering past estimates dramatically unreliable.
    4) When the expected interval is large enough to likely have baseline changes in fundamental drivers (lets use surface water temperature as an example), model fits based on old relationships increase uncertainty.

Whether human activity is increasing the frequency/intensity of cyclones is accurate or not (the evidence suggests it is), damage is growing because the built environment continues to expand in high hazard areas. This applies not only to hurricanes, but floods, wildfires, and earthquakes as well. Losses from these and other natural disturbance events is rising globally, and are expected to rise throughout the 21 century.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Bad weather wrecks shit, always has, always will.

9. sheepofblue

Storm is down to a CAT2 currently. Still people should be VERY cautious and I think the preparation has all been smart so far. However this would make the end of the world storm more of a normal hurricane rather than worst in a hundred years (which was a lie even if it came in at CAT4). Seems like another ManBearPig prediction will have to wait to become true....

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Caution and preparation is always warranted. However, I fear the constant hyperbole by the reporters is perceived as crying wolf. Too many times the storm of the century fizzles or is significantly less severe than the reports. Eventually people will stop taking appropriate action.

11. sheepofblue

I agree however in this ones case the size and slow movement still warrant getting out of there if at all possible. Less wind damage would be a great thing and hopefully it busts up faster than predicted also.

For those thinking worst ever though I chuckle as I can remember one that was a hurricane ran across land and became a tropical storm only to hit water and become a hurricane a second time. But in all cases caution and preparation can make a bad deal a lot better while slack preparation can create New Orleans.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm familiar with riding out storms from growing up in FL. IN the 50s and 60s, the warnings were no nearly as accurate nor were they hour by hour. If you heard a storm was coming, you prepared and waited. We were in Miami when Donna visited in 1960. Damage was almost a $1billion in current year dollars at time when much of that part of the state was still agricultural. Dad spent half the night on one side of the bedroom holding the jalousie windows from breaking in and half on the other side after the eye passed. I remember the street being floods. He had filled the tub with water, stocked up on a few canned goods and had a camp stove. FEMA didn't exist and you checked on you neighbor and waited. Then again, we had no AC to lose, TV didn't offer much and there was no internet. We played games and read by candlelight.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sounds quaint.

I can understand why they hype the shit out of it to get people to leave areas.
    My wife's niece has been told to evacuate, she's just outside of Charleston, and they're still deciding if they want to leave.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It didn't seem all that quaint at the time. I was four and it was a lot scary.

15. sheepofblue

Wasted trip vs dead.....hmmm thinking thinking.....tell her she is a dumbass.

16. sheepofblue

CAT1 and the biggest risk is flooding from tears of the weather guessers....

17. sheepofblue

75 MPH two less and it is a tropical storm. World ended a lot faster than I would have figured.

18. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

19. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I fear that you're exactly right. Has anyone else noticed that all the national news groups have been hyping this frigging storm for what?, a week? Everyone is expecting N. Carolina to be washed out to sea because of the predictions of the "experts" and, while it's a serious storm, it's not all that it was cracked up to be. Trump could have screwed some chick on the front lawn of the White House and no one would have reported on it. Of course, had it been Stormy Daniels that he was screwing (again) then we might have heard some short blip about it on late night TV. :D

20. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

No one wants to be blamed for another katrina buses under water fiasco so everyone's default is better safe than sorry.