1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joey is going out for football again.

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Aug 10, 2018.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I’d seriously get him in a pool swimming laps to build his cardio stamina. He’s growing maybe faster outside than inside. He will need a stronger heart in the second half of games for the stamina.

Running could cause stress fractures.

He’s too big to bicycle.

Swimming will save stress on his still growing joints and bones.

Gotta manage those physical gifts today while looking out for his long term physical well being. He’s a highly paid nfl left tackle if he’s got athletic ability to go with his other gifts and he has the desire.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

They went to the pool nearly every day of the summer.

And you are right, he is still growing into his body.

3. dtalbott

Having to dig for info.

Scrimmage tomorrow, not sure offense or defense, done some blocking, hasn't hit or been hit, still doesn't have all the gear.

I'm confused, but I'll find out more when I get home.

4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

History tells us your locale won’t change your confusion level. :Poke::D

R Acree and dtalbott like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Make sure that the school is competitive enough to have D1 scouts aware of him.

6. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

as a former football guy with bad knees, think really hard about getting him down to about 250 lbs before he plays ANYTHING! if not, he could pay dearly the rest of his life.

you'll also get a much better idea of where he's at athletically. he very well could be better suited for hoops.

dtalbott likes this.
  7. dtalbott

I saw the movie. His younger brother is supposed to film him.

8. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You mean tights :crackup:

dtalbott likes this.
  9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Technically, I mean singlet, but that doesn’t sound quite as ghey. :D

10. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I was quoting a line from The Breakfast Club!
    "They're not tights, they're the required uniform"
    "Yea....tights"

11. dtalbott

Joey's first scrimmage was tonight. He did not play.

They still do not have a helmet or shoulder pads big enough to fit.

12. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Someone needs to watch some kids movies.......giant helmet = Large wash tub & shoulder pads = small mattress or similar. Problem solved

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I am so confused on this thread.

What is clear is that you love your boys and drive yourself all over creation providing for
    your family.

What is less clear is what is actually going on. Particularly with Joey and football, since you are obviously a very knowledgeable fan.

You can tell me to fuck off, which you likely won't do, or at least not in those words, because I don't think there's really a more sincere nicer guy on here, but, and so,
    here goes:

All three of your lovely sons (and they are lovely, in their solidarity, their expressions, and eyes, are so in synch...middle guy looks like a firecracker) are morbidly obese. I am not a physician. I have eyes. What do they eat?
    Can one of a zillion dudes on here who count every carb or protein they put into their body help on this? There is a lifetime of heart disease and diabetes complications on the
    horizon for them if there isn't a course correction on the near-term horizon.

Does Joey like football? Has he ever been hit? Hard? Ever hit anyone? Hard? Kind of necessary in football. I found it odd that you were confused about whatever position he was trying out for.

Sorry don't mean to be intrusive, but you seem
    like a really nice guy; garden variety attaboys
    are fine. You deserve better.

Wingnut, auminer and ryoung57 like this.
  14. dtalbott

Thanks for the concern, but don't worry so much.

Whether Joey wants to play football is a question he has to answer. I have asked over and over and he keeps saying yes. I think going to practice for two weeks now, doing all the running, weightlifting, sleds, etc.., and still waiting on equipment tells me he does.

As you said, getting hit for the first time may get a different answer.

None of them snack all the time. They eat normal meals.

The confusion on my part comes from seeing them about every three weeks.

15. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What kind of school do they go to? The issues with equipment make me think this is a school not experienced with grooming players with lots of potential. As big as he (and your other boys) are, if they have drive, it shouldn’t be hard to get them into a program that will provide the guidance and connections to fastrack D1 and even NFL aspirations.

Regarding the diet, define “normal”. One of the things I really regret is not having access to proper nutritional info growing up. None of my coaches bothered with it and there was no such thing as the internet to turn to. Ages 13-25 set the tone for the rest of your life. Proper training and nutrition during this period can set you up for a lifetime of physical success. At the same time, lack of proper training and nutrition can provide a lifetime of failure and chronic pain/discomfort.

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. dtalbott

Normal high school. Only one in the county.

Morning - bowl of cereal.

Lunch - whatever school lunch is.

Dinner - burger and fries.

He doesn't eat as much as I thought. He's not a candy snacker.

17. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

That took guts to point out, Yzasserina.

Kudos.

rocalotopus and Wingnut like this.
  18. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I don't tell you how to feel, with respect, please don't tell me how to feel.

You and yours be well.

19. dtalbott

Hold on.

You call all three of my kids obese, I stay respectful, and you take offense for me thanking you for your concern, but not to worry?

You're right; I should have just told you to fuck off, and avoided the confusion.

DucatiBomber, busa99, Razr and 4 others like this.
  20. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

You know what, Darrin, you can read this any way you want. Or not read it at all.

My name is Adrienne.

At no time, did I "call" your kids obese. With that intonation. They ARE clinically obese. There is a medical definition for it. Joey would have to lose 82 pounds to get under the definition of morbidly obese. I did the math.

I did not swan into this thread to crack on your children, that is anathema to me. I did it because I looked at that photograph and given the context it occurred to me that you may not realize how profoundly overweight they are, and what that could mean, currently and in the future. No judgment, strictly observation. And that included an ask for help, did it not?

Anyway, I don't care what you think about me, intrinsically. We are adults, your children are not, I asked for help for them. Your thanks was more than a brush off, it was a directive. It's likely time for me to STFU and smile and wave. I wish you and your family well.