High blood pressure remedies

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jul 5, 2018.

1. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

My BP is only sorta high, but I have been taking a minimal dose, 10mg, of lisinopril since 1991 and my BP is normal. I am still a little over weight, still eat pretty much what I want and don't exercise as much as I should. Better living through chemistry, and I have no noticeable side affects from the meds.

Go to the doctor and take your meds. Change your lifestyle and diet if you want to.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Sounds like you need to bust more nuts. Good ones, too. Like, eye roller/toe curlers.

3. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Go to the Doc. Mine was high enough for me to have almost daily headaches. Went to the doc, got some meds, and I feel tons better. Now it is time to concentrate on the rest of my health.

4. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Watch your Sodium intake, not just in foods but in what you drink also. Try to get more Potassium also. Go to the doctor, get on meds and dont be afraid to tell him if it causes issues.
    I was on Lisinopryl for years without issue till they decided I needed a bigger dose then all of a sudden I felt like a walking zombie all the time... Now they have me on Losartan and all is well.

5. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Can't believe this thread came up.I was at Longhorns on the 4th,and thought I was going to have a heart attack.I suddenly got very clamy,broke out in a serious sweat and was nauseated .I couldnt eat my food,and got really freaked out.I didnt drink my beer ( sure sign somethings wrong) ordered a ginger ale,and it almost made me puke.
    The ginger ale was rank as f@ck,which added to my bad feeling.I got my meal boxed,and went home.My home blood pressure monitor had me at 160/100.
    Checked it several times,and it was crazy high.I took more Losartan,but felt rough all evening.
    Don't know what caused it,but it was scary.Maybe because I hadnt eaten all day?

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Go to the Dr and if you're in your 40's already I'd HIGHLY consider asking to be given a nuclear stress test.

PistolPete likes this.
  7. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Wrong answer. Especially on Lisinopril (I take this and this happened to me).

"Suppression of angiotensin II leads to a decrease in aldosterone levels. Since aldosterone is responsible for increasing the excretion of potassium, ACE inhibitors can cause retention of potassium."

Any damage to your kidneys, when they are not working properly, may cause an increase in potassium levels leading to hyperkalemia. ... These may include Angiotensin Converting Enzyme (ACE) inhibitors, such as Lisinopril, or potassium-sparing diuretics, such as Spironolactone (e.g., Aldactone).

8. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Eat healthy. Exercise regularly and smoke some weed.

motoracer1100, Steeltoe and Sabre699 like this.
  9. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Interesting, that contradicts pretty much everythng I have ever seen regarding Potassium and blood pressure.....
    The way the Doctor explained it to me balancing Potassium and sodium is the key to blood pressure.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If you take diuretics to lower your blood pressure then potassium loss can be an issue.

11. StaccatoFan

Maybe so but the medications you take are an additional variable you have to factor into the equation.

Your body balances potassium automatically via your kidneys if all is functioning well. Lisinopril inhibits your body’s ability to filter naturally.

Where’s pjzocc when I need him to splain this shit?

I gave up coffee when I started hbp meds and drank OJ in the mornings instead. Now it’s true I drank a LOt. But it messed me up until I realized what was happening.

12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Whats Dits said plus more MTB riding....

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hence the doc answer, some stuff that works for bp is a diuretic which will decrease your potassium levels, other stuff will increase them. God doc will help you out.

14. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

I’m good with the lifestyle change, that’s more what I’m asking about. But Besides lowering sodium intake and exercising more I don’t know what other things I can do to help. As far as stress goes, that part I just don’t know that I could change. Physical changes are easy enough. But not stressing over shit is kinda engrained pretty deep in my personality. If you got a way to remedy that, by all means share. Lol

15. redtailracing

Last I checked, 143/95

16. redtailracing

Yea man, still pedaling a fair amount. Need to grab me another dirty bike and come riding with you.

17. redtailracing

I’m actually only 28 which makes this all the more frustrating. :( Really hoped I’d make it to at least my 30s before dealing with this kinda shit.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Stab yourself with something sharp in several locations. That will relieve some pressure.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. StaccatoFan

Sounds like nothing to mess with. My readings were always high too. I ignored them. Was almost a fatal mistake too.

Changes can only do so much. You probably need a little help with some Lisinopril or something.

You’ll never realize how bad it is till you’ve got it under control.

I always had a headache and a bass drum of my pulse in my ears. I woke up more tired than before I went to bed.

First dose and the drum stopped in 2 hours. I got my first good nights sleep in about a decade.

I wouldn’t go back.

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I was regularly 170/120 umtil meds.

I dont eat bad but i do drink entirely too much beer.

Lisomipril worked for the BP but i had a dry cough from hell. Doc put me on Losartan and no side effects at all.