High blood pressure remedies

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jul 5, 2018.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Anyone else dealing with high blood pressure got some good remedies they've found? Mines been high for the last few years and just keeps getting worse. I've tried to cut back on sodium intake but at this point I feel like it's just time to see a doctor. I exercise semi-regularly and am in decent shape but not great. I know part of it is genetic and stress. Both sides of my family have it and my father died of a heart attack at the age of 46. High blood pressure was his only heart problem but he rarely took his medication because he said it made him feel like shit. I don't want to make the same mistake but I also dread the thought of having to take shitty medication every day. As far as the stress component goes, I don't even know where to begin in reducing that. My whole life I've basically used stress as motivation to do anything and everything. Not a healthy lifestyle but it's just how I've learned to live. And unfortunately it means I almost stay perpetually stressed out.

2. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Smoke some weed? Isn't the lower blood pressure aspect the reason that it's good for glaucoma?

Boman Forklift and panthercity like this.
  3. ton

ton Arf!

let me make sure i understand...

you want a "remedy" for a potentially life threatening condition governed largely by lifestyle choices (except the genetics part, of course). that doesn't involve medication or significant lifestyle change?

badmoon692008 and motoracer1100 like this.
  4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Take your own advice? Consider a head doc as well, given your comments regarding using stress as motivator.
    <ton nailed it>

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Don’t smoke and don’t drink.... yes my BP is out the roof....

ToofPic likes this.
  6. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

How high is it?

Mine was always a little high, like 135/80 which isn't terrible but that was when I was in my twenties and early thirties so it always concerned me along with my high cholesterol. I changed my diet a few months ago, nothing too drastic, I just started eating salads with chicken or salmon and stopped eating as many burgers, pizza, and fried foods. I don't know if it was a direct result but I'm down to 115/70 so something must be working. The stress is probably a big factor to look into though.

7. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I feel like diet and exercise should be the answer.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Go to the doc.

ineedanap, beac83 and StaccatoFan like this.
  9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Don’t listen to all these idjits. Just switch to a Keto diet. It’s the most bestest thing ever and is the only thing that will fix all that is wrong with you ... mentally even.

Then go talk to your doc. :D

Gorilla George and TurboBlew like this.
  10. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Go to a D.O. Instead of a M.D.
    M.D. Are pill pushers , a D.O. Will try and find the root cause of your issue .

11. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Many doctors now subscribe to the theory that genetics is the biggest factor. High cholesterol is just built into some of us. Food that's trying to kill us, poor choices, lack of exercise and too much stress all make it much, much worse.

Go to a doc, but most definitely start making some better choices for yourself. Make your health a priority - you don't get another body or another life.

I'm going through some of this myself. I've recently reasoned out that some of the issues I'm having might be due to blood sugar management, and I'm going to the doc about it tomorrow, but I gave up caffeine and most processed sugar, cold turkey, about 3 weeks ago or so. I am finally sleeping again at night. I've also come to learn through most of my own process that a lot of our ailments - heart, metabolic, and even some psychological, start in your gut.

Funkm05 likes this.
  12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes! Another convert. Welcome to the family brother :crackup:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't matter which you go to - go to a good one. Evelynes MD is a fantastic doc who doen't push anything and tries like hell to go natural before writing a scrip.

14. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

15. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:crackup::crackup:

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Fast.

Phl218 and 418 like this.
  17. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

You're going to have to make a lifestyle change, whether it be the way you eat or how you manage your stress on a day to day basis.

Some people just need to hear stuff like that from a doctor, and paying for them to tell you might make you more serious about it.

18. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

Listen to Grasshopper and come play some hockey with me! My Dad has had high blood pressure. Once its taken a lifestyle change to help it. He quit smoking (I did as well), started riding dirt bikes a lot more, and started eating better. It has helped a lot! Do you still mountain bike much?

19. I had high BP but when I lost weight and changed my diet (healthy) I was able to get off the meds. BP has been good now for about 6 years. Beets, bananas, wild Salmon, white beans, kale, fresh tuna, oat meal is great too, even dark chocolate 70%-80% cocoa.

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Go to your Dr and listen to them. Take your meds. It’s NOT a big deal. Been on mine since 2012 when my 170/110 almost killed me.

I changed a LOT in my life to get rid of stress and I take my medications.

Do not fuck around with this. It’s not a joke. It’s deadly

Boman Forklift and ToofPic like this.