1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World’s deadliest race has claimed another life ...

Discussion in 'General' started by Beresh21, May 31, 2018.

1. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Surprisingly, the TT is a much safer event than it was before...

It’s still not safe but the only people doing it are the ones that willingly accept the risks and want to keep going back.

baconologist, MELK-MAN and joec like this.
  2. joec

joec brace yourself

I want to double like this. Watching spectator you tube videos this afternoon and it did nothing but give me chills and help just improve my mood. Watching people do what they love, and people in complete happy shock watching it all happen, is just the greatest thing ever.

The element of danger is the least most appealing aspect to me. The guts, the talent, the focus, to do what every one of them does is why I like it.. and hearing that Norton scream off......oh my. Just incredible.

3. ZimZam

ZimZam Well-Known Member

I would rather go out riding than being ravaged by cancer. F*ck cancer.

Pixelator, BigBird, gpz11 and 6 others like this.
  4. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Notwithstanding my earlier comment,... I can't watch those street race for very long.

Someone mentioned Russian Roulette and there is indeed some similarity to watching that infamous The Deer Hunter scene.... Too stressful for me.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

I get that its not for everyone.. to me, there is something just really beautiful about watching it. It's almost graceful. But God damned those machines are brutal.

crashman and stk0308 like this.
  6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

I am in awe of the riders that partake.. but while watching the coverage (and i've promised a couple friends of mine that have already been over there to watch that I'm going soon to hang out and spectate with them).. i can't help but be reminded of the fact that there is very little room for error. Some sections are mildly forgiving. Others? not forgiving at all and a mistake or unfortunate circumstance will have a high probability of a real disaster. It's REAL roadracing, and i love it, but i love watching it, can't dream of entering and circulating as a "newcomer" :)

vizsladog, crashman and joec like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The title of this thread and the indication of it really kind of pisses me the F off.

It reads wrong and implies the race is inherently deadly. I don't like it.

gpstar748, BHP41, Metalhead and 5 others like this.
  8. joec

joec brace yourself

I think I'd make it down Bray hill and have enough. Lol

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Mehh, you could apply this line of thinking to all sorts of things. No one forces the competitors to take part in the event. Its something that transcends what 99.9% of the population can comprehend.

To shift gears for a minute, but along the same line of thinking how many people die trying to climb Mount Everest? I just thought of this because a lady at my job took a trip there this past month in order to do just that. I looked up the stats on it and apparently over 300 people have died trying to climb it (which is more than the TT by comparison) and the last time they have a fatality-free year was 1977.....and Everest is just 1 extreme mountain that people try to climb, there's several others that have claimed their fair share as well, so yeah....perspective and all that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deaths_on_eight-thousanders

Just some food for thought, but again I'm sure there's plenty of other activities that carry risk to them that people still partake in on the regular regardless.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I'd bet that at least 20 people in the US died on their way to work this morning.

We each owe a death.

But not everyone ever really lives.

Shocker, socalrider, 418 and 3 others like this.
  11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yes I do know of at least one that runs it. I don't like death at any level really unless warranted, I see enough of it to see what it does to the people in the wake of it. Maybe that's what drives my opinion to an unpopular one. I don't wish ill luck for anyone running it, and i'm not against them or the circuit, but as a father now and with a second on the way surely opens my eyes a bit wider. It is amazing to watch but when someone passes I don't think of the rider so much, I think of the people that are left behind. I think on some level it's a bit of a self centered act, but it's their lives and that's that. Apparently everyone is ready for that fateful day, but can you ever really be ready to bury your son, brother or even your father? I understand you can't live in a hole and all that, and yea other peoples lives are not quite my own, but where does the line blend from living life to rolling the dice? I guess everyone's threshold is different.

AJ likes this.
  12. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Drama queen much? Or you just learn to read?

AJ likes this.
  13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

But is it factual?

badmoon692008 likes this.
  14. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

15. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Who the hell was that directed at??

16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Just like I'm quoting you, I quoted Fonda tits.

17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

You'''''''re quote was at the bottom,so I did'n notice...carry on

18. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I respect your opinion, I just see things differently. When someone passes, especially at a young age, I simply can't help but to feel sorry for them. Yes, I understand it is a choice that they made knowing the risks involved, but, I can't change the way I feel.

crashman likes this.
  19. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Every rider that has and will take part in the roads, are the gods of motorbike racing. From the guy that’s won multiple times to the one off last place finisher. It takes something special to pull your visor down and do that and I’m in absolute awe of it.

Oh, and the thread title is complete shit.

joec and BigBird like this.
  20. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

You're not alone. In fact, you're in good company. I saw a clip a few years ago where John Hopkins rode a few laps of the TT circuit with (I believe) guy Martin and one of the Dunlop boys. They didn't ride the circuit at a true race pace, but they rode it a hell of a lot faster than any of us would. When he got back to the pits, during his interview he was asked if he'd ever consider racing in the TT. His answer was something like "No fookin' way! I've ridden with the best riders that MotoGP has to offer, but these guys can ride circles around us. The TT racers are on a completely different level. If any of these guys decided to cross over to MotoGP, we'd all be in serious trouble."

Pixelator likes this.