1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World’s deadliest race has claimed another life ...

Discussion in 'General' started by Beresh21, May 31, 2018.

1. Beresh21

Beresh21 Well-Known Member

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

This is sad news but its been posted twice already.

3. Beresh21

Beresh21 Well-Known Member

4. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I feel bad for the family, not so much for the riders. I understand the "gotta live" idea but holy shit, not much different than Russian roulette in my eyes.

5. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Try not to be too critical. That is exactly what most of the general public thinks about all racing. All I know is my balls are not even close to being big enough to do the old school road racing.

RIP racer.

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Agreed. Absolutely zero point in condemning the decisions of others, especially when they're not hurting anyone else. Dan is a Manx native. He grew up watching the TT and was more aware than anyone of the risks. Only he can decide what's "worth it" and what isn't.

AJ, Shenanigans, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I really wish there was a dislike button. Would have used it on the title of this thread and then again for this post. You do realize there are people on this forum that have run that race. Are you seriously sitting there saying you don't feel bad for these racers who have lost their lives at IOM?

stk0308 and britx303 like this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm with him, I don't feel bad for the racers themselves. Most I know would pretty much be "yeah it'd suck and no I don't want to die but if I do then so be it", it can happen and they know it. Yes it's sad he died, I do absolutely feel for his friends and family, seems like a great guy and one I'd love to have known. But for him directly, he went out doing something he absolutely loved, there's nothing to feel bad about in that. If I die on the way to or at a race I'd never want anyone to feel bad for me, it's who I am and what I do and I'd be fine with it even if it happened right now. Hell, the last 20ish years have been a bonus, I wouldn't want anyone to feel bad really no matter when or how I went. No point in it. Life is good and eventually it ends.

AJ, j cal, Kyle Brosius and 8 others like this.
  9. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

While I think the race is bad for the sport and industry, this post is literally the most repugnant thing I have possibly ever read.

10. 418

418 Expert #59

I think the racers that race there know the risk and are well aware of the fact that they could be coming back in a casket.

I do find it annoying that people act shocked when there's a death at the TT. Simply put, the odds are not in your favor. Everybody knows this.

It's almost like it's nothing more than an excuse to rehash the old subject of banning racing at IOM more than actually remembering the rider that perished.

RIP Dan

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You guys like being in denial huh?

Granted I disagree with the russian roulette, it's not remotely close to that. But overall I get it, everyone has their own level of danger they are willing to put themselves into. Riders in the TT willingly choose a much higher risk than most racers. Nothing wrong with that but no reason to deny it either.

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The rider will either not care about your feeling (or anyone else's), or, best case, he's too busy at the pearly gates arguing 'an obvious misunderstanding'....

Pixelator and ZimZam like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not arguing at the gates, just wondering which way to the paddock and what the tire situation is :D

Pixelator, t500racer, stk0308 and 3 others like this.
  14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"And I'm pitted where??!!!"

ZimZam and MELK-MAN like this.
  15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you would have to be living under a rock, or not know much about the race, to think it's not pretty scary. Nearly every year someone passes. Over 100 riders since it's initial running, and that's back when bikes were slow by today's standard. And all that, is one of the major draws to the event.

I'm going out on a limb, but I bet if you took a poll of all the racers that partake, few would wan't folks fretting over them should they meet an untimely end. Even the families of these ballsy riders know the deal. The riders respect the course, i've seen some shows and video of some of the stars discussing this very topic..

crashman and 418 like this.
  16. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

People who are against the TT are the same people that probably like non-alcoholic beer and strip clubs where girls don’t get naked.

AJ, ChemGuy, tecknojoe and 14 others like this.
  17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

crap, bikes have gotten a lot faster. so that means all the risk mitigation and extra safety the organizers have accomplished - air fence, better marshals, etc - has only managed to offset the increased danger of going faster. they've done all that work and the TT hasn't become safer (in term of fatalities). shit.

18. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

just wish life loss didn't get so much media attention when there is so much cool stuff happening in racing. R.I.P.

19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The math sucks. If you applied the same math to going to a mall, restaurant, a movie or any sporting event most would stay home. The guys that don't feel sorry for the racers think it sucks when we lose one............but feeling sorry for them is different.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup::crackup::crackup:
    :bow: