1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSA.. insure your stuff.

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, May 2, 2018.

1. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I have fire and theft on my race bike, same policy as the rest of my bikes / vehicles. It's stupid cheap in Ohio.

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Link?

3. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

When you guys are talking racebikes, do you mean streetbikes turned into racebikes, or are they true racebikes (without VIN numbers). None of my 4 racebikes have even an hint of a VIN number...

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Facegores.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

What TRACK or area is this? Jenning's/Valdosta?

6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Amarillo Texas area.

TLR67 likes this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

All of mine started as streetbikes with vins & titles.
    An unstamped frame can be serialized for your own identity purposes.
    Only real difference is your racebike(s) have some unique equipment on them so I would probably itemize the list with a cash value for the collective parts. Like: Cart Forks: $1500 Rear shock: $950, etc. Pictures, receipts, log books go a long way here. Depending on the total... you may get into a "stated value" type policy thats more expensive than a typical vin/book/acv policy.

dieterly likes this.
  8. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Was thinking the same thing after I saw what happened to Nate. When I got my trailer I started calling insurance companies to get it insured which wasn't an issue, but finding a provider that offered insurance for street motorcycles for non-street use was a challenge. In the meantime I outfitted my trailer with a GPS tracker from www.linxup.com Works well for me because I have to store the trailer at a storage facility and the tracking unit checks in once every 24 hours to report it's position, and when the trailer is plugged into the tow vehicle the unit reports every 10 minutes. This way the battery would last 3 months if left unattended for that long. I still unload all my shit everytime I park the trailer but insurance is a must have in case something were to happen when parked at the track or hotel.

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Sabre699 and Odilup like this.
  10. MELK-MAN

street bike turned race bike, or dirt bike with a vin (as in actual dirt bike, not a cruiser, or dirt bike with headlights, dirt only).. the guy John that I was transferred to and wrote up my policies, did indicate they need a VIN.

11. MELK-MAN

mine are totally separate. Auto policies are different, and my auto agent quoted some outrageous fees for insurance.. i finally got through to someone that knew Safeco writes theft and liab only policies for dirt bikes and street/race bikes (with a vin). I wanted something that would cover the bikes if traveling and stolen out of the trailer, if stolen from where we ride dirt bikes , whatever. not just a home policy . Some homeowners will cover this, a buddy had 2 ktm's stolen from his detached garage, and his homeowners paid.. never heard of that before, and my ho insurers won't, and would be worthless when on the road anyway.

12. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Considering myself a Texan too, it upsets me that these people in Amarillo would 'steal' someones trailer.
    Looks like one of them was in fact a genius, for riding right by the owner and a cop!
    Soo glad he got the bikes back, and most of the stuff, etc.

I hate thiefs!

When I was younger, and if some of my 'friends' had told me the stole an HP4? I'd say- Give it back! And the rest of it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. All of mine are insured through State Farm.

I start out by getting full coverage (since I usually ride them on the street for a month or two), then drop the Liability and Collision. There is no lien, so it isn't required.

That leaves Comprehensive...which will cover them if they are stolen, in a fire, storm damage, etc.

14. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I have full coverage on one bike because it has a regular title. However I keep it registered because State Farm won't pay out if it's not. I found out the hard way when my pit bike was stolen. Honda Metro only a few years old, but I forgot to get OK tags when I left Kansas City.

They contend if it's recovered it belongs to them - and they can't sell it with the potential of back taxes owed. They did end up paying after much debate.

Safeco was the only person I could get to I sure my 250 with a junk title, but they canceled me during an audit. I posted here and did a lot of searching - could never find insurance.

aftriathlete likes this.
  15. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

What do you think about Safeco and an untitled race bike? Do they just need a vin to insure it? Or a title? I have the original MSO from when the original owner bought my bike back on 2008, but it was never transferred over to a title so it still has this guy’s signature on it.

16. MELK-MAN

3 of my bikes still have the old owners listed on the title, never registered em in my name. When i gave them the VIN, he told me the make/model/year, but i did ask if it's a problem if it's not registered in my name.. he said they "just ask you get them registered in your name within 90 days".. i may press them more about this, but considering the coverage started at midnight the day i paid (cc over the phone yesterday), i don't see how my bikes wouldn't be covered even though not reg in my name. But pretty certain they must have a VIN and valid title (even if not in your name)

17. With State Farm, they have to be in your name. I asked about that and my dude said if it is stolen, they will want to see the title. If it isn't in your name, and it has been over 90 days, they can deny the claim.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What I'm talking about it doesn't matter.

19. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Just called the Safeco main customer service line, and I was told it’s a non-starter. I didn’t even get as far as asking about the title issue, he just said Comprehensive coverage includes damage in single-vehicle accidents, so they can’t do Comprehensive for race bikes. And they don’t do insurance strictly for theft coverage.

20. MELK-MAN

umm, yea.. that's why i put the number in my original post of the person you NEED to talk to ;) ... guy's name is John. 844-423-8885

aftriathlete likes this.