School me on SV shit....

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Well, I bought an SV. '09 with a +2mm Zoran motor in it, and lots of other good stuff.

For MA, I'm going to need to do the GSXR rear wheel (So I can use the Dunlop 180 rear), and put in some stock bore pistons.

I already ordered a set of cylinders, scouring eBay now for a wheel.

I emailed Zoran to see if he has a wheel swap kit he can send me, since I don't have the bike yet to send him core parts.

What are the best pistons to use? JE? Wieseco? I think I'm going to take on that job myself. Heads are cleaned up a bit, stock valves, cam swap.

Want to make sure the pistons will just drop in, or will I have to mess with base gaskets and clay to get it close?

Bike already has a PC, but no quick shift. Vortex rear sets. So do I need the push or pull sensor?

I did some searches, but it's hard to find stuff, SV is too common of a term. You guys are doing too much talking about SV stuff!

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would think Zoran would be your best source for info. I think he used stock Busa pistons on some of the newer stuff. I also remember hearing the dual plug stuff gives up some power? We ran Gen 1 carb stuff so I don't know that for sure.

3. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Keep the built motor intact and buy a used one to build to MA spec.

4. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

Push for standard, pull for GP.

When I got my rear wheel kit from zoran a few months ago he didn't have any in stock - I bought a spare caliper hanger for <$20 from a guy with spare parts to send in.

JE pistons, or busa pistons, or stock.

I second keeping the built motor - it probably has carillo rods? Not legal as they are ever so slightly lighter than stock. Recommend upgrading the stock rods, they are a weak point. Search for zlock

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Good idea

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Should have bought a 2009 GSXR 1000. All stock motor except super special cams. You'd still have the button that turns it into a 650 anyway.

7. Gino230

stock rods, so I'm told.

I'm trying to stay on a budget here, that's why I really don't want 2 motors. I would think the minimum build would be a core engine, pistons, cams, some head work, lightened flywheel? I don't know much about these motors.

I'm guessing the stock front wheel is fine, i.e. I just need to find a gsxr rear wheel....

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Do you know Russell masecar or Michael copoulos?
    If not you should if you want sv info and what not to waste your time on.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    TurboBlew, t11ravis, cajun636 and 3 others like this.
  9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

So Zoran will waste his time? :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. noles19

No of course not, but he's asking about his for the motoamerica stuff which Russell and Mike will be at, and hell at this point almost half the twins class bikes at Moto America are built by those two..

5axis likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So three....

:crackup:

Sorry to all involved, just no way I could pass that one up :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  12. noles19

Well hell if you have to explain my joke it's not as funny man...

sanee and metricdevilmoto like this.
  13. Gino230

Yeah, I am just trying to get the basic stuff done. I have spoken to both of them. They are a little busy at the moment, and I want to order a few things before I leave for work so when I get home I'll have a bunch of shit I can play with.

noles19 likes this.
  14. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I’m in Florida and IMO build some stout sv motors to haul my fatass around

15. Champer

Yea stock front is fine, basically a special order part to get a different wheel without swapping front ends.

Bored throttle bodies? Zoran does those also

16. Gino230

Throttle bodies are bored, but I don't think the bike has been tuned. No PC. So I'll need to figure that out. They put the motor in and never ran it. So now is as good a time as any to swap pistons and tune the beeotch.

17. aaronson

aaronson Well-Known Member

What are you running for front end ? Stock or Gsxr ?

18. Gino230

stock front end, AK-20 carts. GSXR calipers and an R6 master cylinder.

19. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Just send your bike to Robbie bobby he knows how to build them.

20. Champer

What year gsxr? May want to go check the caliper rules