1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP Qatar Race | 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Mar 12, 2018.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Shut up.

badmoon692008 and spode like this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You shut up.

3. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

Maybe they should bring in Harry Hogge as the new crew chief...

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  4. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I’m convinced that Simon Crafer is the most talented guy to ever ride a motorcycle. Being able to do what he’s done without the ability to communicate is amazing.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Fkn Guy Martin is easier to follow than Crafar. And that's saying a lot!

Phl218, zstylem86 and CRA_Fizzer like this.
  6. zstylem86

zstylem86 Well-Known Member

Ducati is Dovi's race team. Everything evolves around him after his championship hunt last season. Therefore the bike was developed and engineered to Dovi's preference over winter. Lorenzo is just the lucky guy getting the big paycheck riding Dovi's coattails. Lorenzo will get lucky and win 1 race.

Sweatypants likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You know, watching the replay of the MotoGP race on beIN, it was such a bummer that Zarco's tires were shot and he went from first to 4th in a 1/2 a lap. I'm wondering, with all the advancements in tire technology yada yada yada, why is it that they haven't figured out a way to engineer a tire so that it doesn't drop off in a ~20 lap race. I mean I get it, you can run a harder compound tire and it won't drop off as much, but why can't they make the soft option ones last long enough for a single race?

Do they engineer them intentionally that way so that there is a penalty to pay if you make a poor compound choice or want to gamble? Or are they engineered to teeter on that edge of soft as possible but can maybe only last ~20 laps?

I mean, their engines don't lose power over the course of 1 race, neither are their brakes generally shot before the end of 1 race. Why can't they make a good sticky soft compound tire that can provide consistent grip until the end of the race?

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Every time they mention Zarco's team mate on the broadcast all I can hear is "Catfish Siren".

turbulence likes this.
  9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I hear Happy Siren.

10. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

I don’t remember Simon Crafar retiring because of a TBI. Did he whack his noggin post retirement in a skiing accident? How did Dorna not hire C Edwards or perhaps Fran Drescher over SC?

11. Repo Man 32

Repo Man 32 Lifetime Member

Great race, good on Dovi, And the old man on the box again.... :clap:

BigBird likes this.
  12. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Were you watching via VZW? If so, there are two options for each race ... Engrish, and Mexican.

13. Phl218

Phl218 .

Appears to me that the other guys knew what was gonna happen with the tires but
    Zarco went “oh la la, ju suis le quickest” nonetheless and hoped for a michelin tire revolution :D

renegade17 and dobr24 like this.
  14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I know it's racing and it was definitely an entertaining finish but I was kind of annoyed by the desperation last corner dive by MM. Luckily Dovi figured he was going to do it and gave him room but he could have just as easily slammed the door shut in which case MM would have almost certainly submarined them both. Does anyone tell the boy that you can't win the championship in the first race but you can surely cause the both of them to lose it?

cpettit and Phl218 like this.
  15. All I know is that it was a great race to watch, unless you are Steeltoe.

Phl218 likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

May as well do away with fuel level restrictions as well. Oh, and sealed engines, too. Why can't the teams just do whatever the hell they want to win? :rolleyes:

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I believe Crafar said Rossi was on the soft front. He finished. Quite well actually. Managing the tire is a skill acquired from experience. Zarco will put it all together soon.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The tire chart showed multiple times during the race showed Rossi was on the medium front. I could be wrong, and Rossi might have changed at the last minute, but after listening to Crafar, I will hedge my belief towards him actually being on the medium, rather than the soft, as reported from pit lane.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I heard him say that too but the tire choice graphic said medium front, soft rear.

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Hmmm. Okay. I would go with the graphic because Crafar was a total failure all around. If he stays the whole year, it's going to be painful.