1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Speech is the Enemy

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Mar 14, 2018.

1. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe someone stole the emperor's clothes.

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

If you want to anger a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to anger a liberal, tell him the truth.

lrrs517, TurboBlew, scottn and 2 others like this.
  4. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

To be fair, this falls in the same category as when liberals say and do stupid things and people here respond with "freedom of speech isn't the same as freedom from consequence". No one took away her right to free speech. But, there were consequences and being that she said it in regard to her place of employment, it was probably warranted.

I can certainly say things that are true of my employer (although, the article doesn't make it clear whether her statements were actually true or not), and still be fired. I'm exercising my free speech, but they're exercising their right not to employ me.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't have a problem with her spouting stupid or them firing her for it.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Let the bodies hit the floor.

7. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Say stupid things...win stupid prizes.

TurboBlew, RRP, cav115 and 1 other person like this.
  8. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Yup!

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

We need a "like the post but hate the fact that it's true and wish that it wasn't" button.

I propose that we use this: :beer:

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am all for being able to fire someone when they run their mouth and say stupid shit. I just wish the bias was not there. Libs say stupid shit and the colleges defend them. Conservatives say stupid shit and they get immediate punishment.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. Venom51

Can't help that liberal colleges and the people that run them have no bar low enough at which they punish their own.

12. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

Wait, are you two saying that Penn is a bastion of liberalism?

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

In my experience most of the people in higher education are left of center with the exception being the hard sciences.

14. Venom51

I'm not saying Penn is specifically but colleges are usually the direction from which things come from that piss conservatives off.

15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

So this is easy find out if there has been black students she taught that graduated in the quarter of their class. If there have been a few (my guess would be a substantial number) then fire her. Keeping her from teaching entry level classes is a reward to some professors I knew in Engineering not a punishment.

While I suspect they do have racial advancement that does not mean everyone of that race admitted needed the unfair advantage. Stupid comes in all colors (as she demonstrated) as does smart, the same is true of both sexes.

speeddaddy likes this.
  16. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

The simple question is, Is what she is saying fact or fiction? We've seen in Canada, even if you're stating pure 100% fact, you can be charged with hurting feelings. We're moving to that now. Ben Shapiro constantly states pure, 100% fact, and is hated for it from the left. If she's stating opinion, she's an idiot. If she has facts to back it up, then once again feelings trump facts.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

Possibly not a bastion.

18. motorkas

https://www.sas.upenn.edu/polisci/people/standing-faculty/john-diiulio

I’m in no way making my case based upon one faculty member but I’m curious what you’d classify his political leanings as after reading his work bio?

Also, I recently had to spend social time with a bunch of scientists (it was a farewell party for one that just got a tenure track prof job at Duke) – no chance what you wrote applies to anyone in that group (it has less to do with political feelings and a lot more to do with what Conservatives have done with funding and basically declaring open war on hard sciences - you will see the reverse is true in industries that are freely funded by Conservatives).

I’m actually a big fan of your consistent disdain for both sides so this is not a shot but something that needs to be said: is it the colleges or the “higher learning” that goes on within them that causes that response? Take the universities out of it and you have a prime example of this going on in the Gina Haspel thread. Caustic is dropping advanced knowledge bombs she's gained from “higher learning”. . .do you think it’s a coincidence who’s going after that knowledge vs who’s accepting it (or who’s willing to go after it without putting in the same or more hours of work she has) ?

She’s not giving a “liberal” point of view – she’s giving her own point of view based on intensive higher level study of the subject matter. What does that say about the conservative point of view that’s trying to contradict it and what it’s based off of? (serious question)

No liberal bastion would have a shirt like this because of all the hurt feelers it could potentially cause (scroll down, you can’t miss it) . . .

https://www.vpul.upenn.edu/secure/psa/gifts.php

Couldn't agree more. . .the only thing I'd add to that last sentence: "as well as ideologues".

Chino52405 likes this.
  19. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Hard sciences like global warming :crackup: or coming up with 16 different genders :crackup: or a lot of the other nonsense generated. Of course that could just be the engineer in me that thinks things should be useful and work.

20. motorkas

https://www.cancer.gov/

Feel free to check out their CV's to see if they pass your "hard science/useful" test (or if you think the majority of people can do it with out a high level of education). . .