1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frivolous lawsuit against Keigwins trackday organization:gofundme link

Discussion in 'General' started by duc995, Mar 13, 2018.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

But it is Keigwins responsibility. They are the trackday provider and as such any condition that they see unfit should be taken up with track management to be addressed.

No, the guy ran off track because he didn’t continue to turn and stood the bike up.

He crashed because he hit a sand bag.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Some riders have to learn the hard way I guess. :D

3. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

Then nearly 0 tracks in the US are safe per those guidelines and should never be ridden on by motorcycles.

Wet grass will cause you to crash nearly 100% of the time once you run off track.

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

One other thing. No way AMA, MOTOGP, WSBK, MA, would ever agree to race under those conditions. I will never understand the reasoning from tracks and trackday orgs who think it’s OK for track days to run under suspect conditions. It defies any level of common sense.

And no way the track day org in this case should have went ahead and conducted their event.

wrx_02 likes this.
  5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

its all about expectations.

we already know that wet grass is slippery. its obvious when its wet. its obvious where it is. and its always there. the expectations match the outcome perfectly.

we expect sandbags to NOT be there. SCRAMP knows that sandbags are unsafe for motorcycles. but SCRAMP put sandbags there anyway. the expectations do not match the outcome and it was caused by a person.

2 years ago, it was super windy at a Fontana track. the wind was lifting the air fence. the trackday provider cancelled the day. a lack of air fence is not too far off putting sandbags in a runoff area. its an added danger that no one expects. had the trackday provider continued, I think they would have been liable.

7. stangmx13

I think the rider's lawyer must have been shitty or something. to me, the fact that those sandbags would never be there for WSBK screams that SCRAMP knows they were adding danger, not reducing it like the court ruling says.

he is appealing.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

That's impossible ! That lawsuit is frivolous I tell you ! FRI-VO-LOUS. It should be dismissed immediately without a hearing and shit. :D

stangmx13 likes this.
  9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Huh?
    What guidelines are you speaking of?
    Please name me one other track who actively employs sand bags along the track edge and in the run wide area.

Wet grass Vs. a track management placed object are separate discussions. In a way you make my point being that if given space void of sand bags and culverts your chances of recovering and not crashing are much better.

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve ran off in wet grass and didn’t crash because there was plenty of area removed from track management placed obstacles.

10. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Not my link, that was posted by Szymon himself

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You mean just on the run up to six, right? It appears there are a bunch scattered around the track. This one, between 9 and 10 is right on the edge of the track.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

You linked an address to a Monterey male massage parlor. :eek:. NTTIAWWT.

13. stangmx13

heres an applicable paragraph from the FIM circuit standards document. obviously, sandbags do not pass this rule.
    ya thats what I meant.

I think im fine with the grate after T9. thats not anywhere close to the line. so if u run it over, u are already going off track. id bet its completely flush. people generally crash much earlier in that corner. etc etc.

of course, I wouldn't be cool w/ any sandbags placed near it to funnel water away from the track.

14. dsapsis

You going to argue with a 300 lb (+ :oops:) bully?
    Ooops.

15. dsapsis

I hear you, and I like your construct of expectations informing safety. However, runoff use sometimes gets manifest in strange ways that make the normal line a moot point (like getting bumped at apex and standing things up).

From the photos you can see how poor infiltration is there, and how much surface erosion occurs that causes the needs for the bags to keep the storm drains from clogging. It sure looks a whole lot more like and than typical gravel used in runnoff that is FIM spec. No matter, sandbags in the middle of designed runoff es no bueno.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Vale be like....

"Ehhh, for sure dee grate give dee maximooom of traction for dee Breeejstone"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. stangmx13

what is "infiltration"?

ya the erosion is def noticeable in the video. I bet the sandbags also prevented a lot of the decomposed gravel from washing onto the track surface. thats great and all, but its not worth it.

seems like the grate drains aren't doing their job well. I wonder why the track didnt decide to go with something like this
    [​IMG]

18. dsapsis

The rate at which water percolates into the soil profile.
    The trench drains are good for expelling track runoff; The hillslopes and runoff/gravel are another beast entirely.

19. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

Because they have no money due to politics.

I was waiting for a hilarious picture of the 300 mile wide concrete slab with colorful squiggly lines painted miles inside to denote a track also known as Paul Ricard.

Get us some European level track funding and maybe some of that money will actually go into proper FIM level safety on our "asphalt laid into the dirt out in a field somewhere" tracks we generally have.

Go look around the outside of Thunderhill some time. The whole off track experience is just rutted dirt everywhere from the rain.

20. rabbit73

rabbit73 Scheiße

I have a permanently embedded metal reminder of that because I lost the front in Turn 9.