1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lap time goals

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

When you visit a track once a year or so, how long does it take you to get down to your old times?

I was at Roebling last weekend, it took me all day Friday (4 sessions) and half the day Saturday to get to my old pace. Sunday I made some improvements.

Of course, this was only my third trip to Roebling ever, and I had not been there in 2 years. I also didn't have any notes or AIM data. AND it was AHRMA, there is ALOT of traffic of varying speeds and skill levels.

But all that aside, if a pro showed up who had never been there before they would probably be setting the pole after about the third session on Friday. SO....obviously I have some work to do.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  2. guzziguy

guzziguy Well-Known Member

I find the first session or two are "re-orientation" after that the initial times to visit a new track are when improvements are made each time, really still learning the track. Never get up to "race speed" until race day, probably not the best plan but that is what it is, less incentive to win practice, and I dont get paid to do this.

Rising Sun likes this.
  3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

I think each track varies. That said, Roebling is probably the easiest track to learn and easiest for the vast majority of racers to go fast at because its a pretty easy layout. But if you hadn't been there in a couple of years, probably not uncommon for it to take you a bit of time.

jonathanp likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

any specific turns giving you problems? weather?

5. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

THAT is why they are professionals. :Poke:

Gino230 likes this.
  6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

if im at a trackday, never. too much traffic, too much risk, old tires, etc etc.

if im racing, usually within the first hour of track time. sometimes sooner if I mount up new tires too.

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I'm new to this, but I'd say if I've been to this track before the morning sessions/practice get my head back in the game, and in the afternoons I'm pretty much back where I was.
    Although Jennings this year, right after my 1st session I dropped well below my last year's best. Granted I was being coached by Geoff May and improving with every section of the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Gino230

Weather was perfect, high 70's and sun. Of course the faster corners take longer for me to get up to speed, probably because my "home" tracks don't have corners like that, true high speed sweepers. So it takes time for me to build my entry speed.

I agree that RRR is pretty easy, however it does require some concentration and focus to get those entry speeds up.

I ended up about a second faster than I went 2 years ago, which is still about 5 sec off the winner's pace (Kern). I knew there was still plenty of room to go faster, but I didn't get a clean run in many corners due to traffic and lappers. AHRMA is a great org but there is alot of speed disparity so pushing for a lap time can be a challenge. Then again, it didn't affect the leaders too much....

It's always my goal to do my last race pace in practice, so that I can improve my race pace for Sunday. Doesn't always work that way, unfortunately. For some reason I really need to grid up to get really moving.

TurboBlew likes this.
  9. Gino230

The first hour could mean the 4th 15 min session? Or sooner than that?

I'm assuming you have a good notebook or data that you use to visualize the lap before going out, to get your closer? So you at least know within a lap or two where you are slow?

At Homestead, what I tried doing was going immediately to my old braking markers as hard as I could. Even if I didn't make the corner, at least I got used to the speed I needed to approach the braking marker. Sort of getting the brain up to speed a little quicker.

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

No matter how hard I try I can never run my race pace in practice

JJJerry likes this.
  11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

At club events, I usually get there 3rd or 4th session if my tires are good enough. At MA events, my goal is to match my best before the end of FP2 assuming its a track I've been to before.

I usually go through a track map, think of every little thing I can improve, and write them down on the map. Do I let off the brakes too soon? Did I get to the brakes quickly and hard or was I lazy about it? Can I up the corner speed? Did I get to full throttle for as long as possible on that short straight? etc. I wasn't allowed to use data at MA events last year and don't always have time to check it during club events.

At MA events, I've got sector times to compare to others. If I'm way down in one sector, I know I should focus more effort there.

At club events, I've been to the tracks so many times that its pretty easy for me to visualize where I'm losing time. Did I get my knee down while on the brakes into that corner? Is my rpm lower through that corner (meaning my corner speed is down)? What other "tricks" did I not do? etc etc.

I focus a lot more on where I let off the brakes and how fast I'm going than where I get onto the brakes. Using aggressive braking markers is a great way to rush the corner, which makes me slower.

Gino230 likes this.
  12. Notes.

Taking very good notes is the most important thing. Livengood has really helped me a lot with that. He takes very good notes for the bikes. so he can actually setup the bikes in his shop before the race weekend. Then when he shows up, the right springs and knob settings, gearing, etc is already on the bike and it is ready to go.

Then I take good notes for the track. I have a full lap down on paper. Gear selection, shift points, turn-in points, brake markers, brake release points, exit points, so on and so forth. I read the notes the night before, and again in the morning, and I run a mental lap in my head. So I am mentally ready and already have a visual of the track, plus the bike is already setup and ready to go.

Then i will do some stretching and exercises in the RV or pit to get my body loose and warmed up. For me, that is important. Riding/racing is like any other athletic sport, your body has to be ready for it. NBA players dont sit on the couch, then get up and walk out for the opening tip. They spend hours getting loose/warm. Racing is an athletic sport also. I try to get really loose and have a sweat going before I climb on the bike.

After that, as long as the weather and track surface is good, I will typically be within 1sec of my race pace on the 3rd or 4th lap. Ill take one lap to survey the surface, take a quick look at the runoff areas, etc. Then the 2nd lap I will pick up the pace to make sure my brakes and tires are good and hot. Then the 3rd lap is at race pace (or as good as track conditions will allow).

Edit: this is assuming it is a track we have been to several times and know well, and returning to said track on the same bike. If we are there with a new bike, all bets are off.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    cav115 and Gino230 like this.
  13. By the way, make sure you don't change the bike to suit your reduced morning pace. Brian having the bike setup to my normal race pace is really helpful. If/when I complain about the bike, before making any changes he will look at my lap times. Rather than change the bike, he will simply say "ride harder...you are still 1-2sec off pace".

If he made the bike feel better at my reduced pace, then I would have problems in the race.

14. One more thing, in general, I don't work towards lap times by thinking about lap times. Of course we all have a lap time goal in the back of our minds, but when trying to obtain that lap time...the last thing I think about is the lap time.

One of the silliest things is when people will just say "go faster" (if they are being serious when they say it). "Go faster" isn't a plan or solution. It doesnt work like that. If someone leaves the pits with a sole plan of "going faster", they will continue to do the same shit over and over, with no improvement in results. There has to be a plan for how to go faster.

Work on getting on the brakes later and carrying them deeper into the turn, or perhaps releasing the brakes sooner, or pay attention to throttle application and make sure you are using all of the available rear grip, or it could be as simple as vision. Make a point of looking further down the track, further ahead in the turns, etc. That will slow everything down and open up attention span/reaction times for more speed.

If I find myself at a sticking point, rather than trying to "go faster", I will take a step back and work on specific fundamentals. It is usually when I stop trying to just go faster, that I end up going faster.

Gino230 and TurboBlew like this.
  15. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Go back to Roebling in 2 weeks and give it another shot. Btw, I can't find the AHRMA results on mylaps speedhive. Are they not posting them anymore?

16. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

AHRMA remains challenged in many ways. Obtaining accurate, consistent electronic data from a transponder system as used by every other motor vehicle racing organization and timely making such information available to its members who pay for such is an "opportunity" for AHRMA.

Cheers,

Dave

17. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Very good stuff in this thread. Thanks guys.

18. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

My 1st time at RRR this passed weekend. Felt I left a lot of time on the track. Turn one was never right as you can carry a lot of speed in there. Found the track a more bumpy then I thought it would be and my suspension was not setup for that once I got my lap times down to the 22s never enough time to sort that on Sunday with only one race and leveling for home early on Sunday! Ahrma has issues but not a bad place to race. Not happy with the long delay on Saturday with no info on time or what was going on. Same on Sunday with practice number 4 but hay minor issues. Will be going back next year with more knowledge and hope to run in the 20s ..

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

lots of visualization helps. Going through an entire lap i your mind, reading good notes (as Broome mentioned) ahead of that .. I see a lot of riders show up not having thought much about the track and it's layout, till moments before they are throwing a leg over the bike. Spend some time before the weekend watching onboard vids if possible, and 10 min or so before you go out get all by yourself and think about a lap or 2 .. I find i ride a lot better early in the weekend, when i take the time to do this.

cav115 and Gorilla George like this.
  20. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I was there too in Group 4.... The delay sucked before my race on Sat.. We were the first up... I got damn Oil Dry in my eye on the first lap and it fucked with me the whole race... I just ran Next Gen 2 but still had a blast...I wish I knew you guys were there I would have said Hi.... That was my frst time back at Roebling in 10 Years.. I couldn't get out of the 20's...