1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top cases / tail bags.

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Feb 13, 2018.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have one of these too. Can't say that I totally love it. It isn't waterproof (and the rain cover is extra) plus it's a pain in the ass to hook on. I've used it as travel luggage more than motorcycle luggage. This piece is why I went to hard luggage.

https://wolfmanluggage.com/products/overland-duffel

2. rd400racer

When are you going? Looks like I'm picking up a new Super Tenere this spring. Not heading to AK but I might ride part of the way there.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

For stuff like that I'd go with Kriega for sure.

4. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I just put a Bumot on my 1190 Adventure and love it so far. I wanted something metal and lockable, but as small as possible while still holding my laptop. This one fit the bill perfectly.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pxjgE0wFwL2OBzWo1

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  5. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

I like the OEM aluminum BMW cases on my GSA. Well, not the looks per se. Then again, the whole bike is a bit to digest...anyway, they are made by Touratech and all keyed to my (admittedly otherwise key-less) bike. Also don't notice when loaded as the electronic suspension takes care of it. Heard stories from some ADV coaches they have been responsible for broken legs though.

6. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Givi all the way. The mounting plate is unobtrusive when not using the case, and you can buy the mounting plate separately and then switch the same case from bike to bike. Well made and waterproof.

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Kappa and Givi are 100% identical save the branding, Kappas are cheaper. As for top vs. side cases, the main attraction of top case is the fact that your crap doesn't all fall out when you open it. There are only a few top loading side cases, RD has the E22's on his FZ1- I had a couple sets of those and love them too. Anything Givi/Kappa that felt "flimsy" I bet wasn't mounted properly or you had it way overloaded.

8. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have Givi Monokey hard 40 l. sidebags on my FJ-09. What I like is that Givi has been doing that system for a long time and when I do change bikes, all I need to do is buy the racking and they can follow me. They are tough as nails, if a little ugly. Top cases suck because they seriously fuckup the bike's weight balance. I would only get one if I absolutely needed the extra storage space. I don't need it for the touring I do now (3-4 days max, once or twice a year).

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Hitting the road in early to mid June depending on other commitments. I'm gunning for Prudhoe, but we'll see how far my ambition takes me.

I've been seriously considering a Super Tenere also. I'm smitten with my Multi, but the miles are piling up and I can't stomach paying over $22k for a new one. I'm also tired of doing belts and valve adjustments every 15k. It's a GD project.

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Nah, it was bolted to the Givi plate they make for the Multi. It was just a cheap $90 case. They make a line for scooters called a "monolock" that's nothing like their top line stuff.

11. Tristan

I'd think you'd find the S10 rather boring after a Multi, FJ09 perhaps?

12. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'd like to ride one. It seems kinda small though.

13. Tristan

Yeah, I'd only get Monokey cases for a full size bike. I've had multiple no-name Ebay cases that were pretty damn good for crazy cheap, problem is you can't tell how good the plastic is until you buy. Had a Coocase brand that sucked for the cost.

JBraun likes this.
  14. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

What he said^

15. rd400racer

I've got an old GS now (96). It's been a good motorcycle, but 6K valve adjustments etc are getting old. I like the WC GS and checked one out at BMW Louisville. Great motorcycle and you have to love 125 HP out of the boxer. But you still have those valve adjustments. I rode a 14 ST a couple of months ago and while it didn't knock my socks off power-wise, it's an ADV bike. I can rail on my FZ if the need arises. I want rock solid reliability and zero maintenance...the ST does that.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

The more the merrier. I do most of my trips solo, so it’s always awesome when people join for a few days or even a few miles.

17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

AK is on my bucket list. I’m going somewhere next summer, just don’t know where yet. Been thinking up to Hudson Bay.

18. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

If everything goes to plan we should arrive in Prudhoe Bay on June 6th. Let me know if you are going to be there around then. We need to at least meet up for a photo!

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

FWIW- Since you already have the Givi on there, I'd consider a tall square'ish bag that you can strap up against the Givi. Might be nice to have something to lean back against after a few hundred miles.

If not and the Givi is def coming off and you'd rather stick with soft luggage, I'd HIGHLY consider giving these guys a look, I actually purchased one of their bags...loved it but literally a week later a dude I had contacted regarding a used set of aluminum hard cases finally replied and we worked out a deal so I returned it.

https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-luggage

If you're scratching for a trip to ride, I MIGHT be doing this new route that is presently being released, google MABDR (Mid-Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Route)....group I may be joining is currently working on a 5 day event at the end of May beginning of June.

20. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hepco-Becker.