1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was anyone else long on Bitcoin Cash before today?

Discussion in 'General' started by Knotcher, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

seriously. property or municipal bonds would be my first go-to's. randomly had a meeting this afternoon with a PM at my work who literally hardly understands bitcoin (i don't even know how we got on the subject... she admitted that she first bought some like 5 years ago or something so she could get black market ephedrine when it was banned from the diet pills that she was taking haha) and bought a handful for like $1 each and a few more for like $50 each back when. i don't think she has early retirement money, but she said she's up to a pretty substantial amount now and is about to cash out. of all the dumb luck...

sbk1198 likes this.
  2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Miners are selling and devs are selling, but there are only so many coins?

3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Bought mine mid-2016. Did some graduate investment research over a semester and played with quantitative investment theories on the crypto exchanges for awhile. Then decided to just hold because it was too much work to try and gain more BTC riding the alt waves.

It takes a long time to learn this stuff, even the basics. Expecting to come in with traditional Finance or IT knowledge and learn fast is like a street guy expecting to run race pace his first year of track days.

4. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Yes. But BTC subdivides very easily so a single coin can be thought of as 100,000,000 Satoshis. Right now 60 Satoshi is about equal to a penny.

5. dtalbott

I've been trying to follow this thread, and I think that is the first time anyone has explained that it's not "coins," but percentages of a "coin."

So any idea on how many many times they can subdivide?

I think somebody said the total number was hardcoded, but if each coin can be subdivided infinitely, that changes things.

6. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

A Satoshi is 1/100,000,000 of a BTC and the smallest supported unit. Other cryptos have different rules.

7. dtalbott

Thanks.

So it's limited, but not very limited.

8. Sweatypants

did you get free SAS in your studies? i think there was a student version of it for free if you were on the Econometrics path, but i avoided that class like the plague and probably shouldn't have and instead was on the Macro/trade path. i wanna learn it. i don't wanna pay for it OR the class haha

9. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

its very stable. only droped 3k in one hour.

better off buying lottery tickets.

BigBird and Sabre699 like this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

Up $1300 today :timeforabeer:

11. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

bought google at $93.00 .

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Enron sold for around $91 a share at one point. :D

TurboBlew likes this.
  13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

And gave carry forward losses to their owners for years as an added bonus... :D

14. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

I used SAS in school. I liked it. But then again Econometrics was actually one of my favorite college classes...

Sweatypants likes this.
  15. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

When I got my Economics emphasis Econometrics undergrad degree I did...the 1990 Mainframe version! Next semester I take the Econ block of my Grad program so we'll see what's changed in the last 25 years.

I have access to all the "fun" tools (SAS, Python, R, SQL Data Tools, etc..) but they aren't so fun because it's what I do for a living. Thankfully I have a team of analysts and quants who manipulate the controls :D

Sweatypants likes this.
  16. Sweatypants

its for sure interesting (well now, to me). i was just never really interested back then in portfolio management, but rather overarching theory and human behavior/game theory so i went that way instead.

haha i mean, you seem to like this all the same... who says you can't have fun at work. you throw any algorithms at this shit yet? or just speculating on behaviors instead? i wouldn't even know what parameters to give it. i will say i got a few ideas this week though, i thank you guys for filling in a few gaps. i got some research to do for sure, but i think i might have a decent formula to go with. time to get a bank account in aruba haha :D

KrooklynSV likes this.
  17. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Have any of you guys got in, pre-ICO?

18. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

A fundamental truth of getting ahead of the curve is knowing something others don't. This applies and is most studied in equities. I spent a semester under a Professor who worked with Greenspan proving this out mathematically. It's why it's extremely hard to beat the long term returns of an SP500 or other broad index with active trading. I've come to be a pretty strong believer in the efficient market hypothesis. I believe the Internet makes localized knowledge even harder to "hide".

Since I don't know anything others don't, and because correlation <> causation I gave up. Someone far smarter or with far more time than me might figure it out for awhile but then others will copy bringing the return down to market.

BTW, I'm sure you know this but MS Office 365 has very powerful stats analysis tools available. Our groups often prototype in desktop tools..it's really automation and corporate scalability that requires the use of more power...Unless you areally looking at Terabytes of raw data.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  19. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

So....how 'bout that Ripple?

20. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around