1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica changes for 2018

Discussion in 'General' started by rcarson15, Sep 9, 2017.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Depends on if the racer wins or not

2. I can program the Motec stuff pretty good and actually have one at home for a project. You can get lost in it quick so break it down into simple elements

3. No but a Motec unit (or comparable) lets you do a lot more than just TC.... amazing pieces of kit once programmed correctly, if not done correctly they are a disaster though.

4. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Woolich Racing Software for 2007 + SV is about 750 (USD) with the data logger, and is WAY more reliable than the piggyback set ups
    A guy could build an altitude based map data base and have a setup ‘ready to load’ for most altitude and barometric conditions.
    Reportedly you can do AFR, and ignition timing with one box, a few wires, a relay and an O2 sensor. :D

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I won't even put tach on my sv, never mind all other electronics :)

JustaNobody likes this.
  6. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

So that's where Sam gets it...

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Dynos are useless with modern electronics. And yes, I fully expect anyone with a dominant bike to change maps before the bikes hits a dyno that could change rules out of their favor.

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Useless? I would strongly disagree with that statement. Regardless, I think regularguy may have been suggesting using the dyno to compare different brands and builds in order to establish parity, not to use it as a penalty device. DMG did it all the time. Unfortunately, Dynojet is not a sponsor anymore, so there is not a dyno automatically in place.

JustaNobody likes this.
  9. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Some kind of open / closed switch setup ? I have heard of these things but they are too difficult for us technology averse (luddites?) to understand. Thats why we all like the twins !

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously?

You know you can easily set it up so the rider or wrench can change maps before the bike gets from the track to the dyno. As long as that possibility exists they are useless for determining rules using the actual bikes being raced. If you're using stock models as a baseline then yes dynos are good, if you're using known mods or a 100% spec ecu then yes they're good for comparisons. But as soon as you're using a bike that someone else built or tuned you cannot guarantee anything so you cannot use it to determine legality or even future rule changes as you've lost the accuracy you need.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Good computer guys can do it in different ways. The ecu sees the power cycle a certain number of times in a certain time period - switches maps. Same for anything the ecu can see or controls which in new bikes is a huge amount of things. Any sensor can be set so if it does something specific the ecu can be changed. The more open the ecu rules the easier it is.

12. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Of course it would have to be stock because that's the only way you can compare each bike equally.

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Not really, as one bike may respond dramatically different to intake/exhaust mods. (for example the FZ07's known restrictive intake)

14. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It’s always foolish to challenge someone who knows everything. Shame on me.

SuddenBraking and JustaNobody like this.
  15. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Yeah but can you really write rules for stuff like that? Just like bikes react differently to exhausts. Seems silly IMO.

16. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I understand what you're saying. It would be nice to think the bikes could roll up there as is. Without Dynojet on board for 2018, it most likely won't happen. We'll see who has the hot rod at Rd Atl when they come out of turn 7. 650 vs 650 vs 689 vs 800.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So please tell me why I'm wrong. I'd love to learn more. My post is based on my experiences running dyno classes and talking to people like Ammar about it and how easy it is to cheat the dyno. I'd love to hear your experience about how accurate it is and how the officials can get around the potential for cheating.

You're the expert professional tuner so teach us lowly officials.

18. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yup, 4.5 wheel even pinches the Pirelli 160.

19. ts199

ts199 Well-Known Member

Or we could let them race and see what happens! The disparity of rider talent in a class like this will most likely be the main determining factor on who wins and who doesn't, not the bike.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. That's what will make it hard changing the rules based on the bikes. However, they should be able to get a feel for it as they get to know the riders running it.