What does this instagram post from B. Spies mean?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Oct 4, 2017.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Definitely much easier to get a rider. I don’t see how you could build the infrastructure for a serious effort in this span of time. Not for a full season. Maybe selected wildcards for a few rounds and a full season thereafter. I’d guess that one of the biggest issues would be finding qualified support personnel this late even if you had the budget for them. I’m sure all the best people have already been snatched up for 2018. If it does come to fruition I can’t fathom how they’d do a full season next year. Not a full season with the kind of team that would befit a rider of Ben’s stature or produce the results he’s capable of.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Maybe he should go low-tech and team up with Hayden Gillim and offset the expenses.

They could be... "Two Guys in a Truck...WTF?"

[​IMG]

badmoon692008 and panthercity like this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

Win races is one thing. Winning championships another. So is Kyle on a higher level then Herrin? Seems to me Josh had the $1.5 backing and still couldn't even win a race, let alone a championship. But Kyle can. Hell he had a hard time beating Fong on a regular basis, if even at all most weekends.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  4. Chip

Chip Registered

Nobody had anything close to $1.5MM in funding besides Yosh and Yamaha.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

That's just it. Relative to the competition and from the actual results KW really didn't distinguish himself from the other racers with simular budgets. Even with $1.5m I don't see him regularly beating Yosh or Graves or Yamalube if at all.
    Even when JH got the Graves ride it still wasn't enough for him to win, but KW can? Nothing against KW because he does have a very nice program but I don't see $1.5m putting him at the top spot on the podium let alone a championship.

$1.5M to Spies and if he truly is healthy; I see him winning races and contending for championships.

rcarson15 likes this.
  6. Kyle led at NJMP for a long time, and Elias wasn’t able to get by him till late in the race...and Kyle still finished on the podium.

.....while riding a TRUE privateer bike and running the whole program himself. I mean from getting sponsors to working on the bike to installing warmers...Kyle has been running his own thing for years.

BTW - he also qualified very close to the front most of the time, including ahead of some pretty big names at Barber.

I’m not knocking his bike. It is badass. But it isn’t a Factory Yosh bike. For him to do what he did this year, on a shoestring budget, that is the epitome of pure talent.

TX Joose and BigBird like this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Isn't he a YCRS instructor and their home track is NJMP? He probably has more laps around that track than everyone else in the field.

mpusch and rcarson15 like this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

True but to be clear no one is questioning his talent or his ability to put together a competent team. But a couple of races does not a season make. Honestly speaking, if I had $1.5m to provide to a racer/team and just going by and looking at the race results and not knowing who the rider is this season and last season, I'm not sure KW would be in the top five of potential recipients. There are several other riders who have put in better results on simular equipment with simular budgets.

rcarson15 likes this.
  9. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol @ whoever said Herrin team had a 1.5m budget.

I've seen wera racers with better budgets than his team.

Carry on though, these comments are great.

10. Do you actually know Kyle’s budget? The only reason he isn’t “the man in a Van” is because he bought that truck.

You’d be hard pressed to find someone with better results in SBK, with the same budget.

To say he wouldn’t be your first choice is fair, a lot of it is personal preference/opinion. But to say he wouldn’t be in your top 5 is ludicrous. I don’t think you have followed Kyle’s progress closely enough over the years to appreciate how much he has done, with how little he has had.

The fact that he can be competitive is a true reflection of his insane riding ability. I would love to see what he could do on a big team where he didn’t have to get funding for the bike and work on the bike and ride the bike and fix the bike.

Cajun Kid likes this.
  11. Irrelevant.

Elias now has multiple weekends there and knows the track just fine. Not to mention he is someone that has beaten Rossi heads up in the dry, a former Moto2 Champion, and is piloting a full Factory Superbike for a top notch team.

You could give any of us 9,725,673 laps around NJMP, AND put us on Davis’ WSBK Panigale, and we wouldn’t be able to stay ahead of Elias for even a couple of laps.

The fact that Kyle was able to lead most of that race as a true Privateer, is fucking impressive.

cav115 likes this.
  12. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

JH on said 1.5 million dollar budget...

0917BA97-8304-43C8-90D2-B15AD5A51857.jpeg

turbulence and Cajun Kid like this.
  13. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

https://twomenandatruck.ca/ They could hit these guys up for some logistical sponsorship.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Fair enough. But just going by the combined results of both classes he's not consistently in the top five. Im sure a higher $ budget could consistently improve these results. I'm just saying that there are also several other riders who could also make the exact same claim while also having better finishes on average.

Chip made the assertion that if KW was provided the $1.5m that Spies supposedly has, that KW could win races. Maybe he could but it certainly wouldn't be the given like Chip is stating it to be.

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

LOL @ your reading comprehension.:D
    Graves didn't have a $1.5m budget at the last two rounds (four races)?

16. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Haven't you learned anything from your previous experiences letting other people ride your bikes (and jet skis)?

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They all survived (so far) and the DRZ even won a championship! :D

Stumpy likes this.
  18. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

You literally have Kyle Wyman's photo as your profile picture..... You know you are a fan.

:beer:

19. Damnit! Beat me to it. I was JUST about to type “....says the guy who has Kyle as his avatar”. :crackup:

Cajun Kid likes this.
  20. G 97

G 97 Garth

I am a fan. He's an awesome racer who I cheer for.