1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What makes the R6 so much faster?

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Sep 17, 2017.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

The R6 seems to dominate virtually across the board, no matter who's riding it or what team has built it. You'd think that with the mods allowed in a top series the other brands would be able to correct enough of the stock deficiencies to be competitive but the R6 still dominates. What exactly does it have that the other bikes can't seem to bring to the table. Is it something in the engine design? Is the frame "just right" for flex/rigidity? Is it power deliberately?

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

3. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

The engine is deliberate:)

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Delivery

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I have no idea. Before my R6 I was racing a 2007 and 2008 ZX6 and I thought they worked pretty well. The bikes were on loan from a dealer who went out of business so I had to give them back, otherwise I'd have stayed on Kawis.

Ended up on an R6 by accident and was quicker on it within a few laps. It was unbelievable how easy it was to ride that bike fast. I actually thought my lap timer was broken.

The only difference that I noticed was how well it changed direction. The ZX6 kind of steered like a dump truck, so the first lap on the R6 I nearly went off the inside of the track in a bunch of places. Besides that, no idea. It's just an easy bike to ride. Yamaha people are smart evidently. That's all I've got...

BigBird and jonathanp like this.
  6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Blind pig, something, something, acorn.

J/K. That TZ DNA does come out.

7. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

It's blue.

Blue is the fast color.

cav115 and pscook like this.
  8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

explain the Suzuki MotoGP team then?

9. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

It's Steeltoe's fault.

10. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

And the banner add at the bottom is for abs brake pads and KWR.... didn't k&n have one too around the last time he had a issue.

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The tuners know what do with them.

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Probably.

As for the R6, chassis. All chassis. It was winning even when the motor and tranny were hecho in mehico quality.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

its been a good model since the early 2000s. Really the "only" complaint would be its weight, which really isnt a problem. :D

Be neat to see the Fz9 or 10 motor transplanted in one for F1 giggles.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

It came out in '99

15. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

And it's not that heavy

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

In the US at least its lost to the Buell once and the GSXR three times between 2009-2012, and there were some fast and capable riders on the R6 throughout those years.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Weren't three of those four losses at the hands of Danny Eslick?

18. We're not talking about fights just racing. :crackup:

pscook likes this.
  19. First and foremost, the chassis. The common description is "razor sharp". It changes directions and handles like no other

Secondly, the motor. It sucks on the street because it has no midrange, but it absolutely screams up top.

It is the only MW bike that is capable of reaching a true 160mph off the showroom floor (GPS verified in a top speed magazine test).

20. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

2, the other 2 were Martin Cardenas.

JustaNobody and RRP like this.