1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You people seem to like guns so lets talk about em

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jul 30, 2017.

1. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

You've had no malfunctions through a 1911 in 50,000 Rds?

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Yup.

I carry it all day long on the weekends, to work where it goes into a hidden lockbox in my truck, and then all evening after work during the week. Never had it come off lock, but it do check it regularly.

3. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Of course. Mostly due to magazines.

99% due to me running parts out of spec.

Some due to ammo. Running the gun dirty.

So tell me about your personal experiences with unsafe 1911's?

4. wsmc 589

Yes.

5. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I certainly don't have 50,000 rounds thru my 1911, but the only malfuns were trying to run 8 rounds in "8 round" magazine. After I figured out that was the problem, never had another malfunction. I may go several months between actually shooting, and it operates perfectly, clean or dirty.

6. wsmc 589

John Moses Browning designed it that way sir!

Engine 09. Next time your in Central Louisiana. Shoot me a PM. I have unlimited ammo and ranges at my disposal. I'll make a true believer out of ya brother!

7. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I've already told you. I don't like that it doesn't have a decocker. I guess if you're cool with leaving it cocked and locked then whatever. I don't think it's smart for a beginner to leave like that. My main gripes with a 1911 for a first gun though is price (for platform and ammo) and overall reliability. Once again, not that reliability is bad, but between my XD and friends Glocks we've friend whatever crap ammo through it with no issues. In my experience 1911's aren't as friendly to whatever random shit you fred through them.

And once again, I love 1911's. I haven't been able to justify the cost to buy one personally since I already have a FNX 45. Also, I still don't think it's a good first gun. I think a better approach is similar to what is recommended typically for track day riders or racers. Get an sv650 and spend money on practice and track time. Then once you get better, upgrade to a higher performance bike (in this case a 1911).

8. wsmc 589

That's not a safety issue man. That's the design.

You don't like the hammer to the rear I take it. Ok, but that doesn't make it unsafe. I base that on personal experience having carried it on duty for 12+ years. Having a unit that has carried it for 14+ years. Teaching trained and untrained both in glocks and 1911 variants. Not anything else.

Ammo cost? Once again your showing your lack of experience here. You do know that 1911's can be chambered in 9mm ball right? I guess not...

My offer still stands.

Got a meet this week. I need to get up early and see if this old 1911 can still shoot....

9. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You do realise that the 1911 is single action, right? Decocking it for carrying goes against its design. To unload, removed the magazine and cycle it manually to eject the chambered round. There really is never a reason to decock the firearm.

terminus est likes this.
  10. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I've heard the 1911 doesn't really like the 9mm chambering. Not enough recoil maybe?

The only thing I dislike about the 1911 is capacity, and maybe getting back on target. My next gun will be a CZ75B. Rented one a while back and really liked it. I only short range ammo, so I'm assuming ++p will recoil more, but probably less than the .45. The DA trigger trigger isn't as nice as the 1911, but with some time, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

There were some doublestack 1911's several years back(can't remember the manufacturer), but they seem to have gone away. I'm guessing reliability/feed issues.

Edit: it was Para Ordinance

11. wsmc 589

No man. The double stack 1911's are stronger than ever. Look at STI's 2011 line up.

Any feed issues can be solved mostly with springs.

My STI 5 inch in 9mm holds 22 rds and is a beast. If someone told me I had to walk through a door and get in a gun fight with a pistol, I'd grab my STI...

12. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Interesting. I'll take a look at the STI.

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The guys from Battlefield Las Vegas have a thread about reliability of it's inventory. 1911s are bottom of the pile. With Glocks at top. No surprises there.

Handgun reliability

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I read a couple pages of that thread. You hang out there much?

15. wsmc 589

Without going through 15 pages, are the weapons serviced at regular intervals? Or do they get a wipe down and put back on the rack after who knows how many rounds are shoot through them.

We have had some issues with our Springfield Pro-rails. It was ultimately our fault because we had not been keeping accurate round count and had no idea how many rounds some pistols had through them. I don't fault the gun, I fault us for not servicing them and replacing parts before there was a failure.
    Also, what's the grain of the round they use? Types of magazines? Lots of variables.

If anyone thinks you can shoot any gun forever without replacing springs and extractors etc etc. You're wrong. It's a mechanical device. It has parts that will fail, quicker without proper care.

16. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Damn those 9mm 1911's would be nice and look like they are great. Checking to see where sti Is in Texas aaannndd of course it's 5 hours from my brothers place.

17. wsmc 589

Don't go man! Stay away! You'll leave with one or two for sure...

18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The 1911 and .45ACP were specifically designed for each other.

Altering the 1911 for a lesser round did create issues.
    Prolly some 9mm fanboy thought they should have the same opportunity to fire their round of choice from that beautiful piece of work known as the 1911 and, not surprisingly, fucked it all up. (Political stereotype inferred.) :D

19. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

You don't ever decock a loaded 1911. That's your first problem.

Yes, or empty it then decock it if it bugs you.

20. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Only issue i ever had with my kimber 1911 style was that it needed a stronger return spring.

I replaced all the metal magazine followers with plastic ones. Never had a problem.

Never bugged me that it was cocked, either.

I Dont even think my Sig 938 has a de-cocker although my first Sig duty weapon did.

Maybe I missed it, why the anxiety with them, Engine?