1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You people seem to like guns so lets talk about em

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jul 30, 2017.

1. TheGrouchyCat

TheGrouchyCat Don't let my friends know I'm slow

Thanks guys

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

3. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

4. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Yeah but in my opinion it's not a good first gun. A polymer striker fired is more universal, lighter, easier to fire, safer, holds more rounds, more reliable, and cost less than a 1911.

5. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Safer? More reliable?

Curious what your basing those opinions on.

terminus est likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Not to mention "more universal"?
    What?!?
    EVERYTHING in the modern handgun world that is semi-automatic owes its existence to the 1911. This new shit is just a reinvention of a wheel.
    Oh, and Glocks suck. :D

IMO, your opinion of a "good first gun" is completely wrong. Here's why...
    - You do not give a beginner a lighter handgun. The recoil can be a bit much, painful even.
    - Easier to fire. How so? One only needs to put their finger on the trigger to operate the weapon? Yeah, I want a beginner having that level of "access" to a weapon.
    - Holds more rounds. How is that a good thing for a beginner. It's a bad thing...see the above item. Beginners get one round at a time.
    - More reliable? Hmmm. Under what circumstances. And, are you talkin' about a cheap gun, or are you takin' out a mortgage for this beginner gun?
    - Costs less? See above item.

terminus est likes this.
  7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

a new shooter just needs proper instruction and it doesn't matter what gun they have besides something outrageous like a .50 cal.

I recommend a 9mm glock 17,sig,m&p full size. Cheaper guns that will last a lifetime and you can grow into them as a shooter. Don't overthink it.

Besides
    Delta force counter sniper navy seals aren't using 1911's so NEITHER SHOULD ANYONE EVER

8. EngineNoO9

A striker fire vs double action hammer. Nothing wrong with the hammer but depending on the 1911 it may only have the grip safety and no decocker. A striker fired gun is just simpler. I'm not saying get a compact. A 4" XD or standard Glock is by no means 'light' and is a good platform to learn to shoot. Plus if he wants to carry a striker is easier to carry. Once again not impossible or bad to carry an open hammer gun but it wouldn't be my first choice at all.

Reliability, I'm going off of years of personal experience and years of working for the army and Navy with small arms testers. A XD or Glock (or M&P) will handle more rounds reliably (and different types) than a 1911. Not talking that the 1911 is bad but I literally can't name a failure on my XD. That's over 10 years and goodness knows how much ammo. 10,000? My dad's Glock 19 is like 20 years old and same thing. I could keep making friends with Glocks with zero failures if you want.

If you can find me a single test where a 1911 out performs a standard Glock in reliability then I'll be shocked. Because it doesn't exist.

And cost, even the lower end 1911's cost more than a Glock or similar gun. Plus, ammo for practice is going to be cheaper when looking at the two (typically). 9mm is half the cost almost as .45. There's a reason I shoot my XD more than my FNX 45. And why I'm looking to start reloading 45 where 9mm is cheap enough that I'll just keep buying that instead.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  9. EngineNoO9

Most of SOCOM are using Glocks. Believe even the seals moved away from the SIG recently.

10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

XD is a CZ is a Browning is a 1911.
    Of course it's a good gun. :D

11. wsmc 589

Uhhh you lost me at de-cocker on a 1911 bro.

Made to be cock and locked man, no other way.

12. EngineNoO9

Exactly the problem for a first gun. You try and have a noob gun owner decock a loaded 1911 by pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer. No thanks. I've shot for years and don't feel great having to do that. I prefer the decocker I have on my FNX 45.

Not to mention a few other odds and ends that almost any other modern gun had - chamber indicator for if there's a round loaded or not.

Basically anyone saying a 1911 is a good first gun is saying well a '69 Camaro is a good first car. It's solid, works, small block Chevy is reliable... Why not? Well when compared to the Honda civic of guns... It looks better but lacks the features and long term reliability.

13. wsmc 589

You're trying to solve a training issue with equipment.

Why would you pull the trigger anyway to "de-cock" a weapon?

I know lots of solders, sailors and Marines who's first pistol was a 1911.... seemed to work just fine.

In reference to your glock reliability, my unit allows both. I teach both. Glocks break all time.

14. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Why the hell would you decock a 1911?

15. wsmc 589

Thank you.

16. EngineNoO9

What do you do if you carry a 1911, don't shoot it and want to put it in your safe? You leave it cocked and locked?

17. EngineNoO9

You're trying to argue that an outdated platform is a good first gun when its not. It's a damn fine gun and has its place. But as a good first gun it is not and you've yet to make a point as to why its a good first gun other than you happen to know a few people that didn't kill themselves as a first gun. I also know a few people who got liter bikes as first bikes and didn't crash them. That means it's a good first bike for newbs.

18. wsmc 589

A few people? Ah man. Do your research.

Explain why a plastic gun with no external safeties is safer than a gun with 2.

Tell the pros it's an outdated "platform".

And let's talk about your experiences with 1911's that have de-cockers.....

19. EngineNoO9

XD has 3 safeties. I'm lumping most striker fired guns into the same bag (I don't like Glocks and prefer the XD). Still haven't given a good reason. Please enlighten me as to how it's a perfect first gun when it comes to ergonomics, reliability, cost, and safety.

Remember, I'm not saying the 1911 doesn't work. Just that it's not a good universal tool or a beginner tool.

20. wsmc 589

No perfect first gun.

Ergos? Well. I would say the narrow grip fits everyone. Females especially. The straight back trigger pull works well in allowing a new shooter to focus on sight picture without disturbing it while pulling that trigger....

Reliability? I have about 50k though my issue gun. How may do you have through your XD?

What's so unsafe about a 1911?

Cost. Sure. They aren't cheap. Of course I don't buy cheap helmets ether.