1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the FTP's amongst us

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by ryoung57, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So you're going to ignore the rest of my post including where I flat out stated I have no idea if it mattered or was as many as he said? Either way their statement was a lie.

:crackup:

Your significant other ever work the streets or work in a state ward with violent patients? It's different outside of an office treating those who come to you or doing rounds at a hospital ward where you get the 72 hour hold peeps. The long term unstable are a different world. Especially on full moon nights at 2am. All those kicked out of the hospitals in the 80's were the start of the homeless issue, used to hang out with former patients on the street, helped them to see a familiar face.

Anyway, the cops currently deal with the mentally ill all the time without shooting anyone, but those cases don't make the news. More training is always good for sure but common sense works really well with the crazies. Still curious which mental health professional you think should be assigned to every officer every shift in certain areas. If you have a solution that is fantastic, but have a specific solution not some off the cuff remark that would be a cutesy sound bite.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's the kind of thing I expect him to be wrong on, actively calling it a lie is a bit much but I guess if you're looking to bitch about him technically you'd be correct.

3. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Yes. Much less in cities like Chicago when working with underserved populations in the south and west side. While paying off a doctorate. And they do it unarmed while working with the same populations.

But it's good to have officers close for the worst scenarios as an officer may, just maybe, utilize their expertise once and a while

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd love to see all the social workers I've ever dealt with on a domestic when the one who called them out starts attacking them for arresting the love of their life who just happens to kick their ass every payday when they come home wasted...

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sweet - so go ask them, when they had a patient attacking other people, armed or unarmed, who they called....

While I'm thinking of it and it's on a tangent of sorts - ask them when they had someone middle of a full break or on pcp how many people would it take to subdue them? Lots of FTP'ers around here still don't believe me and always think the cops overreact by using too much force.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

You're an idiot.

7. pickled egg

What expertise is that? Beating up mentally ill people for kicks? Shooting innocent urban youth in the midst of turning their lives around?

8. pickled egg

9. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

10. Chino52405

They could start with not shooting the 40 year old women in her pjs from the passenger seat or the autistic man with a toy truck if you want to be smug. But what I really meant, is that muscle is helpful and necessary sometimes when dealing with crazy.

11. Chino52405

[​IMG]
    Keep on hammering

12. pickled egg

Let's see what *really* happened before you start going all "they shoulda done this instead" armchair quarterbacking. I'd hate for you to embarrass yourself further.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  13. pickled egg

Mine's a 28oz Estwing I've had since 1988.

That screw would be countersunk.

14. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Not 100% true, I listened to NPR were some cities were training officers for recognizing/dealing mental health issues. These trained officers were sent on specific calls.

Chino52405 likes this.
  15. Chino52405

The specific discipline of mental health professional doesn't currently exist, but neither did occupational therapists until quite recently. There is also a for profit school system cranking out doctorates when there are only X number of certified APA internship sites so we are losing a lot of qualified professionals 4 years into a 5 year eduction and telling them this investment is now worthless (beyond the MA they got two years prior).

That said, it is not a social worker and its not a psychiatrist - it's a masters to doctorate level position that would require specific training on working with officers and in the field.

To think that this isn't something they wouldn't anticipate going in underestimates them quite a bit. Even in non-violent situations, the idea of "keep it in the family" is escalated by multiples when police arrive. Calling the police in a family situation would get you disowned in the rural, conservative part of pure MI where I was raised.

16. pickled egg

So how many people did your rural, conservative MI police officers gun down for absolutely no reason whatsoever?

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

The last page or so looked boring, can someone bring me up to speed?

Chino wants a head Dr to ride shotgun....is that right?

Hey regarding the shooting in Mn....any updates about the officer, the media seems awfully hush hush?

I mean I think we knew Officer's Wilson's name, address, height, weight and eye color before morning.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  18. pickled egg

Nothing I've heard yet. I don't even start asking my sources until things have settled down and the knee-jerk stupidity has subsided a bit.

Sarah tried to tell me all the theories bandied about on fakebook but I gave her the ol'

[​IMG]

kangasj and XFBO like this.
  19. blkduc

His identity was released. He was the first Somali cop in the 5th precinct. The mayor (voted 2nd worse mayor in the US), once hailed him as pillar of the community.

20. blkduc

So this batshit crazy, race baiting, gang sign throwing (yes really), radical leftist mayor who tried to open the Office of Equitable Outcomes...declared the officer as awesome. So he must have been just great!

This idiot is just one in a long string of terrible mayors that have brought this city down and promoted hatred. http://observer.com/2017/04/worst-mayors-in-america-failing-policies/

:rolleyes: