1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most efficient, least messy way to bleed brakes and clutches?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jun 22, 2017.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

What is it? Need for flushing/refilling too. I'm sick of making messes. Willing to spend one meeeelion dollars on the best solution.

2. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

3. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

if it involves brake fluid or anti freeze/coolant, you are gonna make a mess

BigBird likes this.
  4. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I tried one of those several years without any luck. Seems like a cheap, crappy tool.

5. condon66

condon66 Member well known

brakebleed.jpg
    This makes a lot less mess. You probably do it this way also? For me I dont get a mess at all.

6. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

best one I found, harbor freight item # 92924 central pneumatic[​IMG]umatic

Jay305 and BigBird like this.
  7. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Great tool. Have used it for many applications including brake bleeds. It helps to know what you're doing. :D:Poke:

BigBird, Chris and crusty9r like this.
  8. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Have someone else do it for you....

5axis, Chris, dtalbott and 1 other person like this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I had a Mityvac and it never worked that great. Recently I did a complete front brake replacement on my Bandit and bought the cheapo Harbor Frieght one...that baby can suck the chrome off a trailer ball!

10. I have a mitvac but now use a bottle I made with a Venturi vacuum pump hooked up to the air compressor. A lot cleaner, don't have to empty the bottle until you are done and easy set up. For back bleeding I use a big syringe for I'm assuming cows from tractor supply with a hose safety wired to it then put a zip tie around hose on banjo

Rogue4 likes this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

No problems keeping your compressor at 90 psi?

I found this under a different name on Amazon for $28 so went ahead and ordered it. My Ducati 998S Bostrom front brakes and clutch are both FUBAR from sitting. Will give it a go. Thanks!

12. 418

418 Expert #59

13. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

For car and truck clutches I just gravity bleed them. It hasn't failed yet.

14. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Unless I'm starting with a completely dry line or master, I just use a length of clear tubing that fits the bleed nipple tightly and an old 20oz plastic drink bottle with the tubing through a hole in the cap....Half full and knock it over? No spill, no mess.

Empty system that doesn't want to "prime?" Mightyvac with shop rag around the bleeder.....No mess.

Pumping the lever with the master cap off?.... Likely a mess on a 15 ft high ceiling! :D

scottn, BigBird and TLR67 like this.
  15. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

I use a big coffee can with the plastic lid on it.
    One wrench on each bleeder and one length of clear tygon tubing run from each bleeder
    into the coffee can, through little "X" cuts in the plastic lid.
    No switching wrench & tubing from one bleeder to another, and no mess.....ever. Works for me anyway.

tigerblade and JBall like this.
  16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

20 cc syringe and tubing, works great. :)

Rich Graver likes this.
  17. MotoGP1199

MotoGP1199 Well-Known Member

This is what I do as well. I have no mess at all. On the track bike I put in the speed bleeders(and use the clear tube) and it really makes the job super fast and easy with one person. I just crack the bleeder with the tube on it and pump away, tighten the bleeder and the brake lever is super stiff.

18. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

1) SpeedBleeders
    2) 2' length of clear hose and a gatorade bottle
    3) Roll of cheap paper towels.

Install bleeders.
    Attach hose to bleeder.
    Place other end in Gatorade bottle with end submerged in brake fluid....yes pour a little bit of clean fluid in there.
    Turn bars in a manner that allows the reservoir to sit at its highest position.
    Ball up several paper towels, one at a time sop up all the old fluid in the reservoir.
    Once all the old fluid is sopped up, pour in clean fluid and start bleeding (for two line systems- start with the longer line), keep topping it off until you see CLEAN fluid coming out of the clear hose at the bottom w/ no bubbles.

This has been the easiest and cleanest way, for me, over the last 30 yrs.....and I own a mityvac.....never thought it worked all that great and always seemed to suck in air somewhere.

19. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

As a tip you can use a syringe to suckered out the old fluid in the master, one of the turkey baster ones works well. Saves on messy paper towls.

The mighty vac sucks air in around the threads and possibly other places.

XFBO and 5axis like this.
  20. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

Any particular brand of Speed Bleeders that you guys recommend?