1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can you possibly afford to race

Discussion in 'General' started by redhawkmoto, Apr 12, 2017.

1. redhawkmoto

redhawkmoto Well-Known Member

I'm new to the blog and I just want to know how can you possibly afford to be a racer these days just getting everything started looks like a daunting task not to mention fuel, tires, and travel expenses . I want to race but idk if I'll ever be able to afford it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Where there's a will, there's a way. Good luck and welcome.

sPatlovich1 and Laz like this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Big Sherm, Murcielago311, Laz and 3 others like this.
  4. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

From your pic and lack of combat patch, I'm guessing you're junior enlisted in the Army.

I know the pay isn't great, but I started track days as a PFC in 2005. I lived in the barracks, didn't have a car payment or any other bills. When my buddies wanted to go party, I stayed in my room and ate ramen. I would car pool with others to the track. Bought take offs, rode a cheap bike that was easy to maintain, used pump gas etc. It wasn't until after my first 15 month deployment that I bought a dedicated late model track bike.

It just takes time and dedication. It helps to have friends with the same goal. Buy a small Ninja and tires will last forever. They're my biggest expense. Racing is definitely doable on an Army pay check.

Attached Files:

obcbr, Cajun Kid, SnacktimeKC and 3 others like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Is it allowed from an injury risk standpoint? I know my division officer put the kibosh on my bull riding ambitions in 88/89... perhaps things have changed since then.

6. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

It was never an issue in the units I was in. You were definitely harassed as a motorcycle rider though. POV inspections are fun when the bike isn't even street legal.

7. redhawkmoto

I don't think it will be I just don't know how I will take the brc and arc classes on a non street legal bike

8. Rogue4

Rogue4 Well-Known Member

If you don't plan on riding street, then it's not an issue. Just tell them you're only riding on closed circuits. You won't have to take the bs Army riding courses.

Josh Herrin has been racing for over 20 years (11 professionally) and just got his road license today.

Pollyden and sbk1198 like this.
  9. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

FWIW, since it hasn't been said yet, I think choosing the wrong bike can add to the expenses in fuel and more so tires. If budget racing, I'd look no further than one of the current crop of LWT's. Good luck!

sbk1198 likes this.
  10. Pimpin' ain't easy.

Odilup, joec, Phl218 and 1 other person like this.
  11. No matter what you do, DO NOT go down the road of racing on credit.

I know people who haven't raced in 5 years or more, but still have tens of thousands in credit card debt.

I have a policy of not playing on credit. I don't have a credit card at all (haven't had one in 8 or 9 years, and I don't finance toys. I could walk away from racing right now and would have $0 in debt leftover from it.

If it means you have to race an older bike, or smaller bike, have to use take-offs and pump fuel, and can only do 1-2 races per weekend, then so be it. Those things are much better than having a bunch of loans and credit card debt.

12. redhawkmoto

I'm going to be looking into a 600 around 3 grand when I buy

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Grom.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. redhawkmoto

Yea currently am deployed but I'm saving as much as I can for a truck and bike and I'll get all the warmers and stuff

15. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Inline fours are tire eaters.

V5 Racer, XFBO, rk97 and 3 others like this.
  16. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

There is a reason for this. Road racing requires a huge mental, physical and financial commitment. This is not for the faint of heart. It is a hobby that demands one put their life on the line knowing at the end of the day you won't make a dime from it, but that it might cost you everything.

It takes a certain kind of passion, a certain kind of insanity to step into this ring, the half-assed find their way out rather quickly, sometimes with all limbs intact. However, should you decide to enter this melee, you will not find a happier bunch of madmen who are gladly willing to give the shirts off their backs and parts off their bikes to assist with your addiction.

17. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

The best advice I was given about racing is: If you can't afford to throw it off a cliff, don't race it!!!

Words to live by. Also, I completely agree on the credit thing. Don't do it !!!

Gorilla George, Bypass and dobr24 like this.
  18. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I started on a 600, and I wouldn't do it again knowing what I know now.

SV650 for me, or a 250/300.
    The giggle factor is through the roof from what everyone says.

Lawn Dart, XFBO, Scott S. and 2 others like this.
  19. redhawkmoto

I wouldn't be opposed to the 650 but I don't think I would have as much fun on a 300

20. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

They usually provide the bikes for the BRC classes. In my experience taking the other mandatory classes on a track bike isn't that big of a deal.