1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Dyno comparison (new Gixxer)

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Feb 16, 2017.

1. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

2. Bruce

Bruce Tuck & Roll

Who is this toe you speak of?

3. Yeah, something seems really off about those figures. I know exactly what mine weight out of the crate, and after race prepping, and that wasn't it. They show the RSV4 to only be like 5kg heavier than the other bikes, which is also way off. The RSV4 is very narrow and compact, but it is also very heavy (even in race trim, because all of the weight is in the motor and chassis). The RSV4 is a lot heavier than all of the other Liter bikes. It is by far the heaviest bike aside from the MVF4 (which is about 8lbs heavier, depending on which article you read).

Does the Honda even come with Forged wheels?

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, you don't shit about shit, shithead. :D

Imagine the impact of the GSXR750 back in 1986. Just when everyone was all bonered up for it, they shocked everyone by announcing the GSXR1100. It was like a kick to the balls by a super hot and topless chick.

The 1985 (1986 in 'merica) GSXR750 was the greatest of all time. There was stuff before 2010 ya' know? :D

fastfreddie likes this.
  5. Motorcycles didn't exist in the 1980's, im calling bullshit. :D

And as an FYI - I owned a 2006 Gixxer 1000 (it was my first Liter bike). My first bike was an '06 Gixxer 600 that I bought new/leftover in 2007. Then a little later, I found a similar deal on an '06 Gixxer 1000 and obviously I was ready for a 1000, I mean I had been riding a 600 for well over 2 months. :crackup:

I had a black/grey 600 and 1000, of the same year. I had a picture of them parked side by side, and used to use it in the "im too big for a 600" debates. For all intents and purposes, the bikes were dimentionally identical (only 1-2mm different here and there between them). I would post that picture, then be like "if you are too big for a 600, then you are too big for a 1000".

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I had a 2006 Black/Grey GSX-R1000, awesome bike right out of the crate. I should have kept that bike.

TurboBlew likes this.
  7. Dude, I loved that bike. That is the one bike I still kick myself in the ass for getting rid of.

roy826ex likes this.
  8. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

I'm willing to trade mine for your Ape... :D :D :D

9. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Yea me too, I have had many bikes since then but that one I truly enjoyed riding. At the time I had a few other bikes and found myself not riding the GSXR much. A guy contacted me out of the blue about it and I sold it to him. Regretted it the next morning and ever since.

The GSXRs I've had since then just have not carried the same feeling I had towards that model. It did so much right. The engine that was in that bike is what dragged me to the GSX-S1000 I bought last November. While no where near the same bike as the GSXR of course the engine is still a wonderful feeling to twist the throttle on.

Barreto927 likes this.
  10. I got rid of the Ape a few months ago. But you can go ahead and give me yours anyway. :D

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Where else can the weight be? Bodywork? Turn signals? Just a funny statement. I LOLd.

BTW, the 86 GSXR was the original game changer. Wheelying out of corners leaned over became commonplace and even easy. Unforgettable motorcycle. It also sounded like a Singer sewing machine at idle with stock pipes. Total sleeper.

Triple X, TurboBlew and fastfreddie like this.
  12. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

never mind,I would regret it anyway. :p

13. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I had the 2001 GSXR1000 right when it came out..it was a true game changer that knocked everyone back at least 1 notch.

IMHO, I dont consider the 86 GSXR a game changer, more an outright revolution.

14. In many cases, the weight is tied up in things that get removed when the bike is race prepped. Big heavy exhaust, huge headlight assembly, heavy subframe and fairing stay, etc. The RSV4 was the only bike I have owned that didn't lose a ton of weight when race prepped. The solid, thick frame and swingarm looks really cool, but that shit is heavy as hell (compared to other bikes).

The OEM bodywork, headlight assembly, super tiny tail section etc on the RSV4 is actually a lot lighter than any of the OEM stuff I have handled on other bikes. Which means that stock for stock, the RSV4 doesn't weigh too much more than other bikes (15-30lbs or so, depending on which bike you are comparing it to). But that weight discrepancy/differential becomes higher when the bikes are race prepped, because the other bikes get a lot lighter, but the RSV4 doesn't.

You can do race bodywork, exhaust, Li battery, lots of Ti bolts, aftermarket subframe and fairing stay, and all the normal shit on other bikes, and they will lose a ton of weight...but doing that stuff to the RSV4 doesn't drop much weight (compared to the other bikes) because those stock items aren't very heavy on the RSV4. It is that big heavy ass frame, swingarm, and motor accounting for the weight. I think I read they lightened the new motor up quite a bit, which should help some.

Some guys on the apriliaforum have gotten very creative, and spent thousands and thousands on custom carbon fiber, magnesium, and titanium shit, even thinking outside the box with things like Ti shock springs, monocoque seat/tail section, etc...and all of that still doesn't get them down to the weight of a Panigale that is bone stock with just race bodywork.

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You turned a four word answer into four paragraphs. Well done.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

In my mind, it's the most important motorcycle of all time.

The 1969 CB750 takes the spot away now and again. Ya' know, if I've been drinking or bumped my head or just feel like giving a true game changer its due.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I just figured out part of the genetic experiment: they must have spliced popcorn into his DNA.

fastfreddie likes this.
  18. It's what I do. :D

19. Shutup.

I get excited talking about motorcycles and riding. I can't help it.

Wheel Bearing likes this.