Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Trust me, I expect that.

If I like the AR platform, and I was to spend some money and time on one, it would likely be an AR10 in .243 as a coyote gun(but I've only gone twice), with a heavy barrel and nice glass. This will be a plinking/learning about them kind of gun.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I bought my .308 Oracle from DEGuns. Incredibly nice people to deal with.

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm going to keep an eye on their "deal of the day", which seems to last for weeks.

rd400racer likes this.
  4. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I have experience with 2 M&P sports and a few DPMS...all of them have been great. Prices will stay low for a while now that panic buying has stopped. Keep in mind that these are like legos, you can upgrade later easily. Here's a great search engine to find gun and ammo deals:

https://www.wikiarms.com/group/ar15rifles

XFBO likes this.
  5. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

7. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

8. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

EOTech has a mixed rep due to some recent shenanigans with QC notably on Government contracts, but there's millions out there. For some reason I struggle with acquiring the reticle compared to a standard red dot.

I use an aimpoint with a magnifier, and while it works well, I only did that because I already had the red dot. Starting fresh I would get a 1-6 (ish) illuminated reticle standard scope of some kind - much less $$ and lighter, and will essentially serve the same function.

For the kind of $$$ you're going to spend on an eotech with magnifier, you can find a pretty damn nice scope with real magnification.

9. 600 dbl are

My plan was to put the EOtech on my Kriss and the magnifier on my M&P15, then just swap the red dot between the two.

10. Rhino48

Oh, well that's different. I'm not following... What's on your M&P now? Swapping a red dot sight back and forth would be a lot of readjusting...

I will say the EOtech magnifier is pretty damn spendy for what it is. Vortex or Burris would save you some dough and from what I can tell are just as clear.

terminus est likes this.
  11. 600 dbl are

I have a truglow red dot on the M&P right now.

I feel weird throwing a $60 red dot on a $1400 weapon. The swapping wont bother me as I rarely shoot 2 weapons during a range visit.

I don't know jack about optics and was just using the "get what you pay for" approach.

12. Rhino48

Ah, gotcha now. There's as many opinions as options, but, yeah, you should have better sights.

I think the EOTech would be awesome on the Kriss, although like I said my eyes like Aimpoint better. Budget minded alternative:
    https://www.natchezss.com/romeo-5-compact-red-dot-1x20-2-moa-5-moa-adj-m1913-black.html

something like this for your AR:
    https://www.natchezss.com/1x-5x-24mmillum-mat-393806.html

You'd have sights on both and still have enough to buy a cheap 3X mag for the red dot if you really wanted. Just something to help complicate your decision making process. You're welcome :)

600 dbl are likes this.
  13. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

I like the EOtechs but man are they pricey.

I'm running a vortex sparc on one AR and love it for under 100 yards. My eyes can't handle using it for longer shots though. My son does alright with it out to about 250 if he's just banging steel. I think it has a 2 MOA dot.

I've been running a Vortex 1-6 on my 3 gun rifle and if the sun isn't too awful bright I can turn on the lighted recticle and use it like a red dot on anything under 50yrds....

I tried the magnifier with an aim point and it was just too heavy and cumbersome.

Palmetto State Amory was running a special on the vortex sparc 2 for $140 I think

600 dbl are likes this.
  14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

:stupid: I tried running a magnifier behind an Aimpoint a long time ago and hated it. Too bulky, and looking through two sets of glass just made things harder to see. I go dedicated optic on everything. Those are great options from Rhino. Also check out Primary Arms micro red dot, it's like that Sig above and it rocks. 2 MOA dot with a battery that will last about 4 years so you just leave it on.

The 1-4x scopes have really taken off for a reason, they are really good at being a crossover scope that does a little bit of everything well. I like budget stuff that is made well. I'm a huge fan of SWFA and Vortex because they are quality scopes at cheaper prices. Check out the SWFA 1-4x. I love mine, it has a nice quick throw lever, illuminated, has a great BDC reticle, built like a tank, and is impossible to beat as far as bang for your buck.

https://swfa.com/catalog/product/view/id/109309/s/swfa-ss-1-4x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope/

If you turn the magnification down and the illumination on, you use it just like a red dot. Some people like a 1-6x but I find the 1-4x just fine for banging 10" steel out to 300 yards, dirtnapping coyotes, or any short range work. Like Rhino, I would go red dot on the Kriss, and a 1-4x (or 1-6X) on the M&P. We live in a great time to have so many options! :beer:

15. 600 dbl are

I looked at the options and I did end up going with the EO Tech. I just liked the way it looked (stupid reason) while attached. After shooting it on the Kriss for the first time Saturday I now completely understand what you meant about your eyes not picking up the sight as well as others. With my TruGlo on my M&p-15 I can blow through a full magazine with both eyes open, never losing sight of the red dot with my right eye. With the EOtech, I have to reclose my left eye every three or four rounds to refocus. I think it has to do with the 65MOA ring. I hate close range shooting (15-65 feet) with one eye closed. I'll live with it since this isn't a defense weapon, but when I go for the SBR version I will definitely get a different sight.

The Kriss is very different from anything I've fired. With shooting other weapon systems in rapid fire like the MP-5 and AR platforms, my bullet impacts on targets go up and right. With the Kriss they are trailing down and left. The rounds are still impacting in the 6" target ring (45 feet), but it's a muscle memory adjustment that I don't have yet. The only legitimate negative I have with it is how heavy it is (8lbs). I've read other reviews and people have complained about the trigger. Maybe it's because I've never fired a high end trigger system, but I had no issues with it. Other than that, its fun as hell to shoot.

SpeedyE likes this.
  16. diggy

diggy Well-Known Member

This has been in the family forever, was originally my grandfathers and I'm currently bringing back to life one of the original AR's... we'll not exactly. Anyway, an as delivered late model Winchester m1 carbine. Hopefully getting to the range this week.
    [​IMG]

SpeedyE, 600 dbl are and daveknievel like this.
  17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Finished my 300blk pistol

[​IMG]

Hollywood, 600 dbl are and dobr24 like this.
  18. 600 dbl are

That made my pants wiggle. Very nice :bow:

Scotty87 likes this.
  19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

It's sooooo light. Should have done this a long time ago. Who do we like for folding irons?

20. CW AF 03

CW AF 03 Aspiring has-been

I've got Troy and like them a lot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk