Daytona 2017

Discussion in 'General' started by twodocs, Mar 12, 2017.

1. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Ok I'll bite. How does it do that? At it's purest level, it's money gathered, and used, to support a racing program. Sounds like many sponsorships to me. At the most elemental level.

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

No delineation between Expert/Pro and Novice??

3. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

I think people confuse the word Donation with Sponsorship.

Sponsorship provides ROI (return on investment) to the sponsor.

GoFundMe at its purest level is begging for money (or asking for a donation).
    (I am specifically talking about motorcycle racers not other things on GoFundMe)

Ride safe,
    AAron

G 97, Laz, drop and 2 others like this.
  4. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

From the 2017 CCS rule book for Daytona 200

2.2 LICENSE REQUIREMENT – All riders participating in qualifying or racing must have a valid Expert Road Racing license and a minimum of one (1) year Expert level road racing experience. ASRA reserves the right to refuse any competitor a competition license or grant exception to these requirements

Ride safe,
    AAron

worthless likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Eric will correct me I'm sure but the CCS ones I've seen say Expert :D

vizsladog and DucatiBomber like this.
  6. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

All racing is club racing. If you have to buy a membership, it is club racing. It the organization charges you to be there, it is club racing. Period.

7. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Sponsorship could also be considered begging for money. I just think your limiting this too much. Some folks get enough ROI by knowing they helped someone they enjoy watching race. There are some GoFundMe type benefits that do what's called "perks" those can be anything from swag, to personalize messages, to behind the scene experiences.

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Who would come up with an idea like that lol

britx303 likes this.
  9. So you are trying to tell me Rossi doesn't pay an annual fee? :)

10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Is there actually a D200 thread discussing the race somewhere? :rolleyes:

MachineR1, G8rDuc, Wheeliest and 2 others like this.
  11. Ok I'll rephrase this then to your wording. GoFundme is the laziest form of soliciting sponsorship (in most cases). I have seen a few clever ones though like donate x get a free shirt, y gets you weekend race passes, etc. to me that's a great way to go about it if you are going to go that route anyway. I've "donated" plenty of money over the years to help peoples racing programs but all of my donations have been to people who have not asked but I knew could say, use someone anonymously picking up their tire bill for the weekend, couple cans of go fast juice, etc. I've seen fundraiser events too that were a good idea. I just struggle with some of these people spending all of 5 minutes setting up a gofundme page and expecting money.

5axis, Wheeliest, G 97 and 1 other person like this.
  12. On the ccs board :)

13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Not much race to talk about yet. D200 Practice starts at 9AM, but I don't think there is any live timing.

First of the Q sessions is at 10:45AM.

14. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

You got me. I actually went over to look.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hope not since he does :D The teams also pay entry fees I believe - I know NASCAR does and their drivers pay for a license every year.

backcountryme likes this.
  16. Yes they do, kind of semantics but they do and I think that's mainly a legal thing IIRC.

17. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Lol well played

18. Agreed. And it isn't sponsorship, it is purely begging, plain and simple.

I've seen them all over the place. Even seen them on TDJ. Guys being like "I want to get into track days, please donate"...or "I've decided to give racing a try, I've setup a GoFundMe page so you can contribute to my program". :rolleyes:

What "program"? You are going online, into a group of peers, begging for money. That isn't a program, that is an online version of standing on the corner with your hand out. Except you aren't starving for food...you are asking other people, who are working hard to fund their OWN riding, to give you money to pay for yours.

Fuck off with that shit.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    throwdown, Nick_OMC, HPPT and 8 others like this.
  19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yes :D

20. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I have a hard time picking a winner, but I'm gonna go with slick, if he doesn't punch anyone tonight. Should be a good race!

And who cares who is "pro". The 200 is gonna be a bunch of haul ass mother fuckers, that's all we need to know.

This. If you're sponsored, your job is to promote and sell, and also show that you use it as a successful racer. The most important thing is promoting the product.

The only time I'd even consider supporting a Gofundme racer, is if someone is doing a one off like getting an entry in the TT, or some unique event like it. And that would be out of kindness to help a friend chase the dream for just one day.

Gorilla George likes this.