1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cash Only

Discussion in 'General' started by GixxerBlade, Jan 18, 2017.

1. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Is it unusual to ask for cash only when selling a bike? Guy wanted to buy my racebike but wanted to give me a cashiers check. I was weary about from hearing all kinds of stories. I figured if the guy could get a cashiers check what's the big deal about getting cash instead? I haven't heard back from him after I requested cash only. FWIW he's a former racer.

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'll give you three fiddy. Cash. :D

GixxerBlade likes this.
  3. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Cash only!

Also, do the exchange at your bank and have them check to make sure it's not counterfeit. I recently sold a car to a couple that was shipping it overseas and I got very nervous so I had them meet me at my bank and I had the bank make sure the cash was good.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  4. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I had a guy buy a bike off of me, I told him cash only. Not only did he go to bank and get the cash, he asked the teller for one of those markers and she gave it to him and brought with him so I could check the bills myself. Any good human would understand the risks and make sure he does everything he can to insure you its a legit purchase.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

The bike I bought this weekend was the 66th motorcycle I've purchased in my life and I've only financed one...all the others were cash. I've never bought or sold one any other way (except of course the one financed).

Boman Forklift and BigBird like this.
  6. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

When I've purchased, I've paid cash.
    When I've sold, it was pre-arranged that they would have to wait for their check to clear.
    Or, they paid cash.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If I don't know you you're giving me cash, at my bank. No check. No IOU. And sure as f@ck no paypal.

15 bucks, little man, put that shit in my hand. If that money doesn't show then you owe me owe me owe.

cajun636 and mike574 like this.
  8. keevo54

keevo54 Well-Known Member

It depends. Ill take cash...normally pretty good at recognizing the counterfit. Or I will meet them at their bank and watch them get a cashiers check. Same difference and the higher the price the less likely people are to hand over cash.

9. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Cash or we go to the bank together

10. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

Cash, unless I know you then a check is fine.

cajun636 likes this.
  11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Cash and a counterfeit marker

Shenanigans likes this.
  12. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have often paid with cashier's checks especially when buying a bike out of town. I don't particularly want to show up with several G's in my pocket and they know I"m coming and I"ll have it. From a seller's standpoint, I certainly prefer cash. Wasn't it Vesrah that took a cashier's check for about 30G's that was fake??

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

66th bike...that's impressive.

I bought a bike in 2004 from a guy in Chicago. I told him I'll bring cash when I pick up the bike, we were meeting half way. He said he preferred a postal money order, not cash. He said he didn't want to carry cash back to Chicago.

14. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

Nothing but cash, and even then I check it with the special pen.

I've had a dozen folks try to use fake bills, and cashiers checks... don't fall for it.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I prefer cash, buying or selling. As for the seller jumping me- I don't let them know I'm carrying a wad of cash ahead of time... I show up to look at the bike/car and if I like it I whip out the cash and start lowballing.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Cash or gtfo.

TurboBlew likes this.
  17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Is that what Antoinette said to you?

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Dozens? Either you live in a rough part of town, or it's all those Nigerian emails/purchases for your web domain business, isn't it ..

BTW, cash preferred. Otherwise send the check 7-10 days in advance and don't come pick bike up until it clears.

dsmitty37 likes this.
  19. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

If they want it bad enough they'll find a way to get cash. Only way I do business.

20. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Cash or make sure the check clears prior to them taking the bike. Last bike I sold the guy sent the money via paypal. I told him he had to pay the fee paypal would charge and wait until the money cleared into my bank account. He seemed nervous but went through with it. I was not nevervous because the bike was not leaving my garage until the funds cleared. LOL

dsmitty37 likes this.