1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oakland Warehouse Fire

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Mongo, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay, I totally get the loss of life being devastating. It is. I feel for all of the families and friends of those who died in such a horrific manner.

But the assholes who created the firetrap were already blaming the landlord the morning after it. What the fuck?

Blame the landlord for the wiring - when you wired in your own stuff as part of your art? Blame the landlord for not having sprinklers when you're not allowed to build the shit you did in the warehouse?

All of those artists who contributed to the firetrap are to blame, they're not victims. Stupid waste of life because art is more important than using your damn brain while you're being creative.

Shenanigans likes this.
  2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Nobody can put a price on art. :rolleyes:

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've been to warehouse parties, been there when other people have done burnouts inside them and all sorts of stupid - but knew where the exits were and where the fire extinguishers were (if a bike was running). Maybe it was dad/grandpa or Boy Scouts but paying attention to that stuff has always been part of how I think.

Hell, even wiring things up before I knew what I was doing I still paid attention to potential shorts and overloading circuits and so on. Granted, still didn't stop an electrical fire in my bedroom as a teen but I didn't rewire the wall fixtures. That was done when they were converted from gas probably early 1900's.

joec and V5 Racer like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

shame the City didnt condemn the building.

Just the egress considerations make me cringe. :(

5. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

The Friday before the fire the owner was under the microscope for illegal construction. All of those rooms built on the inside with no egress - illegal. That dummy built a death trap and then allowed a concert in it. The stairwell was built from pallets. The upstairs had a boarded up egress.

There were multiple code violations being investigated on this property and others that the guy owned.

There was no permit pulled for the concert - which would have led to safety requirements. And they should not have even had that party there with the illegal interior structures.

Many people were to blame here. The property owner was a big part of it. Nobody thinking anything bad could happen in a tinderbox death trap was another.

The other thing that concerns me here is the vast amount of people that are turning to illegal housing because they cannot afford rent. These land owners are preying on people that can't pay rent and building structures that aren't safe. It's a tough world out there.

6. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

They might be trying to place blame somewhere else but after all is done. It will be them that's rotting in prison.

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It seems that the owner in this case was one of the tenants. He apparently had his children stay there most nights too.

I saw the guy being interviewed this morning on the Today show. He definitely needed to STFU and get a lawyer. It sounds like he was trying to help and ended up with an unsafe building where people lived in the end. Sad all the way around for sure.

8. CausticYarn

Ugh.
    What a mess.
    I know people gripe about code requirements. But there is a reason for them. This is one of them.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Are you talking about the actual property owner or the space owner? I think they are two different people. I'll have to hit up the googles.

Saw something on the talking face box about people doing this because of high rents in the Bay Area - my question is why do they stay there? If you're a struggling artist then struggle where it's cheaper... They also can't be too struggling, I can't afford that many tattoos...

Ian178 likes this.
  10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It's a well known FACT that leftist libtard regulations stifle the economy....

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - property owner is Chor Ng. The main guy in this Ghost Ship thing is Derick Almena - he's labeled the owner of the collective (um, huh??) and the manager of the space, evidently he was subletting it to the people living there. Making some money from it too, one thing I read talked about $700/mo rent, another said 15 tenants and he was only paying 5k/mo to rent the warehouse so $5500 cash right there other than utilities which were supposedly sporadic anyway (power and water got shut off regularly). Evidently they had RV's inside the first floor along with all sorts of other crap and then a pallet staircase to the second where concerts happened - with no means of exit other than the pile of bonfire fuel.

The one dude I saw running his mouth was some sort of assistant manager or the like. He was bitching about how the actual property owner wouldn't do things for him and the manager (meaning Almena) - the whole time I'm wondering if he understood they were renting a warehouse not already built loft apartments. EIther way he was definitely looking to blame the actual property owner for their misuse of the property.

12. CausticYarn

And code violations kill people.

joec likes this.
  13. CausticYarn

We were just discussing it at training last night. We didn't get much into the meat of who was who.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

After hitting the googles I can see why the confusion. He owned the commune and sublet it out so he was the landlord to a bunch of people and the owner of the cult but not the property owner. Who it seems he lied to regularly about it only being art space and no one living there.

I did see another article saying the rent was 3-600/month not the 700 I originally posted. He did make money on renting it out for concerts like the one they had the night of the fire. Also a number of complaints from former tenants about giving money for improvements to him then nothing was done.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

so I wonder if the whole liability lies with Chor Ng? Wonder if some of the victims will file suit against the City and owner to shake em down? If it was an ongoing thing... I would not want to be a fire marshall or code inspector there.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Meh. Building codes and zoning are multi-purpose. They protect life and property. They help to maintain property values, at the expense of the freedom to do whatever you want. They are also there to protect insurance companies from casualty losses.

17. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

If he/she did everything in their power to find out what was going on and documented it they'll be fine. It can be very hard to get a written order to get into a building. They just can't walk in without exigent circumstances.

As a firefighter, inspector, and fire sprinkler contractor I personally feel that Almeda should be facing homicide charges. The contents and construction of his tenant space goes above ignorance of building codes, it's downright negligent and cost 30+ people their lives. In the end, he is responsible for the space as the leasee.

Just a thought for all, think about this fire next time you or your kids are going through a haunted barn or something of the like. Most of them are almost exactly the same as this warehouse and a lot of municipalities don't enforce fire codes in them because they are an Agricultural occupancy (even though most state codes allow them to be inspected)

Stay safe

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Absolutely guarantee people will sue her. However not sure if they should be able to. Especially if the lease Almena signed specifically says no subletting. Either way he is the one who broke the zoning regs for the property. Also curious what recourse the owner has to inspect the property in Cali, I know a lot of places the owner can't check on things without a lot of lead time notification - so there's no way the owner could know people are living there.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed - especially if even one of the people talking to reporters about issues they raised with him is telling the truth and willing to testify to that. Ultimately it strikes me as being his fault.

I'm not getting the other supposed artist excusing him because of high rent, what a shit excuse for illegally modifying a warehouse and making it a deathtrap.

20. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Yeah, high rent isn't an excuse for what was going on.

I'd ask each one of them to talk to the guys and gals that pulled the burned bodies out and ask them if cheap rent was worth it.