Multivitamins

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, Jul 26, 2016.

1. 6_Myles

6_Myles Well-Known Member

I take the Optimum Nutrition Multivitamin. Serving size is 3 pills...rather than dump all that stuff at one time and pee it out, I take one in the morning and one at night. I eat rather well, so I figure i don't need the 3rd pill.

Edit: no idea if it works, but I take them along with fish oil and taurine every night/morning and I feel pretty great.

2. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I do the Centrum Silver multivitamin thing just figuring "why not?". I could probably go days without them though with no realized impact.

HOWEVER, I have to have my Vitamin C (OJ) every gawddamn day! It freaks me out when I go visit my sister & BIL and they don't have some OJ in the frig. Who the hell doesn't drink OJ?!?!? :eek:

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Take the blue pill

4. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I have a pretty crappy schedule; i rotate day work to night work then back every two weeks. I feel better taking a supplement.

Have you noticed a difference doing that, Kaz?

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Oddly enough I have. And its not just Animal Paks either. I've gotten into the habit of popping all supplement capsules open or grinding caplets in my pill grinder before consuming them and I've noticed more of the expected effects of them than I noticed before just swallowing them whole. It's a little more tedious but if I'm spending the money on them I'd like to be sure they're being as effectively absorbed as possible

TMI as it may be I started doing this after noticing a few what looked like untouched pills after dropping a deuce which got me to wondering how much stuff I've taken that's just passing right through me and not being utilized.

I limit it to just supplements and stuff. I haven't taken any prescription meds for a while but I think with those some of the actual coating on them is meant to buffer or slow absorption and whatnot, so I wouldn't do it for them, but for just regular supps its fine.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Oh and just as an aside interestingly enough, if there's one vitamin to take out of all of them that the general population usually ends up being deficient in is......vit D. Its probably one of if not THE most important vitamin to make sure you're not deficient in as it affects a ton of different bodily processes, and not the least of which to fight off cancer.

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazi...ked-importance-of-vitamin-d-receptors/page-01

V5 Racer likes this.
  7. Hollywood

Hollywood different breed

Happy to add a potential placebo to my already pretty good diet. If I get extra vitamins and more than my body needs, I'll just piss it all out anyway.

Dollar Beard Club Growth Multi. Lumberjack look in no time! https://www.dollarbeardclub.com/join/accel

8. A normal daily multivitamin is good. Regardless of how healthy one thinks they eat, it is almost impossible to get all of the daily requirements of every single vitamin and mineral from diet. So a multivitamin is good.

However, those super concentrated ones that have like 500% of the daily recommendations are a waste of money. They just give you expensive piss. Your body can't utilize all of that at one time.

beac83 likes this.
  9. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Depends on what you want the multivitamin to do for you.

Your Centrums, One-A-Day's, etc basically cover your daily dose of recommended daily allowance. If that's what you're looking for, go ahead. If you think you'll take one and suddenly you'll be leaping tall buildings, that ain't happening.

There's a LOT of multivits, mineral and herbs suppliments out there. MANY of the herbals have ltitle to no evidence that backs the claimed results that the manufacturer makes.

For examper... black cohosh could be bottled and labeled by one mfg to help treat varicose veins. Another mfg could claim it helps treat alopecia. There is no burden of proof. That's why they aren't considered medications. Medications have to be proven safe and EFFECTIVE, herbals and vitamin suppliments need only proven to be SAFE. That said, the vitamins like A,C,D, the B family, etc... we know the role they play in daily body workings. But ask me what Siberia root does and I ain't got a clue. (* yes there are some rare exceptions to that*)

Point is, stick to the basics to cover your RDA, and don't spend your money on contrived multi-pak blends. Certain conditions may warrant higher doses of specific vitamins (ie. winter = more D) but for the most part a daily mvi is fine.

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Some of us don't want the extra 40g of sugar or the diabetes. :D

BigBird likes this.
  11. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

So i took your advice and put an animal pak pouch in the blender and holy crap, what a difference.

I just switched from night work back to day work and today is a day where i usually drag at the gym. I had more energy and strength.

Thanks for that tip!

12. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

BigBird likes this.
  13. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

Guess I'll drop the turd in the punchbowl. The feels say yes, but the evidence doesn't.

"The large body of accumulated evidence has important public health and clinical implications. Evidence is sufficient to advise against routine supplementation, and we should translate null and negative findings into action. The message is simple: Most supplements do not prevent chronic disease or death, their use is not justified, and they should be avoided. This message is especially true for the general population with no clear evidence of micronutrient deficiencies, who represent most supplement users in the United States and in other countries"
    Source: http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1789253

"Indiscriminate use is, in most cases, probably useless and potentially harmful. We are collectively throwing away billions of dollars into supplements, chasing the idea of benefits that have never materialized. Multivitamins are marketed with a veneer of science but that image is a mirage – rigorous testing doesn’t support the health claims."
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/more-evidence-that-routine-multivitamin-use-should-be-avoided/

"Only use supplements if your healthcare professional has recommended them."
    Source: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condi...y-or-Hoax_UCM_432104_Article.jsp#.V5iwCvkrLIU

scottn likes this.
  14. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I like pissing Mt. Dew!

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Kind of lines up with what my MD said..."a simple multi-vitamin won't hurt, but it won't do much either unless you have seriously poor eating habits. Anything more is a waste of money."

16. BigBird

BigBird blah

I know how I feel with and without, placebo effect or not. So I'll continue. Thanks though

Gorilla George likes this.
  17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think he's still alive because he's really Davros and he's secretly building the Daleks.

sowega likes this.
  18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

No sweat.....its a little disconcerting considering how many friggin years I've been taking these and other supps and to think all that time I probably wasn't getting as much of my money's worth from them.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Lest we forget who lobbies for and funds alot of research carried out by scientists and doctors. Its not in doctor's best interests to recommend keeping yourself healthy by NOT taking their pharma backed drugs rather than finding alternative routes of trying to prevent getting sick in the first place.

Healthy patients that never need to come into the doctors office except for the occasional routine checkup don't pay theirs or big pharmas bills sufficiently.

I've become VERY leery of this shit. If there's money to be made then there is ALWAYS alternative agendas.

BigBird likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Most good MDs these days have more patients than they can handle. If you are looking for big money, look at pharmaceuticals and the supplement industries.

Boman Forklift likes this.