Quadcopter for track day?

Discussion in 'General' started by bradd15, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

One thing you guys need to realize is that you do not own airspace. You do not own the airspace above your home, just as much as racetracks do not own the airspace above tracks. The FAA controls and manages that airspace. Tracks can only ban you from landing/taking off from their property. However, the FAA prohibits UAS's from operating in the US for commercial purposes. You can use a model aircraft under an agreement between the FAA and the AMA (Aircraft Modeler Association) when operating under certain conditions. Some of which are not within 2nm (might be 3, I forgot) of an airfield and not over populated area (which includes outdoor events).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Yep, which is one of the things that cracks me up about people worried about cameras on quadcopters. I can fly over your home in a cessna or a helicopter and take all the photos and video I want to, just have to be a little higher. :D

3. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Can these things be safety tethered and still operated? Like maybe flying/hovering 100 feet in the air, but off to the side of the track, rather than over it?

Would obviously take some set up for the camera angle, but at least it won't be directly over an active track. Just a thought.

Maybe an inflatable device that's tethered for safety?

4. Sacko DougK

Yes, and interestingly enough, if it is tehered in a secure manner the FAA doesn't prohibit it. But, if you tether in a fixed position, you may as well use an LTA (lighter than air) ship and stay airborne for hour or days.

A solution I would use would a fixed wing aircraft. Longer loiter operations, safer altitude and the ability to get to a safe area in the event of a power loss. I would not want a rotary winged aircraft around races. How would you feel about going into a corner and have a quad-rotor flying into you because the guy in the stands lost control due to a gust of wind or battery power?

5. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

But they do own rights to the event that would photographed, and the ground that said pilot would be standing on. They are not saying you would be arrested they are saying you would not be allowed to do it. In other words you would be told to leave so you would get a few minutes of footage then get tossed out. Also the red flagged event would have some upset people involved.

6. hrc_nick_11

In the United States, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has the sole authority to control all airspace, exclusively determining the rules and requirements for its use. The general rule is that airplanes must fly high enough that, in the event of an engine failure, the pilot can land the plane without undue hazards to persons or property on the ground. The exact altitude requirements (except for purposes of takeoff and landing) are as follows. In congested areas, airplanes must stay 1,000 feet (300 m) higher than any obstacle (building, antenna, etc.) within a 2,000 feet (610 m) radius of the aircraft. In non congested, sparsely populated areas, or over bodies of water, the pilot must remain at least 500 feet (150 m) from any person, vehicle, vessel, or structure.[1] Therefore, it appears to contravene unused air rights above 500 feet and near airports.

Feel free to do it above the 1000 feet I'm sure you will get great footage!

7. Newsshooter

Maybe, maybe not, depends on the use. For editorial use not so much since it is in plain view, commercial use is a whole different story. I can fly over in a Cessna and take photos too. Probably be cheaper for me since I already own very nice camera equipment and the airplane rental would be cheaper than buying a nice radio controlled camera platform and learning to fly it well.

That being said, a good pilot with a large hex or octocopter could be a mile away, fly in using FPV, get some footage and fly out, so you wouldn't need to be on the property. A friend with a Hexacopter is getting over 30 minute flight times.

It's a lot like motorcycles and 200 mph Honda's, :D there's always going to be someone screwing it up for everyone else.

8. hrc_nick_11

True but I'm also allowed to shoot skeet in my property and if your shit gets hit so be it. (PS the unmanned drone not the Cessna, I'm not threatening people just shooting some skeet).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  9. Newsshooter

Wrong rules, FAA has rules that were recently released for commercial use of "Drones" that are under 55 lbs. Hobby use isn't the same either.

10. hrc_nick_11

So would the same rules apply when flown outside someone's bedroom window?

No all rules are subject to interpretation. But feel free to continue to beat a dead horse!

11. Newsshooter

You sound like the politician that recently had a neighbor lose a small quad in her backyard and now she wants to pass new laws against them. Even though there are already plenty of laws on the books to deal with privacy issues. How's the tinfoil hat?

12. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Even if it is legal drones at a track day seem to fall under the "just because you can doesn't mean you should" category.

13. hrc_nick_11

I'm just picturing some guy trying to explain the "law" to Mongo or Trevor while holding a fragile drone. While the mob of guys that just got red flagged looks on!

14. Sacko DougK

I kind of brought that up when I said that they may not allow you to operate from their land. As far as photography, if it outside and plainly visible there is not expectation of privacy. So, a satellite or aircraft flying overhead can take photography. Just as Google can take images of your home and put it on Google Earth. But, you could not market those images as official event images.

Realistically, depending on the grounds and if you had a robust ground station you could operate off of their property and fly over-head all day long. That is of course provided you could do so legally with the FAA. Just as you could rent a C-172 and fly over all day long.

15. hrc_nick_11

You guys really need to start reading the fine print on some of your event tickets.

Do it then see how it works out for you.

16. Sacko DougK

In you missed it, I am not an advocate of person use. Even in a commercial operation, I would not use a quad, hex, or octorotor on a hot track.

However, with a robust fixed winged system operated by a commercial operation. I think that wouldn't be any different than a fixed winged manned aircraft overhead taking photos.

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Quadcopters probably wont fly well in rotor wash from a .60 nitro heli.:D

18. Newsshooter

You also need to understand that some of us have some experience shooting "professional" events, like 25 years of pro football, baseball, basketball, nascar, ama and gp motorcycle racing. :D

I'm not necessarily saying we should be flying multicopters at motorcycle events. I'm also not saying it would be a bad thing if it were done with certain constraints and with the someone who has lots of experience. It's been shown to work at places like the olympics and X games. Are there risks? Certainly, can they be minimized, I believe they can, but there will always be some risk. Just like getting on a racetrack with 25 others trying to make turn one at the same time.

19. Newsshooter

I don't know, some of the big octos carrying RED video cameras are pretty powerful. That being said, I'd rather be hit by a quad than a large nitro heli.

20. hrc_nick_11

I'm pretty sure Mongo and Trevor are pros to, I'm also pretty sure you are not flying at their events. So what is your argument again?