AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Will kids (aka their parents) be able to put their own livery on these bikes or do they have to run a spec livery that comes on the bike?

2. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Spec with a small area for personal sponsors.

3. gpstar748

Pay to race series
    Minimal purse
    Yet have to run spec livery with no support to do so...

Makes sense....

I am being slightly sarcastic. From one end it will keep things looking professional but from the other...well I think it's self explanatory

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The self-explanatory part is moot. Sure, show sponsors, but these are kids. There aren't going to be "Factory X" sponsors in a spec class. The bigger picture is professionally branded bikes that push the class and series, not each individual rider. In turn, the class/series gets sponsors, get a bigger purse, trickles cost-savings down to the riders, etc. etc. You and I both know the sticker on a bike is a small part of the big picture anyway.

People should think more Red Bull Rookies Cup. Isn't that series ultimately a "pay to play" structure with minimal monetary "return", aside from getting your kid to race against other fast kids all the time - and ultimately land a bigger ride? What more return do parents ultimately want? If you're looking for legitimate ROI, send them to college.

I get that it's the first year and people like to nitpick. But for a moment, think about where things were just a year ago with the series. And where the potential is now. It might not be all that bad.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Hustling to get $3000 is a shit load easier than hustling to get $10K per round.

Think of the 390 class as the first sift screen to find that world class diamond.

6. wrlamkin

wrlamkin Well-Known Member

Isn't College based on cost as well? The smartest kid does not necessarily go to the best college, sometimes they do on scholarship, sometimes they go to the college they can afford. Everyone makes decisions based on their financial means and decisions. Racing is just part of the equation, housing, education, transportation all fit into that as well. Some will cut other parts of their life to race at a certain level, some will not, it is their choice.

I agree with Eddie, this is the best we have, much better than what we did have, lets support this however we can. Maybe it will be better next year with more corporate sponsorship, maybe not.

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I'm generalizing that college is a more feasible way at return on investment, than racing will likely ever be for most. Tongue in cheek to some extent.

BTW, how much was the Red Bull Rookies Cup going to be for Nolan, had he made it?

8. wrlamkin

wrlamkin Well-Known Member

I understand your point about college, I agree. I lived at home to go to college, I worked construction to pay for college, now my son can race.

$50K for the Rookies Cup, plus he would still have to race/ride somewhere else as well. The set up with the European riders without the travel is much cheaper. Most of them race in the CEV etc. as well.

I believe the intent of the article was to show that we have taken the first step like Europe, long term we need more corporate sponsorship to put riders on the world stage like Europe.

9. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I think that should put things well into perspective.

Agreed on the article. It's just difficult to argue the cost of the bikes, without factoring in the support structure present at the events - while at the same time comparing the series to the Red Bull Rookies cup, which is even more cost prohibitive.

10. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Will there be a purse? I've seen KTM contingency, but, wasn't sure if there will also be a purse.

11. gpstar748

I think a win gets you $500?

Look I'm not saying I'm not for the class. I think it's an amazing idea and has massive potential. Just giving some devils advocate food for thought...

Never be satisfied with the status quo

12. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Right...that's KTM contingency. Not sure if there has been any talk about a purse yet.

13. RRW reported today that Kyle Wyman will have RC390 Cup bikes for rent. One race up to the whole five round series. Anyone have experience renting race bikes? I understand Kyle is a stand up guy.

14. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I believe Tuna rented one for Indy. Kyle is on here too.

15. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

What's the OTD cost on a 390?

16. Chip

Chip Registered

I can confirm that he is a stand up guy and he corners low....

Shoot Kyle an email.... [email protected]

17. Chip

Chip Registered

Street bike MSRP - $5500

Cup Bike MSRP - $9999

18. Around 12k as I understand it if the dealer isn't gouging

19. MAZZ77X

MAZZ77X Well-Known Member

Where's the rule book already...........

20. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Yep. Kyle and crew were great to work with. Very helpful with everything from tire pressures, line help to riding the damn things(xr1200). I hope it works out. I wouldnt hesitate to lease from him again. He is more than accompanying. :up: