1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hog Hunting - Texas

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Me a and few coworkers are looking at an extended weekend of hog hunting. Anyone have any suggestions on a place they have been vs. just randomly calling one of these ranches online?

Thanks,

2. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

This is a bucket list item for me too................

3. Hyperdyne

I've heard good things about boar bacon, and truthfully I like pork more than most other meets.

So if I can help the fine state of TX with their piggy problem, and get some meat. I'm happy..

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dunno but I still want to try it from a helicopter.

969 likes this.
  5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I spend some time on Southeast Texas (Tyler, Lufkin, Beaumont). Pretty much any where along US59 or US69, you could probably stop at a restaurant and find a hunting guide.

BTW - those guys down there, the ones that I encountered did not use helicopters or firearms, they relied on dog for the chase and wear down, and for a knife for the kill.

I was invited several times but my schedule never coincided with the folks that I was working at the time since weekends are my travel days between field and office. Even entertaining a vegan diet, I would have considered, would still consider that type of kill/hunt.

6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid:

7. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Why am I thinking about Full Metal Jacket?

"you just dont lead 'em as much." :D

969 likes this.
  8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You guys mean jumping out of a helicopter and fighting that hog like men, right? :D

SpeedyE and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Not the hoggin I thought we would be discussing.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I was thinking Blackhawk Down,

"who's hungry?!?"

:up:

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Women!

At least when I was considering it, it was a knife fight. Although, in fairness the concept is not far removed from a matador. The dogs are utilized to tire the hog. And, takes away from a real one-on-one confrontation.

When I was in the Army Reserves, I was assigned to recovery vehicles, either track or wheel. Our training grounds were in Central FL, there is a significant population of hogs. I never pitched a tent. My recovery buddy and I always slept on to of the recovery vehicle, hood, top of cab, on the boom itself. Anything but find ourselves with a hog inside our tent. :D

12. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

13. Hyperdyne

We plan to stick with TX for logistics. My brother and another guy are in Dallas.

Plus, the rules for ferel hogs are easy. Bring whatever weapon you want (save for poison) and it's a 24/7 free-for-all on Pumba. It's $43 for a 5 day special hunt license.

Right now I'm thinking:

Colt AR 15 in .223
    12 Guage w/rifled slug barrel (Just in case something happens with the AR)
    .17HMR (I want a couple of piglets for the smoker and rotisserie)
    9mm (Sidearm just in case)

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I had a buddy that shot a good sized one with a .223. It just pissed off the hawg which ran him up a tree and kept him there.

Don't piss off the pigs, they're mean.

15. Hyperdyne

They aren't slow either.

16. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

$43 for a 5 day license is a good deal, but does that include your lodging, meals, guide? Just asking because I am planning a hunt for my buddy's bachelor party and this is one of the ideas I am kicking around...yes you can do it on the cheap but you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't go with anything under .243. I am looking at building an AR platform for hog hunting in 7.62 (.308). They are mean and nasty, I shot one in North Carolina with my Glock 9mm and it just pissed him off, that's why you hunt from a treestand unless you have dogs.

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'd want more than a .223 for a decent sized hog. That will just piss off a big one.

18. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I always just used a piece of corn tied to a string and drug it down the hallway of the motel I was staying at. :D

Captain Morgan and MachineR1 like this.
  19. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

I'm pretty sure he means that is just the license fee for the state.

20. Hyperdyne

Again, logistics. 2 of the guys live down in TX and already have land approved to hunt on.

We aren't looking for prize size hogs. The big nasty males aren't really that best to eat. The young sows are really what we're after. We plan to take my trailer and several large coolers to bring the meat back.

I have a hard time killing something on not going to eat. But I also understand the hog population down there is out of control.