Add me to the list of the newest Obamacare "successes"

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by jkhonea, Oct 14, 2014.

1. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I'm curious, what are your deductibles and co-pays?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Im less than 30 days into my "new" plan... already hit the $5k deductible. Still have another 11 months left to pay for it. Also using a "new" credit card to keep my expenditures in 1 place.
    Hopefully the Hospital will not drag their feet on billing.

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

At this point, my health insurance is about to equal or exceed my mortgage on my home. No exaggeration. I have a $768 mortgage. So in what world does it make a bit of damned sense where insurance and the mortgage on a house should be equal or even possibly the insurance costing more? I mean just damn!

4. kangasj

kangasj Banned

5K in 30 days and you hit your deductible. Man, your insurance sucks. My deductible is $300.00. What do you have, Ebola? I am the Czar so I need to know..

5. TurboBlew

Wasn't planned but I had a small crash that broke my left collarbone, some ribs, and the scapula. 4 days in an ICU, surgery, and imaging will clobber my $4,800 deductable pretty easy. My normal meds/supplies are ~$600/month.
    All that costs $325/month.

6. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Actually it's (5000.00/12)+325=742.00 :p

Normal meds/supplies are $600.00/month? How old are you?

7. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

That's our situation as well, cept it costs more than $500. It is amazing the differences. Pettit obviously has an employer who is footing the bill. We used to have that situation (Fortune 250 company), but they changed their minds when the ACA was enacted. Apparently they saw the ACA as a way out. Recently, the company announced that they are going to blow $10 million a year on "green public relations initiatives". Well its their coin.

8. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I think there is a 2500$ deductible but not certain. The company gives us a HSA with 2500$ already in it to cover deductibles. I don't know about co pays. I've only used it for the occasional dirtbike boo boo ER visit in the past 10 yrs. No co pay for dental check ups though.

I work for a german company of about 1000 employees worldwide. We have about 50 in the U.S. division.

www.flottweg.com

were hiring skilled shop techs in NKY if anyone is looking.

9. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Man, even $2500.00 sure seems high. One time in my life I had more than that in medical expenses in one year... I'm 52. That would mean I would have been paying for health insurance for 29 of 30 years without getting any benefit from it. Oh well...

10. TurboBlew

44 & a type 1. So any coverage that is out of pocket is kind of a losing prop for me and any hospitalization will put me in ICU regardless. :down:

11. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Im not sure how someone comes on here and proclaims everyone else must be an idiot because their company provides a decent health plan but doesn't even know what their deductible is or if they have a copay. So for all you really know you deductible is 5K and you have a 20 percent copay. But hey, we're the dumbasses here.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Where did he say anything about people being idiots? :confused:

13. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Just came across as condescending to me. Like anyone who ends up with a ridiculous premium must not be as smart as him.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It's his body of work that gives that appearance. :D

15. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

There's your benefit. A company to work through on insurance. I'm self employed although I have also seen many people losing insurance within the companies that they work for or dramatic increased.

16. cpettit

Sorry I didn't feel like typing out my whole insurance plan for you.

We have $2500 ded, after that anthem pays 90%. No co-pay. Most decent companies will take care of their employees like that. I guess if you are self employed you are SOL, which is bullshit. It shouldn't be like that.

17. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

It's ok, according to the White House you may have to "seek alternatives" next year to get cheaper healthcare coverages. In other words, the free market. :crackup::crackup:

18. cpettit

I'm pretty sure as long as I work for this company i'll be just fine. Any company worth a shit offers some level of coverage. I am going to look on the govt website just for fun and see what it would cost.

19. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

That comment was directed more so at the ones who went to Obamacare for their cheap and free healthcare. If this White House is saying "some" will get cheaper insurance on the free market, you can damn well bet that means most. So much for their grand scheme.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I was discussing the ACA and costs elsewhere, and was referred to a Humana site where a person claimed he was getting Platinum coverage, $250 month, no co-pay and no deductible with an income of 90K and coverage for one person (in Travis County, TX).
    I went to the site and plugged in the numbers, and it was correct. However, it also gave the same price for 8 people covered. That makes no sense.
    I don't know what's going on there. The site said no subsidy was involved.