Going to Hell....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Britt, Oct 3, 2014.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

Jesus! so now Jesus is minutia?

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Yes.

3. charles

charles The Transporter

Are we talking about the same Jesus? There was that 'other' bowling alley Jesus in The Big Lebowski.

4. In Your Corner

5. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

That is not Jesus. That is Mario. I know because we all know each other.:Poke:

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Where am I being religious? I asked a fair question, stemming from the original assertion that it is mathematically more likely that there is no god vs. Christianity being true.

Is it a religion to not believe in Islam?

7. MicahSa15

MicahSa15 Well-Known Member

If to not believe in a religion is itself a religion then we are all believers in an infinite number of religions as there are an infinite number of things not to believe. This of course makes it impossible for every Christian to adhere to the "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" business.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

:crackup: :crackup:

9. charles

charles The Transporter

Not to nitpick, but perhaps you would offer a definition of 'religion.' do you mean the organized type?

10. Knotcher

In his case, it implies all types of belief, including ones that haven't been believed by anyone yet.

11. MicahSa15

Anything that call for metaphysics. Anything like gods or ghosts, magical sky peopl or things that reside outside the physical.

12. charles

charles The Transporter

Okay. Well then, so religion does not encompass any type of belief system in physical things?

13. Knotcher

It does not encompass falsifiable beliefs. Religion is the belief in the unfalsifiable.

14. MicahSa15

On the periphery but let's not get bogged down in technicalities. Any god is a metaphysical construct and all of the important aspects of prophets like jesus are metaphysical traits in that turning water into wine requires the suspension of the laws of physics.

So in any meaningful way no religion does not encompass the belief in physical things.

15. In Your Corner

Not believing isn't a religion. Feeling the need to make others not believe is the religion. It's proselytising.

And I can see you invest a lot of time proselytising. Got all the arguments down to show your superiority.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  16. Knotcher

Then all discussions that are an attempt to exchange or modify ideas are proselytizing.

Also, a religion implies a set of doctrines and activities associated with a belief. I would never try to convince someone that there is no god. I would try to convince them that making decisions or making it operative through some practice is a waste of time, or worse.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  17. In Your Corner

Not when talking religion.
    But I appreciate the relentlessness of the quest to show the believers that they must be wrong. It makes for assholes of the highest order.

18. charles

charles The Transporter

Gentlemen, gentlemen, we can't fight in here, this is the War Room!

I keep asking- and i've done this for decades- for a description of God. It doesn't matter to me what people say in response. But the strange thing is that I get few responses! I have the distinct feeling that many people conceive of a 'Big Head' in the sky somewhere, i.e., an actual physical being, and don't want to articulate that thought.

19. Knotcher

I made a statement about mathematics and was challenged to "show my work". If the discussion angers you, don't partake.

I'm not saying that believers "must be wrong". I'm saying that there is zero evidence that they are correct. The fact that the distinction escapes you may be illustrative of how deep seated the delusion of religion has become.

20. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I'm not gonna give the secret away just yet... :D