Going from a big bike to a little bike...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Who here has went from regularly racing a 1000/750/600 down to racing something 400cc and under? If so, how did you like it?

Somebody mentioned getting a KTM 390 "to slow down". It got me to thinking how sometimes it is fun racing stuff that isnt going all that fast. Like when we go to Pigeon Forge and "race" the go-karts. They aren't fast at all, but they are all the same speed (relatively) and it is all about line choice, corner speed, setting up passes, etc. There is a whole lot of concentration to devote to the craft of racing because you aren't going fast.

I have no intentions of getting rid of any of my current bikes because i like big bikes, like to go fast, love power wheelies and all of that kind of shit. But i am wondering if it would be fun to pick up a small bike and experience that type of racing.

This is not a discussion on grooming kids for MotoGP, 2-strokes vs 4-strokes or any of the other kind of bullshit that usually comes up in these threads. I am simply wondering about the enjoyment level for grown ass men racing smaller bikes.

And BTW - im not talking about an SV, they are still "big" and too close to a 600 in speed and lap times to fit the purpose im talking about. Im talking about racing something that is drastically different, like a 250 or 300.

2. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I will smoke you on some Pigeon Forge go karts. Just throwing that out there.

3. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

If you're gonna go small, go really small

CRF100 FTW!

[​IMG]

4. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

How much for a wheelset like that?

5. No.

6. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

A bit pricey if you consider they are going on a 100 but not terrible. Figure brand new, unassembled, around $500-600.

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I went from 600 to 250... its a lot more fun for me.

8. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I think that answer lies in whatever class you have the most guys to race against. Some of the most fun I've had has been on little CRF50's we raced indoors on a kart track. Other fun was banging bars on XR100's.

9. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

"Grown ass man" here, racing an EX500. I realize it's a little bigger than you specified in your original post, but it fits right in with the FZR400s and like. I find it to be just right, fast enough to keep it interesting, yet small enough to throw around and be easy on tires.

The tighter the track, the more fun it is on a small bike. I don't think an XR100 would be fun at Summit, hell it takes all day to get an EX down that front straight!

10. FWIW im about 210lbs. Would that be a factor racing little bikes?

11. That is what i was thinking. As far as riding the bike goes, i love big fast bikes. Like, I dont think i would enjoy burning laps on an open track on a 250. At least not as much as i do on the RSV4.

But if i am out there with 30 other 250's, all of which have about the same HP, that seems like it would be fun as shit. :clap:

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I'm 205 and have raced an RZ350, RD400, FZR400 and MZ Skorpion. I love the little bikes! I used my CBR900 when I had to re-up my license and it freaked me out. I'll stick with having a blast on a little bike. And as an added bonus, one set of tires lasts me a season.

13. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

Nice Crf.. I have been looking to buy one. Haven't been able to find much though.

14. I have an XR100 now, but it is still setup for dirty riding.

15. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Chris,
    Have you ever raced on a kart track, with smaller bikes? I'm guessing a bit, but an NSR50 probably feels like a Ninja 250/300 on a big track. They have classes out here for Honda 150's in Supermoto or Road race chassis and then some tracks also run a open Supermoto class, if you feel the need for speed.

It is fun and good training, but actually more busy, as you are constantly hard on the brakes and gas.

16. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Crf100 on kart tracks all day man. I love the little bikes. But understand, the little bikes can and do bite.

17. It sounds like fun, but no, I have never done any of that.

First bike was a Gixxer 600, learned how to ride, rode the street for a few months, did some track days, started racing. No dirt experience, mini bike experience or ridden anything else with 2 wheels. Ive never even sat on anything smaller than a 600cc Sportbike.

18. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

Hey Chris,

If you put an XR80 front wheel on your 100 you can run Bridgestone BT45's front and rear. We race all the time out at Herrin's, come out and play!

19. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

Been trying to get him to herrins. Or even Herman's

Chris the sv is pretty damn small (slow)feeling when you are used to 600+

And the chassis makes it feel like a giant xr100 lol. Kinda floppy but fun

I have not gotten to do the 250thing yet but will one day. Knowing you though you either will want to go like xr100 or crf150r and to to mini tracks or if still on full size tracks you won't like less than a 650 I bet

20. I could try an SV. It would be something different and would let me race in more classes. But i dont know anything about them. From reading on here i know there are different generations. But i dont know which one is better or what to look for or any of that shit.

And they dont even make them anymore do they? So id have to get a used one?