Northern half of Georgia wintry weather possible

Discussion in 'General' started by jkhonea, Feb 9, 2014.

1. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

How much fuel does your genset use? IIRC my EU3k uses 5 gallons or so per day.

2. its raining ice here too and it's only suppose to get worse. i just got up to do the same and everything is covered in ice. we're going to lose power for sure.

after the last time i didn't think this would happen AGAIN so soon so i didn't buy a generator. i regret it now.

oh well our fireplace works just fine.

3. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

this weather blows.. lol..

4. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

to be honest, i have no idea. LoL

Its one of those contractor Coleman genset's, 6500W. Ive never used it for any long length of time. gal/hour i have no clue. I backfeed my panel thru a 30 amp 2 pole breaker (kill the main), and my gas heat stays on, fridge stays on, can run a couple of lights in the house, TV and internet. Thats a pretty decent load on the genny, so i guess if the power goes out, we'll see. :)

Power is still on here, altho im hearing over 50,000 Ga. Power customers are out right now, and that doesnt include the EMC customers. (we're on snapping shoals EMC here.)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I could use a setup like that. :up: Our power goes off in good weather all the time. I think my neighbor had something similar to that installed recently.

6. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I need to figure out how to wire my house up like that Todd, is it difficult?

7. can't you back feed your house by just plugging into any outlet and turning off the main breaker to the pole? i figured that was the dirty/quick way to do it.

8. dickie doo

dickie doo Well-Known Member

You can, but like you said the main has to be off of you could kill a lineman, or blow your genny up when power comes back on.

I do it this way, but it's not ideal since you're really only able to get 110 into the house. Todd has the idea set up, and I may hack a 220 cable (from my boat days) to work from the genny to the dryer plug.

The trick is working turning off all the breakers (obviously the main), and then turning on the necessities one at a time to test the load you're putting on your genny. You'll also need to unplug all the silly BS that's currently plugged in at your house (alarm cocks, un used TVs, stereo, etc)... if you want max performance. :up:

9. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

That circuit you're plugging your generator into would need to be able to handle the entire current draw of your house. I don't think that circuit exists in a home. I think you'd have to wire in between the main breaker and pole. But I'm a big dummy with residential wiring.

10. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I've heard of going to the dryer 220 connection, but my dryer is upstairs so thats not really an option lol!

I would want a breaker box like Todd described. Flip 1 lever, flip the other, plug the gen in, start it .... profit? :p

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

85k without power now. I had one of those power inlet boxes installed along with a subpanel and a switch panel, I can switch power sources for 6 circuits from utility power to the inlet box.

Like this:

[​IMG]

12. 418

418 Expert #59

I just wire mine in when I need to, though I really need to install a plug. Just make sure to kill the main.

13. any WERA people who don't have power and can venture on over this way. i still have power (for now) and you're more than welcome to come on over. we have ton's of food. spare bed upstairs if you need a warm place to crash. i'll keep this post updated if we lose power. if it's still up we still have power.

14. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

100k without power now. Crazy.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Ours went off, came back on. I hear transformers blowing so no telling how long it will last. We have gas logs and hot water. Gas cooktop. All my rechargeable devices are charges and the battery packs are as well. I haven't seen this much sleet since the mid 80's back in Raleigh.

16. Another good reason to get a Toy Hauler or RV. If shits bad in the house, you can go out in the driveway and live in it.

17. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Yeah, that's top's on my list for why to get a TH. :Poke:

:D

18. My dad has a kickass setup. After Katrina, he spent like $16-17k on this big ass generator and hardwiring it in. It is hardpiped into a huge propane tank. It can power the whole house and can swap/take over so fast that the clocks wont even mess up.

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

We got about 8" total.

Attached Files:

20. Haha. I was just sayin. :D

When we have some shit added on to the house, we will stay in the TH while it's being done.