1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Helmet time

Discussion in 'General' started by mgmark, Aug 25, 2013.

1. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

If the ARAI Profile fits you well, you have what ARAI calls a "Medium Oval" head shape. I have the same.

Here's what I have found fits my head shape:

-ARAI Profile (duh)
    -ARAI RX-Q (new design, slight change to the "Medium Oval" shape, better shield change system)
    -NEXX XR1-R Carbon (full carbon fiber), XR1-R Blade (carbon composite), XR1-R Champion (carbon/composite)

I have at least two of each of the above helmets, love them all for their own little things. The ARAI is noisier than the NEXX, the ARAI has better ventilation, (those two facts probably go together, as air movement IS noise.) I really like the lighter weight of the NEXX XR1-R Carbon for reduced fatigue. I have an old cervical spine injury and the light weight makes a difference eight hours into a 15-hour ride.

What DOESN'T fit my head shape:

-Any Shoei helmet. I guess Shoei has different ideas on what head shapes people have.
    Any Scorpion helmet. I have three of them, and like a lot of their features, but they just do not fit me right.

-That's about as far as I have researched it, hope that info is helpful to you.

2. Chip

Chip Registered

The AGV Pista is to die for....expensive, but a very nice race lid. Should a available next month..

3. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I have a Signet/Profile shape head as well, so i always stuck to that model.

I did once borrow a top-end Sumoy once, and that fit surprisingly well. Don't like their graphics, but it was a very well made lid.

4. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

5. Vstate60

Vstate60 Jaspon&Armas, PA

It's official. That P1 Retro is my next lid. Thank you.

6. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I was just going to post this. Damn that helmet was bad ass! The fiberglass version would be what I would be getting. The customizable fit was very cool plus it seemed like you were getting a helmet made just for you with all the crap it does.

7. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

Kabuto (AKA: OGK) they make a great helmet. And I am happy to see them making a comeback in the US!!

http://www.kabutousa.com/

I have 3 FF4 helmets and an Arai RX7RR and love them both. I retired my Arai sadly but the FF4 feels more stable at speed and fits similar to Arai with similar quality and finish!

8. J Bart

J Bart Fat Kid Track Days

X-Lite 802........

9. Doug113

Doug113 Well-Known Member

I need to replace my Arai Vector Phil Read. The helmet that fits my oval head best so far is the Arai Signet-Q, but I'm not too excited on shelling out over $600 on one. I've read a lot of good things about the Bell RS-1 and Star helmets. I would love to try both the Arai Signet-Q and both Bells on back to back to see which I like better, but can't find anyone near me that carries the Bell. Can anyone comment on the fitment between the Signet-Q, RS-1, and the Star? Or any other options that fit like the Signet-Q?

10. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

I have 3 Bell Stars. Landed directly on my head at 70mph with no issues. I would absolutely recommend.

11. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Well I decided on another Arai. The Signet Q fits my particular shaped head best, and the Arai quality can't be faulted, and has a bunch of new safety features over my previous one. I met with the folks at the Service Pavillion while at the Barber vintage festival, who did an outstanding job of fitting me up so I was ready for the GNF. You can't beat their customer service.
    Race ready for next year! :up:

12. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

how do you find out what helmets "fit", other than trying them on if you can find a actual store these days.

13. mb17

mb17 Broughton859

For everyone with a more oval head shape you shape should try HJC's FG-17. Sub 200, Snell rated, fiberglass, and a max vision pinlock lens like the Arai's. Unfortunately I'm to intermediate oval for it

14. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

bellstar carbon

15. Check out the Bell Helmets from STG. I have worn Shoei and Arai and after wearing the Bell, i won't wear anything else.

I have to admit they are louder than some of the others, but that is because the ventilation is kickass. And they are by far the most comfortable. It feels like im sliding a pillow over my head.

16. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Decided to splurge on my new lid, my rps-10 just couldn't flow the air and after a season will make a great backup. I tried on the x-12, corsair V, and race-r pro, ended up with the shark after going back and forth between the three for about an hour. Amazing helmet after you remove the chin curtain/bottom padding around the helmet which does nothing but block wind to make the helmet quiet and makes it feel like your breathing nothing but your own hot breath :Puke:. It's priced right with the shoei/arai and fit my melon just a bit better.

17. meowculpa

meowculpa Well-Known Member

I visited the international MC show a few years ago and they had several helmet manufactures with display booths . tried a bunch of lids with help from respective salesmen and settled on the option.
    universally, they recommended helmet sizes a couple below what I was used to wearing. :crackup: jokes apart, this is your best bet if you don't have a good shop around.

18. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Here are the results from the SHARP Tests on the NEXX, look at the side impact rating...

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/nexx-xr1r

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  19. hdrk2006

hdrk2006 Well-Known Member

I've got a carbon star, someone suggested covering the vents behind the ears. Much quieter now! :up:

20. Doug113

Doug113 Well-Known Member

That is a great idea, and there happens to be one in Atlanta in the very near future. Hopefully they will have a good variety of lids to try on. It would be nice to try them on back to back to see which one fits the best.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013