1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ben Spies to choose....

Discussion in 'General' started by tzrider, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I don't want any of the former riders anywhere near our bike. New blood only. The sort with a last name like Espargaro. Crutchlow too should be disgusted enough with Ducati by then to make the switch. :D

2. Silo Pete

Silo Pete We have ignition.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

One of these days Hopper is gonna have a crash that is going to cause him to spontaneously combust on impact.

4. caferace

caferace No.

5. BURGIO

BURGIO Well-Known Member

Saw this last night after work. Wonder what he's gonna do now.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Maybe he'll buy DMG?

7. BURGIO

BURGIO Well-Known Member

Wouldnt that be nice

8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

This just in....Spies names Mladin Race Director of newly purchased DMG!:D

9. BURGIO

BURGIO Well-Known Member

10. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Dude,the ducati is in a different leauge of shit compared to the suzukis. Last 2 years they had alvaro on it and he had 8 top 10 finishes on it 2010 againt a full field of prototypes

11. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

I'm bumbed...

12. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Wrecking Bau did well on it. He's a good rider, too. If Suzuki spends the money they can compete with Yamaha and Honda. IF they spend the money, no on the cheap shit like they tried before.

Does anyone else think The Ben took one look at Hopper and said "No thanks!"?

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I think that The Ben evaluated his shoulder(s) and knew they would not be ready for 2014. Or he looked at the "open" class Ducati and the sucati superbike and decided to take 2014 off, call it a retirement and get everything fixed for 2015.

But I don't know, he didn't ask or tell me anything but I think he's being smart.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think The Ben is finished with racing motorcycles.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The Ben will never be finished racing motorcycles. Maybe professionally tho.

On the Ducati thing - the article/interview Jim linked to has him saying they wanted him in WSB and he was willing to go, even looking forward to it. Wouldn't surprise me, he really had a blast in that paddock.

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Which further leads me to think there were politics involved, not just his ailing shoulder.

17. RevRacing

RevRacing Well-Known Member

See, I find this interesting. Dude is apparenty never on a bike with a motor unless he has to be.

Maybe its not that simple, but I just don't see racing mc to be a big priority. Hope I'm wrong though.

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

There is some validity to this I'd say. Unlike a lot of other riders that really do seem to love motorcycling more, in their downtime you'll see them doing other stuff like supermoto, motocross, flat-track, etc etc.

Spies in his downtime only seem to like, as the English and Aussies like to say "pushbikes".

19. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I remember reading that in an interview or article somewhere. I remember that it stuck out that he didn't touch a motorcycle from the last race of the season till the first test of the following season. If that's true, really made his speed on a bike that much more impressive. Shame he's going out with an injury, Fogarty had to do the exact same thing because of his shoulder.

20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

My guess?

Two chicks at the same time. (metaphorically, if not literally.) The guy has worked his ass for for the last 10+ years. He's 29, and has had a full-time job with potentially deadly consequences since he was a damn teenager.

I hope he goes fucking frat-boy party crazy for a few months, then realizes that he's bored, and comes back to racing on his own terms, with nothing to prove, and no pressure.

Getting back in racing shape will take a little time, but even a great body is only at its best with a sharp mind to guide it.