1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deer Rifle Question

Discussion in 'General' started by jp636, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Jed

Jed mellifluous

2. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

It's got one too many zeros at the end of that price tag....

3. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Don't be afraid to go with a Stevens. My 22-250 coyote gun is a 200, and shoots really well. The Stevens are basically the older Savage. I did my own trigger job(nice clean 3lb pull), and extended the bolt handle. The only shortcoming of the rifle I would say is that the stock is a big on the light duty side. I ended up filling mine with some epoxy to give it a little weight and stiffness. Long term is either a nice stock or a .243 AR.

Savage/Stevens is as far as I'd look for a low priced gun.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

4. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Huge +1 on Stevens 200. Beauty is that all the aftermarket savage bits bolt right up to the Steven 200. From triggers to barrels.

I'd have gone with a Stevens 200 if they had it locally in 223, ended up with a Marlin XS7. Not gonna lie, its a cheap gun but it shoots sub moa at 100 yards with my reloads....

5. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

Best bang for buck....Tikka. I like the 7mm-08 myself

Newsshooter likes this.
  6. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Awesome round. I have a Lone Eagle in 7mm-08 and would likely buy a rifle in it if I was to rifle hunt for deer. Just not as common/easy to find as .270 or .308(though it's not an uncommon round either).

7. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Do the Savage and Stevens use the same stock?

8. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

No, but the more imp q is if the actions are the same and the answer is yes. So the stocks are interchangeable as well as aftermarket stuff fits on as we'll

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My brush gun is one you've probably never heard of....A pump action 25-20 with iron sights. If you kick out a deer in the brush where I live you'll never get time to line him up in a scope. It was my grandfather's, it's got an octagon barrel and is a little heavy for what it is. Remington if I remember correctly, been 10 years since I had it out of it's case.

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

jp636, as you have seen there are as many opinions as there are elbows on this subject and just about every one of them are solid suggestions. I'm very far from being an expert on rifles however, having owned several for many years one of the best calibers out there for our kind of domestic hunting is a .270. I've seen several articles in The American Rifleman magazine suggesting that very same thing.

It's not so big that it tears up a small Texas size white tail yet has the ballistics to bring down an elk with a well placed shot. It also works well on hogs, and a big plus, the ammunition is plentiful and relatively inexpensive. As someone else has already suggested, it's a nice flat shooting caliber that gets the job done.

Another .02 cents worth.

(with all these .02 cents worth pretty soon you'll have enough money to buy whatever you want.):up:

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've seen pump 30-30 but not that caliber. Round nose ammo I'm guessing.

12. B. Myers

B. Myers Well-Known Member

I shot .270 for years...awesome gun and anchors them well using 150 gr Core-Lock.

Switched last year to the .35 Whelen...mainly for thicker brush, bear gun...and just cause. Haven't shot a deer with it yet, but it's a nice tack driver at 100 yds with 2-7 scope and conservative hand loads..

13. Derick

Derick Well-Known Member

I use a .270 Tikka T3 lite with Remington Scirocco 130grain cartridge. No issues dropping deer at 400+ yards.

14. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

I have used my .270 for deer AND elk since I was a kid. Love that dang rifle. I get dirt, snow, blood, etc all over it and it shoots perfect every time. No jams and ammo is plentiful and inexpensive. When I have made a good shot, this caliber has ZERO problems taking down game, big or small.

15. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Found a Savage .270 scope combo at Dick's for $299. Looks like that's the route imma take. He also said they get their ammo in on Fridays and there's usually a line going around the building before the store opens. He's going to hide a brick of .22 for me to get later. I'd a never thought Dick's woulda been the least expensive route.

Thanks for all the advice.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I'd have a hard time spending my money at a place that bans guns to look good in the media (Dicks).

17. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Hey! Don't throw my thread in the dungeon! :D
    If Dick's CEO wants to eff his company, so be it. I'll buy my AR somewhere else...

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

:stupid:

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Dick's, Big 5, Cheaperthandirt and lots of others pulled guns off the shelves and websites.

20. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Browning BLR in .358