1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GNF Endurance Proposal... (for those that don't ever visit the Endurance Forum)

Discussion in 'General' started by couch, Sep 16, 2013.

1. K Kling

K Kling Well-Known Member

You are wrong. Plain and simple. There is already a 4hr endurance on the schedule, with paid 1/2 day practice in the morning. The additional endurance fee (for the longer event) should offset the paid practice revenue, especially if more teams enter.

They would have to cancel the practice, but if marketed correctly that would allow people to enter the endurance to get even more seat time that the rotating practice schedule would allow. Encourage them to enter the trophy class. Make a separate class that is cheaper for solo riders to use their own machines. There are format possibilities that would make it work for a lot more people, and would have the added benefit of getting more people a taste of endurance racing. Help people get excited to work as a team, think about strategy, demand more endurance from themselves.

Endurance racing is awesome. When people get involved, they typically love it. WERA Endurance was once a great series, and it can be again....

2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Just emailed ya. If that works, Ill make a new post.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You are wrong.

All the marketing in the world will not get enough teams to offset the lost income. Never has and there is no way in hell it will now with costs being even higher for tires and the like.

You and Jon both seem to think there is some magical method of marketing that will draw teams. It doesn't exist - and yes, we've tried every single one of them in the past. Most didn't work even in the best of economies.

Purse money does not increase the grid size. BTDT. Repeatedly. Actually that isn't totally correct, if we could get a sponsor to the tune of 30k or more per event we could offer enough purse to truly draw teams.

I have a question - Why is it you keep talking about how you don't have the experience of running a racing organization at the same time you're telling us how we're doing things wrong and you know how to do them better?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll get it to the boss and let you know.

5. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I agree endurance is awesome. I was supposed to run with Randy this year but couldn't due to work restrictions.

But Sorry Kerry. I'm not wrong. I am going off of previous experience with the Endurance being ran at the GNF. There was practice and sprints. An 8 hour at Barber would comprise of Morning practice and 8 hour of endurance. That's it for the day. Pony up more money for WERA to run the TOBC endurance round and I'm sure they will make a day for the endurance to run.

http://www.mylaps.com/en/events/731164

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

K81-R's were the tits!
    :D

7. The races are several hours long and the track makes a complete circle, they will have several opportunities to punt you as they go by. :D

8. K Kling

That comment is pure sarcasm based on you always throwing that out there to tell people they are wrong. Over and over and over.... :crackup:

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

From a standerby that operates a business, I sure hope you don't think you've done everything that can be done from a marketing standpoint, and that there's nothing left to try.

I'm sure you're frustrated with the current state of affairs, but there's always "something" that can be done. You just have to figure out what it is. You guys are great at running a race org. Doesn't mean you're great business people and marketing geniuses. As always, I'm rooting for you guys!!!

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

<raises hand frantically>
    Ooh, ooh, me, me!
    Because he doesn't really believe experience is needed to fix something so obvious is simple. It's sarcasm! :D

Not to get into y'all's fight, but I would like to point out one thing to KKling that might help put things in perspective: the world endurance championship has dwindled to five events. A few select major events could probably survive on their own because of their history. But as a championship, it's not much of a draw. I think it's amazing that you can even have a domestic championship. As much fun as endurance is for participants, I don't think you are going to create a huge amount of interest in a championship. Just my opinion.

11. couch

couch Well-Known Member

Magic! I hadn't considered that... High level double header magic... Lets try.

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Good point. Damn it. Looks like I'll have to beef up again for cushion. :D

13. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Ok that was funny lol..

:crackup:

14. :crackup:

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's not to tell people they are wrong - it's to explain to people who listen to those of you constantly telling us we're wrong and how we should do things what our experience is.

It's interesting, I'm pretty sure I have yet to ever show up to your job and tell you how to do it, yet you seem to think you know mine. I just don't get that.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No I don't think we've done everything possible out there and there are things we absolutely need to implement, I'll be working on a couple this week. However, all of the suggestions posted here have been tried - especially the purse money thing being talked about as if it's the holy grail - and they don't work. There are things I'm sure can be done, but I haven't seen any suggestions, just posts saying we're doing it wrong and how much better it could be to "market better".

FWIW I freely admit we suck at marketing overall. But I do feel we do the best we can with what we have (what we have being money/time).

17. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Well said Kris.

18. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

He's a customer. Or a potential customer. And he's providing feedback.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I'm in.

Since I now have this weekend off I'll reread all of the Harry Potter books and seen what I can figure out :D

20. K Kling

I have never said that I know your job, but I have provided suggestions that I think will help, both on this forum and face to face, yet have been met with a condescending know-it-all attitude. Of course, I will give you credit for not having that attitude face to face, but you certainly come across that way here.

There are a lot of people here that are huge supporters of WERA, myself included, that sincerely try to help promote WERA and improve the grid sizes. After a few years of seeing the WERA grids dwindle, races cancelled, and championships shortened, people are genuinely concerned. I am concerned. Especially seeing the growth of competing organizations. The fact is that the marketing tactics that worked when the economy was good will not necessarily work when it is bad. New tactics will need to be implemented for the hemorrhaging to stop and growth to take hold.