AMA Pro from Laguna on TV?

Discussion in 'General' started by eggfooyoung, Jul 15, 2013.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

At the end of the Mid-O broadcast, CBS put up a programming note that the next race to air would be Miller. Is Laguna being shown anywhere? I looked through the channel guide and didn't see anything.

2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

No the TV talent was told they won't be working at Laguna. What a nice last minute surprise for the AMA pro paddock! Excellent communication on the part of the sanctioning body! Story was posted on Roadracing World last week, Thursday or Friday I think.

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Wait, So I paid extra money a month for a tv package to be able to watch the ama guys and now I wont be able to see the Laguna race?

4. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

So is the laguna race being shown anywhere?

5. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

DMG is waiting for $2k from WERA to pay CBS to air it.

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:crackup:

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

My guess would be that Fox Sports has the rights to broadcast the MotoGP stuff and their equipment will be used to do so at Laguna. So Fox doesn't want to allow CBS to use that same equipment to do a broadcast. And then there isn't room to have two sets of production equipment where it is needed so CBS looses.

8. Chip

Chip Registered

It's Dorna's TV equipment...

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes. Dozens of broadcasting companies use that feed. I'd bet it has more to do with CBS not having the connection with Dorna or with Dorna not wanting their camera's used on the AMA race.

How'd they do it when they did them before, all on Speed?

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

If its true its pretty damned Lame.... But hey I will be at Lake Norman that weekend anyhow,,, Good timing...

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

When I worked the GP in 2007 the camera in my corner said "Fox" on it. So did Dorna buy Fox?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They hired the people shooting - that makes those people and the footage from the event Dornas. Chip obviously didn't mean Dorna owns all the equipment and ships it around the world.

13. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

So...In this case, who would supply the video feed the AMA teams use to monitor the races from the pits? The track's CCTV?

14. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's not physically their equipment, necessarily, Chet has supplied production resources and contracted the sat truck, etc. in the past. The supplied broadcast is, however, Dorna's property.

15. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

This is a crappy deal. Somehow I bet Fox is at least partially to blame. If they own the rights either use them or sell them to CBS.

Rant over.

16. caferace

caferace No.

Dorna actually ships a shitload of TV equipment around the world. What rest is needed is supplemented by local firms. Somewhere at a average 75/25% ratio.

-jim

17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

One of the camera operators at Indy in 2008 would grab a bite to eat at the concession stand near where my seat was between practice sessions and races, he was Spanish and worked for Dorna.

18. caferace

caferace No.

Back in the early 2000's I would work as a spotter for Chet Burks at WSBK and MotoGP at Laguna. Burks had most of the equipment then. Not as much now, and I've expanded the geographical range of races I attend quite a bit since.

-jim

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

When I was working turn 4 in 2007 we got into a fight with one of Dorna's camera people...he was with a portable camera. He wanted to go stand in front of the air fence in the middle of the race to shoot some footage and we wouldn't let him.

Then the Fox guy on the camera stand got involved...its interesting to watch the recording because you can tell exactly when the camera guy wasn't doing his job so they had to skip turn 4. :D

And no...I didn't get involved...I did my job and ignored the BS.

20. racing+life

racing+life Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter whose equipment it is or who has the rights to it. AMA Pro needed to fix the problem, every business gets a monkey wrench thrown at them, good businesses fix the problem and this needed to be fixed.