1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Melisa Paris fails her DMV Motorcycle test

Discussion in 'General' started by forceten, Jan 3, 2013.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I asked several times "HOW MANY POINTS DO I HAVE LEFT???" :D

2. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Yup, cept, I did mine on a EX 250....:D

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I had to do the stop test three times because I was braking exactly on the line. Dude swore I was missing it so I finally sandbagged and braked early rather than argue with the old fart.

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

My son failed his first attempt as he forgot to put his shield down on his helmet....I totally agree with them failing people for stupid shit...Stupid IS SUPPOSED to get you hurt, so a little failing now and then is good thing. :D

I, on the other hand, failed the MSF course that I took with the son and wife. I refused to "cover the clutch" so in a panic you would reflexively pull in the clutch and not stall the bike. I knew the instructor and he used me as an "example" for what argueing would get you. I can't help it if I'm stubborn.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

I think I've missed one question on each of them since my first one and it pisses me off because I've always been great at taking tests.

6. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I had a license suspension a few years ago and had to re-take the written test. I aced it except for one question which went something like :

"When approaching a corner you must (in that order):

A) Release throttle, brake, release the brake, turn in, accelerate out of the corner;
    B) Release throttle, brake, turn in, release the brake, accelerate out of the corner;
    C) Release throttle, turn in, brake, release the brake, accelerate out of the corner;
    D) Some really stupid answer I can't remember, something like honk your horn and blink your lights, whatever.

So naturally I reply "B". Turns out they wanted "A" and I was like "WTF, the DOT dosen't want me to trailbrake !" lol

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Did you wear a white bucket, a wok or just go with the hollowed out coconut as a helmet for riding part?

8. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

THat makes no sense at all??? It's been quite a few years but I thought I recalled them making a point of having your keep a few fingers on the brake and clutch. I vaguely remember seeing something comparing the braking time w/o hovering and with hovering and the hovering decreasing stopping distance.

Any idea what their logic is on the not hovering?

9. Stirz

Stirz Makes my butt look big

In Utah the motorcycle endorsement is based upon what cc you tested on (If you test on a 250, that's what you can ride on the street). When I learned that, I showed up on a borrowed HD big twin (I figured that should cover pretty much everything). When I saw the cone course, I said NFW that lump would get through the cones and asked to come out the next day. Buell XB worked much better. Pass.

10. mcarter

mcarter Well-Known Member

Im in AL too and it was just a written test back in 94 when I was 14... 14 and on the road on a Ninja 250. That just doesnt sound right now that I look back on it. My parents must really trusted me

11. OldSlowGuy

OldSlowGuy Unregistered User

Nope.

They recommend that the clutch be covered during early skills development, genereally the first range day of the BRC, so that a quick squeeze of the clutch can remove power from the rear wheel. You can probably imagine the carnage that could occure if they had both covered and the bike stated, uh, running away with them...

Some ol' skool coaches take, uh, recommendations, to illogical extremes. :D

12. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

Seen A 50 Year old man do it on a gold wing with ZERO issues, then watched him win a skills contest later that year, that seemed impossible. he made it look pretty easy!

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And you were WRONG.

http://panthercity.net/MotoCops/

14. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have never taken one. Back in the day all you had to do in MS was pay an extra $1.00 and it was put on your regular drivers license. I've had it ever since. My wife took the MSF course on Honda rebels, wiped out a whole row of guys stopped on their rebels, she still passed and two of the dudes she ran over failed. She aced the written part at the DOT. Can she ride, yes, but stopping is a whole other issue most of the time.

15. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

So... can you do that?

I am pretty sure that I would fail horribly if asked to try that type of maneuvering without lots of practice. :crackup:

16. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

HAHAHA!!!:crackup:

17. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I bet if I had to take the written test for my motorcycle endorsement or heck, even my regular license I would fail right now.

18. OldSlowGuy

OldSlowGuy Unregistered User

Don't know if he could or not, but I sure can. Come take one of my classes if you can't... :up:

19. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

On a Harley? Not without a LOT of practice. On my R1100RS? Maybe. After a few trial runs. Can't be much worse at that than track days. :D

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No excuse except laziness to not learn it. I've seen the Ride Like a Pro team several times. Once you wrap your head around the skillset being opposite of cornering at speed it's easy. The bike doesn't matter.