1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed on dealing with a MC vendor

Discussion in 'General' started by antirich, Nov 28, 2012.

1. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Well, got an issue with an engine builder, so i figured the all mighty BBS would yield some experience and advice. The shop is on the other side of the country, so personal visits are out of the question. Here's the situation:

I sent out my bike's cylinder head to get done mid season, along with my exhaust adapters to get port matched. Work gets done, and the items shipped back. So far so good.

Well, UPS ends up 'destroying' the package, and nothing gets delivered. I contact them directly, and they know nothing. 'Tell the shipper to file a claim, item is destroyed' is the official answer i get. :mad:

Contact the shop, who is not happy with UPS. I still need a head and exhaust adapters, but they have none. These are impossible to find Triumph parts, so locating replacements are not easy (Arrow will not parts them without a whole system). After a few weeks of searching, i locate a used head and adapters. Spend a fortune to overnight them to the shop, for the next race is a month away. Still missed the last race, for they didn't get done in time, oh well :-(

After a few weeks, I follow up with the shop on the insurance claim. Apparently, he claims the package was insured for only $1000, and he was trying to get much more than that from UPS. He said this is an involved process, requiring proof of retail costs. I said fine, for i just want to be covered for my expenses (about $630 in parts and shipping). I offered to speak to UPS, but he didn't want to me to get involved.

Well, two months go by (after the original loss), and still nothing. I ended up calling a UPS claims manger who says the shipper has not completed the necessary documentation for the claim. I said this is my item that was lost by UPS, and I want to file a claim. As expected, UPS won't allow this, for the shipper is the only one that can.

I reach out again to the shop and ask them what's up. They claim that UPS is being a pain, how much money they out of, blah, blah, blah. The tone was a bit confrontational, which wasn't good to hear. I told them that if the item was insured for $1000, then I should be covered for my loss. I told him the amount I'm out of ($630), and he agreed to send me a cashier's check. I have all of this in an email.

Well, that was a month ago, and still nothing. A few more emails, and no reply. It's the end of November, so I know they're not busy.

I know most people just post the name of the shop and bad mouth them to no end. I'd really like to leave that as a last resort, for you can't undo the damage to someone's reputation, even if they make it right. And no, I don't want to hire anyone to harass the shop or make threats.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar issues with vendors from afar. Or, is there a way that someone can make a claim with UPS if the shipper is failing to do so? Obviously, this doesn't warrant a lawyer, for the value is too low.

Any rational advice?

-

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

This will tie right into the other " bad ups " thread.

If this unfolds like these threads usually do I'll bet pretty soon the shops name will be outed, they'll be shamed and will make good on it.

3. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I sold a 96 port cisco switch a few years ago to a person on ebay, I insured for about $1000 as it was used. I sold it to him for around 600.00.

Well by the time ups got the unit there is was no longer close to being square. So we filed claim and got the 600.00 back from ups.

I then had to send the 600 to the guy that got the cisco unit. He was happy to get a refund but in the end I was out of my product. So I still lost my 600.00 bucks.

UPS ins sucks, I called UPS and they had nothing to say. All in all I would guess it took a few weeks before we got our money back for him.

4. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

If UPS paid you $600 and you refunded the guy $600 it is the exact same result as if you sold the router. You have $600 and no router. Whats the problem?

5. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Maybe I'm slow but, yeah, what this guy said. How are you out?

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Now he has no router and no $600

7. 418

418 Expert #59

He got paid for selling the item, didn't he?

8. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

Somewhere he's now like, "oh shit! I paid that guy my money!" and there's a guy out there with an extra $600. He probably works for UPS. :D

9. Banditracer

I've been thinking about this too. If he got 600 from the guy and 600 from ups and gave 600 back to the guy shouldn't he still have 600 ? I'm not great in math but....

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Same as fractional banking but its a fractional router. That way he can sell the router over and over again. :D

11. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Ups paid him 600..

12. zippytech

Problem was my product got destroyed so I have nothing to sell.

13. zippytech

In the end I lost the sale and the product.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  14. gsxr1000bill

gsxr1000bill Well-Known Member

Sell item +$600
    Insurance- +$600
    Refund- -$600

600+600-600= $600

15. SLLaffoon

SLLaffoon Well-Known Member

Yea, but you got paid $600 twice. Once by the buyer, once by UPS. You gave the buyer his money back, but still were paid by UPS.

16. 418

418 Expert #59

You can't make shit like this up. :D

17. No you can't.

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

My head hurts from thinking about this.

19. Banditracer

If the guy had paid you and you just gave him his money back that's a wash. So essentially UPS bought your product for 600, right ?

Not trying to be a dick just trying to understand how you didn't end up with 600 bucks. :confused:

20. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

The OP should get allot out of this....:D