Race van's which one?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Houston hb, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

My buddy and I rock an 06 E350 extended van with the 6.0L diesel. Van gets around 20 mpg loaded up with 2 bikes and all our gear. No engine troubles but we have had some growing pains getting all the older problems sorted out from the previous owner (front end rebuilt, calpier rebuilds, etc.).

With the extended van we were able to leave the bench seat bolted down with the bikes loaded up. We also have the bikes mounted on the Pit Bull strapless stands so in the case of an accident the stands plus bench will keep everything in the back, hopefully.....

2. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

I think the Chevy's ride better and are more comfortable. A few places around buy fleet maintained vans and resell them for decent prices. Most are well maintained and have lots of life left. I have had 3 GM V8's last well over 200k miles.

3. Houston hb

Houston hb Well-Known Member

I really would like to sleep in this unit and also carry my bikes 2 r6's so would it be smart and save me more gas to get a box truck? If so which one or kind, and if not that then which make and model of vans to get?

4. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I owned a box truck when we started racing...it was cool when we got there but I could hardly afford to drive the damn thing....let alone parking it when not in use. At least a standard van is utilitarian enough to use regularly.

5. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

We bought two cheap fold up cots from wal-mart, they fold up on themselves similar to camping chairs. I am 5' 11" and my friend is 6' 3" and we both sleep inside the van just fine.

6. mpp12

mpp12 Well-Known Member

Use the E-350 ford with the V8 gasoline engine here in the gold mine, and it gives me like 13mph, and it all day going up and down the hill then takes me home in the hiway at 70mph for 70miles....

7. drop

drop Well-Known Member

My box truck is about 14mpg fully loaded. 2 bikes pit bike, all food and camping gear, fridge, microwave, all friends stuff tools and more

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

If its just you, an astro will fit 2 bikes and you can sleep in it fine.

But the cheapest route (barring toll roads) is a smaller minivan and an open trailer for the bikes. Any minivan has more than enough floor space for an air mattress, and they can all tow 3,000-5,000 lbs unless you buy the first generation sienna with the I4.

For your purposes, I'd avoid the models with fold-in-the-floor seats, because you keep the weight even with the seats "gone." Otherwise just do some homework on which evgines last.

9. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

my 2005 e350 is the way to go. 2 bikes in back plus gear. hauls 5 people. plus a trailer or camper if you want. you can sleep on the back seat. 20mpg. what more can i say awsome Lance

Attached Files:

10. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Where did you get that folding bed/bench?

11. Houston hb

Houston hb Well-Known Member

guys feel free to post up pictures of your units also

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

My old one-ton Dodge extended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I wish they bring this in States. I rented one this summer, 9 passenger little diesel van. Goes forever on one tank :)

[​IMG]

14. lance89

lance89 Well-Known Member

its a back seat out of a conversion van.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Nobody gonna field this one??? :D

16. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

:tut::D

I just picked this up....still in shock over the deal.

2007 E250, 5.4 L, 200K miles, monthly service at Ford dealer, power everything, front/rear heat/ac, CD, 15 passenger, fully finished/upholstered interior.
    Also has a hard, non-slip flooring (instead of carpet) from the cab, on back.
    LED lights already line the inside perimeter of the hi-top.

I'm 6'1" and can almost stand straight up in it.

$2000

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  17. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

No pictures of your units!!!!!:tut: Pics of vans will be fine:Poke::D

18. Yoyo

Yoyo Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and take a look as a Sprinter.
    Being able to stand up inside while you are loading the bikes or just suiting up is a nice feature.

19. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Nice!! Lotsa miles for a 5.4, but hard to go wrong at that price.

20. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Yea, it has a few miles, but since I've got a '95 Chevy with a 5.7 and 325K miles, 200k is low mileage to me. :)