Why doesn't Yates have anything good to say about the bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Aug 19, 2012.

1. chuckbear

chuckbear Totally radical, bro.

What do you think this is, racing?! :confused:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing at all. If Steve had held a racing line instead of pushing harder, sliding the bike around and even kicking it sideways to block whoever was behind him after being lapped I'd have no problem with it.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Cause I wasn't there I didn't get to see how Steve was riding before this. Was he not normally braking hard for those turns?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Moot point. He was not holding to just a line and he had been lapped - that changes how you need to ride, just as it would in a race where Steve is lapping JRP. This isn't club racing, it's professional racing at the highest level and needs to be treated as such. The show is more important than your race for second or third to last especially as a wildcard.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Aaron Yates whiney? That's too funny. I feel sorry for some of you.

6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

"Ignorance makes many experts!"

7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

TV must be different than seeing it...live. If dude was so fast he shoulda just blew by him, Insted he wasted time cussing in his helmet and kicking at the air.:crackup:

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I watched it on TV at the track and while I can appreciate your POV supporting the underdog I was disappointed at what Steve chose to do.

9. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

I will start by saying I have not seen the interview. I will sometime.
    Aaron Yates never whined about anything to me.

He gave incredible accurate feedback every session, on every single aspect of the motorcycle. The depth of knowledge he has of a motorcycle is amazing. He rode the bike to its fullest potential - no offense to say that is as fast as the bike will go - all parts are pushed to their 100% designed limit. I believe he rode the bike as fast as it could be pushed (without being hindered by a design flaw) - I believe he rode the bike faster than anyone else could on that day (complete project start to finish he was the man for the job).

Aaron is used to winning. He is a true competitor with extrodinary talent. I bet it stings everytime he was straffed by the regulars. I understand any comment he would have - I knew the politically correct thing to say would be tricky without sounding like an idiot praising a bike that is running at the back of the grid - then the comments are put together and makes it sound worse than it really is. It was reported we were having electronics trouble during practice when in reality Tony Pouge was turning up the idle - camera man in there and all.

I'm not taking offense at the superbike reference. That is how I was able to do things a little easier. The CRT rules mandate a Team/Manf to use a prototype frame, swingarm, tank, and bodywork. Seemed more simple to source the rest of the parts off the shelf...most popular brand for parts in usa is xxxxxx ....most parts are outlawed for existing ama rules but still being sold as garage sale items (slightly used even). Costs are lower too.

The key for me was could my bike be ridden faster than a superbike? Can it be pushed harder than a superbike? Does it change direction and behave better than a superbike? My focus is on how the chassis behaves and responds to adjustments. The chassis does everything correctly to allow the rider to go as fast as he possibly can. It never did anything weird.

carbon brakes: no experience with them but im familiar with how they work. Im in talks with a company to work on development of a system for my bike in the future. Im not so sure how much you can gain per lap... depends on the rider and alot of other variables like track, braking, directional changes, etc. This was my thought process: Go with what aaron was used to on brakes and focus on the chassis adjustments more. I thought a lap or two each time to get familiar was a lost lap and just another thing to monitor. I asked Aaron early on what type of brakes he liked and considered the layout of the track to put together a good combo for him.
    This is what I fitted to the bike:
    Galespeed master (adj ratio set on 20 position)
    Brembo rotors (yoyodyne)
    -2 goodridge line (custom 1 in to 2 with T fitting), staubli disconnect
    AP racing 4488 monobloc 4 piston calipers (with Ti pistons)
    vesrah brake pads
    AP Racing PRF brake fluid
    This is a firm feeling system with plenty of power (can be adjusted for more initial bite)
    The disconnect allowed me to have other masters and calipers on hand to test or swap out easily during a repair.

The first frame was welded together on the 26th of last month. I prepped and completed the assembly of chassis number 1 within about 11 days. I had it running then it was on track for the first time with Taylor Knapp at the AHRMA weekend at gingerman during friday practice (I'm not sure even what day that was).

I have improvements going on now. It is already on the bench and a second chassis is sitting next to it getting ready to go (lighter version). More power out of the engine and reducing the weight of the subframe assembly. Also lowering the fuel load in the chassis.

I want to do another GP by year end. I need to get the paperwork in soon (I also need about $30,000 to get it done) - know anyone interested in BIG signage on a gp bike? I have flight cases and am ready to go.

Knoctcher: I laughed so hard when I saw the pic you posted (thanks!!) - no words for you - good laugh

Everything is taken out of context - it does not matter - tons of conflicting reports out there - most have no idea how it all goes down. After the dust settles you also start to see if there were any shifty deals or funny business going on within the project.
    I do this for other reasons, the people close to the project all have smiles and are satisfied with what we are doing...and the direction I decide to take. Thank you for all your enouragement and to all my sponsors who make this happen!!

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Congratulations again Geoff. Just the concept of racing at the highest level, let alone actually going out and doing what you did is enough to scare most away and classify yourself as borderline-nuts. You really succeeded (at the former, not the latter). :)

My one burning question - did this project force you to jump off dial up and onto a high speed internet connection finally? :D

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Did the actual leader of the race have the same issue getting past Rapp?? Did he shake his fist or his boot at him, how about the #3 rider?? No I did not think so...:) I think you may be a LorenzoFanBoy..;)

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not a clue, didn't see when/where Pedrosa went around him.

Has nothing to do with who the rider is. I know Steve and like him more than Lorenzo, Steve is actually a customer and Lorenzo isn't. Doesn't change anything.

This is the kind of thing I find funny about people having to put effort into hating on a rider, what do you have against Lorenzo?

13. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Dial-up still (and my cell phone)
    Might make the jump in a couple months (maybe)

14. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I sill think Lorenzo was dogging it in the back straight and apologized to Steve for standing him up. But I live in fairy land :D

15. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid:

16. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

way to lay it out geoff:up:

keep up the good work !

17. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackhead:
    Heaven forbid a rider answer questions honestly. He said it was a great opportunity and mentioned some of the challenges. I didnt see anything disrespectful at all.
    Hats off to Geoff and the whole GP Tech crew who built a good bike in short time and also to Aaron for riding the wheels off of it.

18. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

You know me better, Who have I EVER hated on besides that JerkofaTurk "SooFogA-Loo"??

Nothing, I don't even know Lorensozo...just find it funny he had such a problem getting around, and made such a big dealio out of it.

Now I really don't like that nascar poser Joque Villanuve...doucher.

Oh, Hi Sean and Welcome back to GA ( I may have missed you)...LOL...how is the Hyper, battery dead? does it need to be rid'n??

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, didn't realize he was bitching about it over and over. I was talking about it as Steve did it and then on here.

The Hyper does need riding but it's going to have to wait. The Ultra turned into a Multistrada a few weeks back and the boss wants to go riding. Maybe Hans weekend after this one? Although I do need to go to Athens too so not sure I can make plans yet.

20. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I could handle the riding of the Hyper while your gone, will treat it just like "One of My Own"..:)

Yeah, you still owe me lunch...Is Hans still in biz, last time I went up there, they didn't sell BEER..so I quit going about a year ago.

You sold the ULTRA?? wow.