Recommend a Book

Discussion in 'General' started by sill'r B sill'd, Apr 25, 2012.

1. got40

got40 On hiatus...

All time favorite fiction: IT by Stephen King
    Best Book You have the Patience: The Iliad (I was actually pulling for the Trojans. Damn Achilles.)

Nonfiction (cuz that's all I read nowadays)
    Black Rednecks and White Liberals, Basic Economics, Applied Economics, and Economic Facts and Fallacies, and The Housing Boom and Bust, all by Thomas Sowell. Read these in the past 6 weeks or so and they are beyond brilliant.

A Brief History of Time, followed closely by A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking.

2. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Totally agree, that guy was a force of nature! Enjoy the book! :D

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

"The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston

You won't be able to put it down until you finish it, and you won't be able to sleep afterward.

4. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

That is a good one. Really compelling. I need to check out the other one someone said that went along with this.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I like autobiographies and biographies anymore. The Bob Mould book was okay enough but unless you're a Husker fan, it might be boring. I really dug the Don Rickles book, Mick Foley's book as well. Putter loaned me a killer book on the replacements, read it twice.

I'm waiting for my copy of Commando by Johnny Ramone to arrive.

6. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Shackleton! yes, probably the best story ever told. If you liked that see if you can find "Race to the Pole" about the failed Scott Expedition. Also "In the Heart of the Sea" is also an incredible tale about the whaling ship Essex sunk by a whale that was the basis for Moby Dick. Chuck Norris is a big pussy compared to the guys in those books.

7. bitchcakes

The "movie" is really pretty good. I would recommend that although I did not read the book.:up:

8. bitchcakes

I read Ron Jeremy's biography (it cost a dollar). It wasn't worth a dollar.

9. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I just read Life of Pi. Was a pretty good story.

I also recently read Young Stalin and The Court of the Red Tsar by this dude:

http://www.simonsebagmontefiore.com/books.aspx

Amazingly well documented and just insane to even begin to comprehend.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  10. exracer941

exracer941 Well-Known Member

Serge A. Storms is my hero. I listen to those on audiobook. Laugh out loud funny.

11. jmaher

jmaher Well-Known Member

Atlas Shrugged

12. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

Marine Sniper by Charles Henderson

13. bitchcakes

Diving for Dicks- by Greg Louganis

14. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

If this was the Dungeon, I would have suggested Your Erroneous Zones, by Wayne Dwyer.:D

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Thanks! Added to wishlist...

16. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:confused:

English help please! You do or you do not?

17. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Well, we were talking about books so that's why I suggested it:)

I haven't actually read it but I did watch the movie and I based my recommendation on that. The movie was excellent and I would think that as is normal the book would be even better.

I did see a documentary a couple of years ago based on "Into Thin Air", which was pretty good as well, however I did get the impression that most of the people involved were a bunch of amateurs in way over their heads.

18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Don't you have a scanner?:D:

19. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Reference? Author/title? Big placemats fan.

Looking in the pile, I've been on a music bio fling lately - Life by Keith Richards, My Appetite for Destruction by Steven Adler, It's So Easy by Duff McKagan. I'd only recommend the Richards. The G'n'R stuff is interesting only because of the things going on in my life at the time. Ahh, memories.

The Cornbread Mafia / James Higdon was a very interesting read on the marijuana industry in KY that descended from the moonshiner industry.

Haven't read any fiction worth mentioning. Went back and re-read a bunch.

20. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I just finished I Slept With Joey Ramone , a biography written by his brother. Picked it up at the library. The brother talks about himself too much but it's got some decent backstories about the band. Oh, and Joey's OCD.